Lions sign OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai (5 year, $50 M)

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

A key difference is that our new DC faced against this guy every single practice since his rookie season. He knows the guy well enough and there's no question that BQ/MP asked him about him. If he was brought in off the street with no inside connection I would be a little more concerned about it. 

Familiarity is not always a good trait in a free agency signing, though. Sometimes that's just coaches being lazy or going with comfort. I remember the Herm Edwards days where KC signed every crappy New York Jets cast off they could find. Good old Jon McGraw. Or Todd Haley starting Leonard Pope at TE. A coach knowing a player could mean good insight, it could just mean bias.

And actually, now that I'm looking at who you're talking about, I don't think the Eagles DB coach is going to be that connected to or familiar with a backup offensive linemen, from a scouting perspective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

And actually, now that I'm looking at who you're talking about, I don't think the Eagles DB coach is going to be that connected to or familiar with a backup offensive linemen, from a scouting perspective.

How not? Undlin was hired by PHI in 2015, while Vaitai was drafted in 2016. Not only did Vaitai have 20 starts with PHI, but you don't think Undlin had a chance to see him on the practice field over those four years?

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

How not? Undlin was hired by PHI in 2015, while Vaitai was drafted in 2016. Not only did Vaitai have 20 starts with PHI, but you don't think Undlin had a chance to see him on the practice field over those four years?

In a literal sense, sure, I'm sure Undlin probably physically saw Vaitai's existence on the practice field every once in awhile.

I absolutely do not think Undlin, as a DB coach, spent any meaningful time watching Vaitai's performance on the OL, though. He'd be a little busy working with, you know, the DBs.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

In a literal sense, sure, I'm sure Undlin probably physically saw Vaitai's existence on the practice field every once in awhile.

I absolutely do not think Undlin, as a DB coach, spent any meaningful time watching Vaitai's performance on the OL, though. He'd be a little busy working with, you know, the DBs.

I agree. He may have some familiarity with him but his focus is DB’s. He’s not focusing on OT play.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I agree. He may have some familiarity with him but his focus is DB’s. He’s not focusing on OT play.

Familiarity was the question. Jakuvious said that he didn't think Undlin would be familiar with him. It seems that we both disagree... that, after four years, there would be some familiarity.

3 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Eh. Seems kinda ridiculous to suggest that, after four years of practice, a coach wouldn't be familiar with a player, even if that player played on the other side of the ball.

So you think nfl secondary coaches are spending practice time evaluating backup offensive linemen? Being vague with words like familiar? Just stop, if the eagles dB coach  was making a habit of watching the backup oline we will be needing a new  coach ourselves

Edited by BigC421/
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

So you think nfl secondary coaches are spending practice time evaluating backup offensive linemen? Being vague with words like familiar? Just stop, if the eagles dB coach  was making a habit of watching the backup oline we will be needing a new  coach ourselves

Who said evaluating? I sure didn't. Might want to read things over again.

53 minutes ago, BigC421/ said:

I was never suggesting that he was sitting in the meeting rooms with the guy. I was talking about how Undlin was on the defensive side of the ball and would have been a part of crafting the defense with Schwartz and other position coaches. They would have interactions in larger team meetings, there would be film from practices, chatter among coaches, etc. He didn't arrive there yesterday. He has been with the organization for multiple years. Undlin's interaction would only be one part of the overall process. BQ and MP would have to like what they see on tape while Undlin would provide a bit more 'up close and personal' perspective on the player/person. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Familiarity was the question. Jakuvious said that he didn't think Undlin would be familiar with him. It seems that we both disagree... that, after four years, there would be some familiarity.

I clearly said he would not be familiar with him from a scouting perspective. I'm sure he knows who the guy is.

5 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I was never suggesting that he was sitting in the meeting rooms with the guy. I was talking about how Undlin was on the defensive side of the ball and would have been a part of crafting the defense with Schwartz and other position coaches. They would have interactions in larger team meetings, there would be film from practices, chatter among coaches, etc. He didn't arrive there yesterday. He has been with the organization for multiple years. Undlin's interaction would only be one part of the overall process. BQ and MP would have to like what they see on tape while Undlin would provide a bit more 'up close and personal' perspective on the player/person. 

Yeah, exactly. More than reasonable.