Ravens will NOT be signing DT Michael Brockers

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, M.10.E said:

This is the most "interesting" thing we've done so far. I am glad to see less of Chris Wormley though.

Calais Campbell is a significantly more "splashy" acquisition. I like this move to strengthen the line, but he's not going to be the playmaker CC is.

The more I think about it the more I like this line. Campbell - Williams - Brockers is the stoutest grouping the team has had... maybe ever. That's a literal wall of muscle. But the two edge guys have a lot of length and reach too, which is something the team has been sorely missing. They're going to command double teams more often than someone like Pierce had or even Williams on the edge. This opens up so much more for the edge rusher and linebackers/dimes to work where they need to around the LOS. Bowser is going to feast. Maybe Ferguson can do something. And if Judon is kept around this will be the most help he's ever had from the line. I'm excited. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

Considering base defenses are only used about 30% of the time, its a distinction that is losing its value. 

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

Onwuasor didn't fail last season because he wasn't 250 lbs. He failed because he sucked, plain and simple. If the team is going to invest quality assets in a linebacker I would prefer it to be a guy that can stay on the field for all three/four downs - which generally means someone that can drop back and not get roasted in the passing game. That's the priority. 

I still think Alaka is going to be a nice situational thumper. If not, bring in another undrafted free agent for that role. The Ravens have been pretty good about that. It's the "main" piece that they've needed to spend money/assets on in Lewis and then Mosley. Don't be afraid to do it again, this time for a defender that fits the modern game.

Agree completely with these POVs. What’s more, we just added two HOG mollies upfront to keep Queen protected from opposing OL. All are double team options and if you don’t they’ll get TFL, if you double them, Queen is there to clean things up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

The more I think about it the more I like this line. Campbell - Williams - Brockers is the stoutest grouping the team has had... maybe ever. That's a literal wall of muscle. But the two edge guys have a lot of length and reach too, which is something the team has been sorely missing. They're going to command double teams more often than someone like Pierce had or even Williams on the edge. This opens up so much more for the edge rusher and linebackers/dimes to work where they need to around the LOS. Bowser is going to feast. Maybe Ferguson can do something. And if Judon is kept around this will be the most help he's ever had from the line. I'm excited. 

Yeah literally the only iteration of our defense I could think of with a similarly dominant front of hog mollies that could also rush the passer was 2006. That’s probably still ahead of this unit until otherwise shown as Ngata-Gregg-Pryce was proven formidable, but it definitely wouldn’t surprise me if this unit is able to surpass that one. I’m intrigued to see what it looks like nonetheless. The length offers so much potential for high amounts of PBUs unlike anything we’ve ever seen.

Especially if we add a pass rusher like YGM, I have some issues with him on the effort/plan side when it comes to pass rush, but his edge setting is incredibly formidable and his length to disrupt passing lanes cannot be taught. The potential defense being built here is enough to remove Chubb while giving a Chubb.🤓

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Calais Campbell is a significantly more "splashy" acquisition. I like this move to strengthen the line, but he's not going to be the playmaker CC is.

I agree, I just meant that Calais is obviously a no brainer deal, but to do Brockers after Calais is interesting.

34 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

I agree, I just meant that Calais is obviously a no brainer deal, but to do Brockers after Calais is interesting.

Yeah I think it's especially interesting given our needs at ILB that they took a look at the market and essentially decided that spending on better linemen can do more to help our linebackers than spending big on above average but not elite LB's like Schobert or Littleton. 

29 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Yeah I think it's especially interesting given our needs at ILB that they took a look at the market and essentially decided that spending on better linemen can do more to help our linebackers than spending big on above average but not elite LB's like Schobert or Littleton. 

Yes I thought they might invest in an ILB, but am totally on board with beefing up the DL. I think they got great value there. 

The question now is whether they will fill ILB with a cheap veteran before the draft, or go in to the draft with a hole at that position.

1 hour ago, BareYourTeeth said:

FWIW we are in unprecedented times and the inability to get him in the facility may translate to an abundance of caution.

For the Suh part of this, it reads like it may be a little bit of post-hoc dot connecting.