Ravens will NOT be signing DT Michael Brockers

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

With the way we've tackled certain trades and FA. I'm thinking we go heavy offense in the draft. Sprinkle 2-3 defensive players depending how the board falls. 

The way our team is set up. No high price WR will want to sign up with us. My mindset was always: 

Aim for defense in free agency, draft offense. 

Have some young WRs grow with Lamar.

• Like 2

Yeah the front office looks like it’s trying to recreate that 2006 defensive front. Calais Campbell is playing the Trevor Pryce role as DE/LDT, Michael Brockers will play the role of rookie Ngata at DT/RDT, and Brandon Williams is playing the role of Kelly Gregg.

Tyus Bowser will have big shoes to fill as he’s the ever versatile Adalius Thomas option. The rest of the front 7 is and back 4 is a bit more positionless, but Dawan Landry is Chuck Clark, Ed Reed is Earl Thomas, Chris McAlister is Marlon Humphrey, Samari Role is Marcus Peters, Corey Ivy is Tavon Young (clearly an upgrade in the secondary). Bart Scott is likely to be replaced with resigning Josh Bynes to a cheap deal.

We just have to find players to fill the roles of Terrell Suggs and Ray Lewis. Potential options on that front look like Yetur Gross Matos and Patrick Queen respectively. Queen can fly sideline to sideline and YGM can shutdown the run on his way to the passer.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah the front office looks like it’s trying to recreate that 2006 defensive front. Calais Campbell is playing the Trevor Pryce role as DE/LDT, Michael Brockers will play the role of rookie Ngata at DT/RDT, and Brandon Williams is playing the role of Kelly Gregg.

Tyus Bowser will have big shoes to fill as he’s the ever versatile Adalius Thomas option. The rest of the front 7 is and back 4 is a bit more positionless, but Dawan Landry is Chuck Clark, Ed Reed is Earl Thomas, Chris McAlister is Marlon Humphrey, Samari Role is Marcus Peters, Corey Ivy is Tavon Young (clearly an upgrade in the secondary). Bart Scott is likely to be replaced with resigning Josh Bynes to a cheap deal.

We just have to find players to fill the roles of Terrell Suggs and Ray Lewis. Potential options on that front look like Yetur Gross Matos and Patrick Queen respectively. Queen can fly sideline to sideline and YGM can shutdown the run on his way to the passer.

I sort of like where Wink has landed on this one. ILB sort of being the odd man out in terms of resource allocation and platooning that spot with a bunch of imperfect players with useful individual skills (e.g., Fort, Bynes, various DBs, a rookie) vs. an every down guy.

22 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Queen weighed in at 229 at the combine. After the Peanut experiment crashed and burned last year, I wonder if we are willing to trust another extremely light ILB with such responsibilities. 3-4 ILBs should be a bit beefier IMO. Especially since we run a lot of defensive formations with only 2 DL. I think he's more of a 4-3 WILL type player. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Queen weighed in at 229 at the combine. After the Peanut experiment crashed and burned last year, I wonder if we are willing to trust another extremely light ILB with such responsibilities. 3-4 ILBs should be a bit beefier IMO. Especially since we run a lot of defensive formations with only 2 DL. I think he's more of a 4-3 WILL type player. 

230lbs is the new norm at LB though.  Bobby Wagner is listed at 234lb, Darius Leonard 230lbs, Eric Kendricks 232lbs, Lavonte David 233lb.  Luke Kuechly was less than 10lbs heavier at 238.

The days of the 250+lb thumper at LB are largely gone now in favour of LBs that can cover - and that is the mold that Queen is in

10 minutes ago, drd23 said:

230lbs is the new norm at LB though.  Bobby Wagner is listed at 234lb, Darius Leonard 230lbs, Eric Kendricks 232lbs, Lavonte David 233lb.  Luke Kuechly was less than 10lbs heavier at 238.

The days of the 250+lb thumper at LB are largely gone now in favour of LBs that can cover - and that is the mold that Queen is in

I think the Seahawks, Colts, and Vikings all play 4-3. Bucs have been 4-3 for awhile until Bowles took over last year, and his system is more of a hybrid scheme. 

A counter example, Donte Hightower is definitely 250+.

Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but Patrick Queen has only 1 year of college experience. We have found out that we can't just plug and play fast guys in our ILB spot and assume they will have success. Queen might be a great NFL LB but I'm not sure he's ready physically and mentally for what our ILB position demands. Whereas you could immediately plug him at WILL in a 4-3 and he'd be good.  

18 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I think the Seahawks, Colts, and Vikings all play 4-3. Bucs have been 4-3 for awhile until Bowles took over last year, and his system is more of a hybrid scheme. 

Considering base defenses are only used about 30% of the time, its a distinction that is losing its value. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Considering base defenses are only used about 30% of the time, its a distinction that is losing its value. 

That is true. But, for instance, I think the Ravens ran quite a lot of 2 DL formations last year. That would require and ILB who is heftier against the run, not lighter. 

If teams are running more nickel, then it is even more important that ILB can hold up against runs between the tackles, because there is less beef among DL and LBs. 

Onwuasor didn't fail last season because he wasn't 250 lbs. He failed because he sucked, plain and simple. If the team is going to invest quality assets in a linebacker I would prefer it to be a guy that can stay on the field for all three/four downs - which generally means someone that can drop back and not get roasted in the passing game. That's the priority. 

I still think Alaka is going to be a nice situational thumper. If not, bring in another undrafted free agent for that role. The Ravens have been pretty good about that. It's the "main" piece that they've needed to spend money/assets on in Lewis and then Mosley. Don't be afraid to do it again, this time for a defender that fits the modern game.

• Like 2