49ers trade Buckner to Colts

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

I’d prefer two Boss’s to two Ducks. 

Just being funny. But cutting bait with Ford and this Buckner trade gives us the latitude to go after the other Bosa. That’s incredible for the wide 9 . 

just really really turned this off-season from boring to extremely interesting.

You know what...that's not bad detective work. And the Bosa Boys have made no secret about their desire to play together. Stay tuned....

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

You know what...that's not bad detective work. And the Bosa Boys have made no secret about their desire to play together. Stay tuned....

Some of the 49er Twitter-sphere are already saying there is gearing up for Joey already happening. 

Wait...I thought Joey had one more year with Chargers? If so, we can’t pursue that fantasy until next year, right? Hmmmmm.....

Trading Buck? While it did surprise me, it made sense to sign AA and get value for Buck. AA was obviously willing to take less for the team. We do have some rising potential in guys like Jones, Taylor, maybe Streets....

Sure glad I didn’t buy a Buck jersey! 😲

Shocked when i woke up today to see this. Thought he was the keeper on that d line this off season. But when you get an offer like the colts gave plus him wanting 21 mil a year (too much for a guy who disappears) you have to take it. Thats how good teams stay good make the tough choices. 

With the 13th pick and 31st pluss saving some  money makes this a much more flexible off season. 

Good job lynch.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/deforest-buckner-18955/

So he's only getting 45 Guaranteed? or is it 56 ish with the roster bonus?

There was a report we offered him 60-65 guaranteed last year but he wanted 70+.

So if the numbers are right, he and his camp pretty much just wanted to be in the 20 mill/year club?

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

On 3/16/2020 at 8:09 PM, PapaShogun said:

Yeah, I was thinking why the Colts would do this. Buckner is great, but is an interior DL going to really move the needle for their team? But I guess not much does unless you find a capable QB. 

there are a few reasons this was a great move by the colts:

1) They had very little interior pass rush last year. one of the worst in the NFL

2) They are a young team and buck is 26, his prime lines up perfectly with their window.

3) They have one of the smallest draft boards in the NFL. they are super picky about the type of human being they bring in. They are obsessed with their culture and getting guys that fit their mindset. They call them 'horseshoe players' Buck fits that to a T. (I know this because I watched a bunch of the path to the draft with ballard a few years ago and they wouldnt shut up about it).  Its basically the same strategy the pats use, thats why the pats trade down so much as well. 

4) they had to spend money. they havent spent very much over the last 3 years. I think they were reaching the floor requirements, which are based on 3 year average if I am not mistaken. 

5) They have multiple second rounders. trading away #13 doesnt prevent them from getting the type of player they want in the draft. Again, they have a very small board. Its why they trade down so much. They know they can get their guy a little later because other teams arent looking through the same lens that they are.

They have spent some quality draft picks on their defense recently. Buck is a guy that could turn them from average to good on that side of the ball. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/deforest-buckner-18955/

So he's only getting 45 Guaranteed? or is it 56 ish with the roster bonus?

There was a report we offered him 60-65 guaranteed last year but he wanted 70+.

So if the numbers are right, he and his camp pretty much just wanted to be in the 20 mill/year club?

yeah, that contract was over reported. This reminds me of the garoppolo contract. Team with 90m in cap space gives a large roster bonus in year 1 that saves them money down the road and allows them to cut him later on. 

He will make 92m over the next 5 years. Thats 19m per season. His cap hit this year is 23. Armsteads is 6. After that we pay AA more than the colts pay buck. 

maaaaan idk

• Like 1

Really nice deal for the Colts. Buckner also probably didn't mind the out after three years since he can hit the market again at the age of 29. I don't get why people think was such a bad deal for the Colts. Got a sure fire Pro Bowl caliber player who can get to All Pro level depending on the season on a really team friendly deal. If they didn't like the QBs in the upcoming draft, then giving up the 13th pick is not that big of a deal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 1:08 PM, N4L said:

Goddamn I will miss that guy

I rewatched two games from last year today. it was bittersweet every time buckner made a play. This trade still doesnt feel real. I am having a hard time picturing him in a colts uniform. 

He is just starting to reach his potential. Feels like as good as DEFO was, his best days of football are still ahead of him. 

That fumble recovery he made against the seahawks on MNF was my second favorite play/moment of that magical season. Such a huge momentum swing. That recovery he had against pittsburg was huge as well.