Ravens will NOT be signing DT Michael Brockers

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

With the way we've tackled certain trades and FA. I'm thinking we go heavy offense in the draft. Sprinkle 2-3 defensive players depending how the board falls. 

Still EDGE and LB that needs to be filled imo, but this signing (along with the Campbell trade) definitely pushes DI down from being a top tier need to "maybe some depth"

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

It seems like a fair bit of money, but I'd rather pay it to Brockers than the Michael Pierce that showed up last season.  I wonder what he's been asking for?

Absolutely. Considering how wildly out shape he showed up in for a contract year and how it drastically hurt his play on the field. Pierce would not get more than  a 1 year 5M prove it offer from me (before we signed his replacement). A team would be stupid to invest long term money and expect him not to mail it in. 

Edited by wackywabbit

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

JCampbell and Brockers were both major locker room leaders from everything I've seen. Always good to add that quality. We saw the effect a guy like Mark Ingram had on the young guys last year.

Yea, I remember when they did that preseason fluff stuff about the new "council" of leaders on defense with Judon, Tony Jefferson and Peanut and being less than sold that they were going to replace our leaders of the past. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

So glad to see the end of “Ravens player Ravens price” and the obsession with compensatory picks. Hasn’t been viable since the cap explosion and rollover 

I'm not sure that's what any of these moves indicate at all. EDC likes comp picks just as much as Ozzie did. This will probably cancel out a guy like Pierce, but I could easily see Peanut, Ward (if we can't retain him), and Jimmy Smith (if we can't retain him) all being eligible for award.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm going to go the other way. The FO saw the defense lag behind the offense for the first time in.... a long time. I think the priority for this offseason is and will continue to be addressing the weaknesses there. It would be a fun poll to put together but if we are to count draft capital spent on offense vs defense after the draft, I'm definitely thinking defense will take it.

I love your reasoning and I could see that happening too. I wouldn't even be against it. We've seen what out O can do. We're potent. What worries me in interior o line depth. I would like to add another receiver or two. I'd love to get a 3 down ILB early, if not the first. 

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Still EDGE and LB that needs to be filled imo, but this signing (along with the Campbell trade) definitely pushes DI down from being a top tier need to "maybe some depth"

Of course, yes. I feel like with these additions, guys like Bowser and Ferguson can continue to grow. They're gonna create gaps, there's no doubt about it. That's huge for the guys behind them. If we keep Judon, he's going to have a monster year. 

I LOVE this move. Prior to Aaron Donald arriving to the Rams, Michael Brockers was thought of as one of the top up and coming DIs in the league. He’s a top run stopper and he’s able to pressure the QB at a quality clip. Plus Michael Brockers has 35” arms at 6’5” and with Calais Campbell adding 35 3/4” arms at 6’8”... there is going to be A LOT of clogged passing lanes on their way to collapsing the pocket.

I honestly had forgotten that Brockers was even available, but this move makes a TON of sense. We like our 34 DEs to play their gaps to shutdown the run on their way to the QB vs shooting gaps and giving up rushing lanes because of it. Both Brockers and Campbell accomplish both of those aims. What’s more Brandon Williams at NT was the best in the league at that spot, its a credit to his athleticism that he’s been able to compete at DT (further from the QB making his size disadvantage more prominent) to make the DL better. Getting him back in the inside will be a boon in run defense.

Judging from the tea leaves, these moves all feel like moves made for three reasons 1) To prevent a Derrick Henry situation from happening, which also happened earlier in 2019 versus the Browns- the length and run stuffing com2) To muddy passing lanes- obviously Mahomes will have to be contended with, but Baker Mayfield cannot be forgotten. The Browns with a (likely) superior coach have to be taken seriously as a credible threat to the AFCN crown and what better way to befuddle a 6’0” Baker Mayfield than with guys with elite level length inside collapsing his pocket. 3) You obviously can’t discount both the leadership that both players bring to the equation as well as the most important concept, they are both veteran players that are looking to win that championship ring for their legacy. On any championship team, you have to have enough dogs that are hungry for that ring to get it done.

———————

We also can’t discount the role that Eric Weddle may have played in both aiding in recruiting Brockers FOR the Ravens as well as recruiting Brockers TO the Ravens. Slight distinction but he was playing all season with this guy and who better to reach out to the organization and say, “you need this guy on the field and in your locker room” and be a trusted voice and then conversely who better to reach out to Brockers and say, “you need to go play for the Ravens, you might get more elsewhere, but this organization is not going to let you down, this is where you want to be”.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I LOVE this move. Prior to Aaron Donald arriving to the Rams, Michael Brockers was thought of as one of the top up and coming DIs in the league. He’s a top run stopper and he’s able to pressure the QB at a quality clip. Plus Michael Brockers has 35” arms at 6’5” and with Calais Campbell adding 35 3/4” arms at 6’8”... there is going to be A LOT of clogged passing lanes on their way to collapsing the pocket.

I honestly had forgotten that Brockers was even available, but this move makes a TON of sense. We like our 34 DEs to play their gaps to shutdown the run on their way to the QB vs shooting gaps and giving up rushing lanes because of it. Both Brockers and Campbell accomplish both of those aims. What’s more Brandon Williams at NT was the best in the league at that spot, its a credit to his athleticism that he’s been able to compete at DT (further from the QB making his size disadvantage more prominent) to make the DL better. Getting him back in the inside will be a boon in run defense.

Judging from the tea leaves, these moves all feel like moves made for three reasons 1) To prevent a Derrick Henry situation from happening, which also happened earlier in 2019 versus the Browns- the length and run stuffing com2) To muddy passing lanes- obviously Mahomes will have to be contended with, but Baker Mayfield cannot be forgotten. The Browns with a (likely) superior coach have to be taken seriously as a credible threat to the AFCN crown and what better way to befuddle a 6’0” Baker Mayfield than with guys with elite level length inside collapsing his pocket. 3) You obviously can’t discount both the leadership that both players bring to the equation as well as the most important concept, they are both veteran players that are looking to win that championship ring for their legacy. On any championship team, you have to have enough dogs that are hungry for that ring to get it done.

———————

We also can’t discount the role that Eric Weddle may have played in both aiding in recruiting Brockers FOR the Ravens as well as recruiting Brockers TO the Ravens. Slight distinction but he was playing all season with this guy and who better to reach out to the organization and say, “you need this guy on the field and in your locker room” and be a trusted voice and then conversely who better to reach out to Brockers and say, “you need to go play for the Ravens, you might get more elsewhere, but this organization is not going to let you down, this is where you want to be”.

I would add to this that Campbell and Brockers may not be premier interior rushers at this point in their careers, but they have the versatility to contribute positively there. If we're in a close game vs. a team with a good rushing attack, they can play an alignment like what you posit above. Conversely, if the Ravens get out to a good lead and have the other team throwing to catch up, both Campbell and Brockers can provide value as interior rushers. Ultimately, both are a boon for the "positionless football" Wink likes to play.

• Like 1