Lions sign OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai (5 year, $50 M)

RaidersAreOne

This is a guy that I had identified as a potential option for us. It's a lot of money but it's not that much when you compare this contact to Wagner's with the Packers, factoring in age, level of play, etc. 

My understanding is that he was a swing tackle in Philly, so he could play either LT or RT if need be (versatility). 

3 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I like it. 26 years old and $10M per. Glad they made a move.

While Sliim might not like this, I still factor in Wagner's $5M of dead cap into the mix. We could either look at it as an $11M deal ($10M + $1M of dead cap per year) for the next 5 years or one year at $15M and others at $10M. This is still a good deal even if we factor in Wagner's dead cap. 

• Like 1

For me it is going to come down to the contract. that's a lot of dough for a backup RT.  If it is incentive based and not front loaded, it won't be as bad.  Is he worth only 4 million less than Conklin?  Is he better than Wagner? I just don't like this, but to be fair, I've never seen him play and can only go by with what I'm reading. I'm not a big fan at the moment, and I have a feeling I'm going to be looking at this all year and shake my head.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.

PFF has him rated at 72.8 while Conklin is rated as 78.0. If you use PFF as the baseline, Conklin is 7% better than Vaitai while his contract is 40% richer. Conklin also got paid $20M for this year. That's a couple blocks of cheddar.  @Karnage84

Fair Points.  I'll hold back my disdain, but deep down I loathe it.

1 minute ago, winitall said:

By cap hit he is now the 6th highest paid RT in the league and has never started a full season in the league. It's an extremely risky deal and I would have much rather signed Conklin at the higher price.

I'm not cool with investing $25M (Conklin + Wagner's dead cap) at RT for this year. 

What we're not talking about yet is, if Vaitai is worth $10M/year, what is Decker's new deal going to look like? He has to be in the $15M range.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm not cool with investing $25M (Conklin + Wagner's dead cap) at RT for this year. 

What we're not talking about yet is, if Vaitai is worth $10M/year, what is Decker's new deal going to look like? He has to be in the $15M range.

I brought this up the other day when I was saying I'd prefer Bulaga over Conklin for this very reason.  I still prefer Bulaga over this.  I don't know.  To me this IS super risky.  I don't know you can convince me we improved with this signing.  If this was a depth signing, I'd be all for it, but it is not.

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I brought this up the other day when I was saying I'd prefer Bulaga over Conklin for this very reason.  I still prefer Bulaga over this.  I don't know.  To me this IS super risky.  I don't know you can convince me we improved with this signing.  If this was a depth signing, I'd be all for it, but it is not.

I don't think that this rules out us possibly grabbing an OT on Day 2. 

9 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

For me it is going to come down to the contract. that's a lot of dough for a backup RT.  If it is incentive based and not front loaded, it won't be as bad.  Is he worth only 4 million less than Conklin?  Is he better than Wagner? I just don't like this, but to be fair, I've never seen him play and can only go by with what I'm reading. I'm not a big fan at the moment, and I have a feeling I'm going to be looking at this all year and shake my head.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.

I have a feeling that the guaranteed money will make this a much better deal. 5/50 looks a little crazy but I doubt those are the "real" numbers. If it is more than $25 guaranteed I would be a little upset. 

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

6'6, 320 lbs

PFF Score: 72.8

Run Blocking Score: 75.4

Pass Blocking Score: 62.1

I have some concern with that PFF score. Don't have a PFF subscription, but this article noted his score in 2017 was 56.6. That was the season he played the highest percentage of snaps for the Eagles. Obviously players improve, but I am concerned that his score on a very part-time basis is not representative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winitall said:

I have some concern with that PFF score. Don't have a PFF subscription, but this article noted his score in 2017 was 56.6. That was the season he played the highest percentage of snaps for the Eagles. Obviously players improve, but I am concerned that his score on a very part-time basis is not representative.

You could be right. That was also two years ago. Guys do develop. Undlin faced this guy in practice how many times a week? I have to imagine that they asked him about him before signing him to this kind of money. He has to see something in the guy to warrant the signing.