Dolphins sign CB Byron Jones (5 years, $82.5 M, $57 gt'd)

RaidersAreOne

34 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

That's fine, but he can kiss any hope of ever even playing in a conference championship goodbye. Have fun grinding in the weight room, beating yourself up to exhaustion in TC and games, all knowing it's for a pointless cause besides the money.

Dude get over it. Let the man live 😂 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

First of all, the Dolphins have been a mediocre for 20 years, but before that they were a playoff team almost every year with 2 SBs and 5 AFC Championships. They had one of the highest winning percentages in the league. Even if they were garbage for 50 years, literally anyone can turn it around. People said the same thing about teams like the Saints and Chiefs. It's all about getting the right people in charge, which is what Miami has failed to do in the last 20 years. The past is irrelevant with a whole new regime in charge (the owner doesn't get involved in the football stuff). 

The issue I have with your argument is that the organization hasnt had the right people still. Chris Grier has been the lead scouting department since 2007 and have had a few nice draft picks but a ton of massive busts yet he is the GM they need to cut ties with everyone and clear house before any of these moves make sense. When have their big moves worked out for them? What have the Phins done since buying the team in 2008? Outside of over paying players they havent shown anything that screams contender. Thats why people do not seem to buy in to this team as it reminds them of the browns both dysfunctional with an attempt to overpay players to mask the issues of not being able to put a proper team together to win championships. They need to build through the draft and pay their own players rather then overpay the free agents. They had to cut ties with a ton of players last year because of bloated contracts that Grier was involved in yet you are saying this is a whole new regime?

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

The issue I have with your argument is that the organization hasnt had the right people still. Chris Grier has been the lead scouting department since 2007 and have had a few nice draft picks but a ton of massive busts yet he is the GM they need to cut ties with everyone and clear house before any of these moves make sense. When have their big moves worked out for them? What have the Phins done since buying the team in 2008? Outside of over paying players they havent shown anything that screams contender. Thats why people do not seem to buy in to this team as it reminds them of the browns both dysfunctional with an attempt to overpay players to mask the issues of not being able to put a proper team together to win championships. They need to build through the draft and pay their own players rather then overpay the free agents. They had to cut ties with a ton of players last year because of bloated contracts that Grier was involved in yet you are saying this is a whole new regime?

Grier was just a yes man. This is the first time he's been in complete control. Ross hires the wrong people, but other than that he's hands off the football aspect of the team. The ultimate difference is whether Flores is the guy or not. The Dolphins biggest issue besides QB is that they get a new coach every 3 years. The team is being built in Flores image. If Flores is finally the guy, they can finally stop rebuilding the team in different schemes and finally build the team in only one image for years to come. Every time they got a new coach they would have to blow it up and build a team that fits that coaches' scheme. This put them in a constant state of rebuilding and instead of adding on to the foundation. They need stability. They're putting all their marbles into Flores. 

2 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

Grier was just a yes man. This is the first time he's been in complete control. Ross hires the wrong people, but other than that he's hands off the football aspect of the team. The ultimate difference is whether Flores is the guy or not. The Dolphins biggest issue besides QB is that they get a new coach every 3 years. The team is being built in Flores image. If Flores is finally the guy, they can finally stop rebuilding the team in different schemes and finally build the team in only one image for years to come. Every time they got a new coach they would have to blow it up and build a team that fits that coaches' scheme. This put them in a constant state of rebuilding and instead of adding on to the foundation. They need stability. They're putting all their marbles into Flores. 

and they have done that with gase, then philbin before that and the list goes on with coaches. They need to build a team organically not throw money at players. Look at the browns they are in the same boat they throw a ton of money at players hoping that same talent on a team turns it on to their scheme. Same thing with Jets last year and 2 years before that throwing big time contracts at players and never panned out. Byron may have been good with Dallas but may not translate to flores mind set. Grier is more then a yes man they can say what they want to the media but being the director in scouting since 2008 and then gm since 2016 means he has some form of say. You just dont promote a guy to agree with you for over 12 years. He came in when Ross bought the team, do you not see the issue in that as he is the only one to survive every year? I just dont see how you can think this regime is any different then the last 20 years, nothing has changed they still spend big in fa then kick the cap down the road when they need to make room after handing out bloated contracts and to reach for a qb in the draft, just watch when Herbert is the guy, the same one that Omar and other local media have trashed for several months thinking they were going to land Tua and now back tracking on what they are saying about Herbert and how he can turn this offense around. Its the same stuff being spewed every year, I hear it all the time. Dolphins won the offseason that is for sure but will that translate to the season, we will see in a few months. 

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

and they have done that with gase, then philbin before that and the list goes on with coaches. They need to build a team organically not throw money at players. 

If only Miami had a treasure trove of draft picks to build a team organically. 

6 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

and they have done that with gase, then philbin before that and the list goes on with coaches. They need to build a team organically not throw money at players. Look at the browns they are in the same boat they throw a ton of money at players hoping that same talent on a team turns it on to their scheme. Same thing with Jets last year and 2 years before that throwing big time contracts at players and never panned out. Byron may have been good with Dallas but may not translate to flores mind set. Grier is more then a yes man they can say what they want to the media but being the director in scouting since 2008 and then gm since 2016 means he has some form of say. You just dont promote a guy to agree with you for over 12 years. He came in when Ross bought the team, do you not see the issue in that as he is the only one to survive every year? I just dont see how you can think this regime is any different then the last 20 years, nothing has changed they still spend big in fa then kick the cap down the road when they need to make room after handing out bloated contracts and to reach for a qb in the draft, just watch when Herbert is the guy, the same one that Omar and other local media have trashed for several months thinking they were going to land Tua and now back tracking on what they are saying about Herbert and how he can turn this offense around. Its the same stuff being spewed every year, I hear it all the time. Dolphins won the offseason that is for sure but will that translate to the season, we will see in a few months. 

The difference is they are stockpiling picks and actually building through the draft. These big contracts are front loaded for a reason. Just because they are rebuilding doesn't mean they need to roll with a roster of Wal-Mart employees for 4 years. They have to spend the money and build a foundation while the rookies they draft will be on rookie contracts. How can Flores establish a winning culture when he has to coach horrible players who get burned on every play?

Also, I'm a Dolphins fan. I don't get my hopes up lol. I just see more of a plan in pace than I've seen in years. They all seem on board. In previous regimes, it seemed like the coach and GM were in constant conflict and there was uncertainty on what scheme or type of team they wanted to be. I know what Flores wants.

Edited by Lilseb93

2 minutes ago, FinSting said:

If only Miami had a treasure trove of draft picks to build a team organically. 

and if they had a guy who knows how to draft as GM....like I said 2008 director of scouting turned GM...12 years later still at the bottom with 1 playoff run to show for it. If you had a GM that knows how to draft then I would say this team is a contender but this guy hasn't done anything to prove he is the right man for the job. The same guy who drafted Dion Jordan, Charles Harris, Ryan Tannehill, Jake Long over Matt Ryan, I can go on but those seem pretty big moves that never panned out in the phins favor. So you can have this guy draft 3 times in the 1st round but it doesnt mean he will hit on all 3 heck I'll be shocked if he hits on 2 long term.