Jump to content
RaidersAreOne

49ers trade Buckner to Colts

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Do you guys think Kinlaw is a target at #13 ? The D line could be just as good with a cheap(ish) guy for another 5 years.

He should be. Dont know if we actually pull the trigger again with what we've invested in the D-Line already but he's talented enough for his case to be made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Do you guys think Kinlaw is a target at #13 ? The D line could be just as good with a cheap(ish) guy for another 5 years.

Can't dismiss the possibility, but I don't get the sense that a IDL is in our plans for early draft picks. We do still have some solid IDL after losing Buck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Do you guys think Kinlaw is a target at #13 ? The D line could be just as good with a cheap(ish) guy for another 5 years.

I dont know - but they need to start being bottom drafters now and quit priming the pump with top talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont know - but they need to start being bottom drafters now and quit priming the pump with top talent.

Actually we had pretty good depth before all the injuries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sherm said:

Actually we had pretty good depth before all the injuries. 

SF's loaded at the moment.....thats why I want you picking down where your record would keep you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am shocked to say the least. I did not see this coming.

I can definitely understand the thinking behind this. At some point, we weren't going to be able to afford all the talent we had on the DL. But I guess I didn't expect us to do something about it so soon, turning a position of strength into a greater uncertainty than we expected it to be just a week ago. 

To be fair, you should all be calling me a genius, because I questioned whether Buckner might be traded... four years ago. When we hired Kyle and John, and it looked like we would go through a full-on rebuild, I suggested that maybe trading DeFo would make sense, just because of the draft capital we'd get in return, as opposed to trading AA, who would fetch us next to nothing, back then. And so they seemed to think this year, as there was a definite choice to make at some point, and it was between making Buckner one of the best paid defensive player in the league and trading AA for a lesser return, or signing AA for less and getting a greater return. And arguably, last year AA was the better player. And we do have some talent on the interior DL. And we're building this team around Bosa. He'll have to step up (even higher than he did as a rookie, without DeFo's help this time). 

Having the 13th pick sure is more exciting. Hopefully the FO doesn't swing and miss with that pick. It has to be a homerun, or else the hurt of losing Buckner will be the worst...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sherm said:

Actually we had pretty good depth before all the injuries. 

If we could get both Taylor and Jones healthy to start next season, even with the loss of DeFo the D-Line will still be nightmare for opposing teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If we could get both Taylor and Jones healthy to start next season, even with the loss of DeFo the D-Line will still be nightmare for opposing teams. 

I think I saw Taylor and Blair were both likely to start on PUP. I think Jones is fine right now if I remember his interview at the Super Bowl correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There has to be another move coming. I mean the DL is still going to be very good, but definitely a big loss in Buckner. So say we trade for Diggs/OBJ with 31st pick and then take a top level tackle that plays guard next season, would you consider the team getting better or worst? Right now no doubt the team is worst from the day we played the Super Bowl. 

It's so hard to guess. The defense isn't as strong, and to me the only way to stop the top offenses is with the top defense or an equally explosive offense. If that's what adding Diggs/OBJ and a tackle playing guard does (and don't get me wrong, I'd be very optimistic about it) then maybe it does make us better. 

But I was really set on running with the same four DL for another year and perhaps a receiver at #31 or traded for with pick #31 and having that be the only real major offensive change. I think we would have seen a very similar 2020 as 2019. 

But, the new contract details on Armstead will have me soften my stance a bit. It's less the 4M/year difference as originally suggested (though I am sure Buckner has some fluff of his own). I understand what is happening. I just don't love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

It's so hard to guess. The defense isn't as strong, and to me the only way to stop the top offenses is with the top defense or an equally explosive offense. If that's what adding Diggs/OBJ and a tackle playing guard does (and don't get me wrong, I'd be very optimistic about it) then maybe it does make us better. 

But I was really set on running with the same four DL for another year and perhaps a receiver at #31 or traded for with pick #31 and having that be the only real major offensive change. I think we would have seen a very similar 2020 as 2019. 

But, the new contract details on Armstead will have me soften my stance a bit. It's less the 4M/year difference as originally suggested (though I am sure Buckner has some fluff of his own). I understand what is happening. I just don't love it. 

For sure, I wanted to have the best DL in the game for one more season. I wanted a top level defense and then an already top 5ish offense. But looks like Shanahan is trying to have a DOMINANT offense and is going to spend a high pick on a WR or will be making a move for one. I mean we were in the Hooper sweepstakes so it shows Shahanan desperately wants to add more weapons on that side of the ball. I guess we shall see how this plays out, bur this is kind of similar to the Patriots trading away Chandler Jones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Leader said:

SF's loaded at the moment.....thats why I want you picking down where your record would keep you :)

Respect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If we could get both Taylor and Jones healthy to start next season, even with the loss of DeFo the D-Line will still be nightmare for opposing teams. 

I have no doubt we will have another top DL next yr. Just won't look the same as this prev season. That's why I was so sad after the SB. I knew this team wouldn't be back together again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

For sure, I wanted to have the best DL in the game for one more season. I wanted a top level defense and then an already top 5ish offense. But looks like Shanahan is trying to have a DOMINANT offense and is going to spend a high pick on a WR or will be making a move for one. I mean we were in the Hooper sweepstakes so it shows Shahanan desperately wants to add more weapons on that side of the ball. I guess we shall see how this plays out, bur this is kind of similar to the Patriots trading away Chandler Jones. 

The way I see it....and what I've been saying all off-season is no matter how stacked the interior D-Line was last year, once Ford got injured and we lost that bookend presence with Bosa, the pass-rush and its effectiveness took a nose dive. So maybe (I will say hopefully) the line of thinking is that if we strengthen the edges with more talent and bodies, we can get by with less talent along the interior. If we can add to edges in free agency, while using these two first-rounders to shore up other areas, it could very well end up strengthen the entire roster when all is said and done. At least that's what I'm holding out hope for...

Edited by 757-NINER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sherm said:

Respect. 

I'll show you some respect...but "fan 2 fan" you still stink LOL HA!
We'll get you this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The way I see it....and what I've been saying all off-season is no matter how stacked the interior D-Line was last year, once Ford got injured and we lost that bookend presence with Bosa, the pass-rush and its effectiveness took a nose dive. So maybe (I will say hopefully) the line of thinking is that if we strengthen the edges with more talent and bodies, we can get by with less talent along the interior. If we can add to edges in free agency, while using these two first-rounders to shore up other areas, it could very well end up strengthen the entire roster when all is said and done. At least that's what I'm holding out hope for...

I’d prefer two Boss’s to two Ducks. 
 

Just being funny. But cutting bait with Ford and this Buckner trade gives us the latitude to go after the other Bosa. That’s incredible for the wide 9 . 
 

just really really turned this off-season from boring to extremely interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×