Ravens will NOT be signing DT Michael Brockers

RaidersAreOne

Wow. Brockers was a great scheme fit. This is a big blow.

That said hadn’t really considered him before hand.

Prior to all this I thought Calais Campbell and/or Marcell Dareus would be great FA additions. Dareus would cost less than Brockers and provide similar run impact. Though the elite length isn’t there, he’s still got more ideal size than Brandon Williams if he’s willing to play DE again as he did in Buffalo.

Only problem is I thought the Jags would have to cut him vs simply not picking up a team option year... that’s a huge difference as Dareus would now count against the cap formula whereas I didn’t think that he would initially.

Also if no one else is playing poker and the highest deal Clowney is able to ascertain has been $17m, I would prefer Clowney to Judon. While neither is advanced in their pass rush moves, Clowney is at least a souped up version. He’s just not as durable. He would bring the desired length and he’s an elite run defender... which Judon is not.

Signing Clowney would mean we could pickup a Raekwon Davis or Justin Madubuike in the second round of the draft and still be set inside. The edge position would be pretty set with a capable 3rd round pass rusher with potential being a perfect addition for the eventual snaps Clowney would lose to durability. 

33 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Wow. Brockers was a great scheme fit. This is a big blow.

That said hadn’t really considered him before hand.

Prior to all this I thought Calais Campbell and/or Marcell Dareus would be great FA additions. Dareus would cost less than Brockers and provide similar run impact. Though the elite length isn’t there, he’s still got more ideal size than Brandon Williams if he’s willing to play DE again as he did in Buffalo.

Only problem is I thought the Jags would have to cut him vs simply not picking up a team option year... that’s a huge difference as Dareus would now count against the cap formula whereas I didn’t think that he would initially.

Would he? The CBA changed the rule so that teams not picking up an option wouldn't be eligible for a comp pick, the player would be "cut" for compensatory purposes. I would think that would have to work in reverse as well for the signing team, no?

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 6:52 PM, sp6488 said:

FWIW we are in unprecedented times and the inability to get him in the facility may translate to an abundance of caution.

For the Suh part of this, it reads like it may be a little bit of post-hoc dot connecting.

Give me the L on this one.

41 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Would he? The CBA changed the rule so that teams not picking up an option wouldn't be eligible for a comp pick, the player would be "cut" for compensatory purposes. I would think that would have to work in reverse as well for the signing team, no?

Tbh I had made an assumption, but your logic makes a lot of sense. So if your logic holds true than I would easily take on Marcell Dareus. He already has plenty of experience working with Calais Campbell along the DL so it would definitely be an ideal fit in a season with reduced training camp time.

11 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Meh. I think the team went in with completely open eyes on that trade.

Well now we have a hole in our starting DE spot, with nobody to fill it. 

Looking over our recent DL draft picks (Wormley, Kafusi, Carl Davis), I'm not optimistic that a draft pick is coming to come in and be productive in year 1. Looking at the remaining free agents, I don't see anyone who is a great scheme fit. Would much rather have Wormley at $2 mil than any of the FAs. 

Not getting Brockers doesn't suck as much as it sucks that it took a week and a half to resolve itself and we lost out on some alternatives as a result. Though given that we made an offer on Suh it seems like they had already started moving on prior to this becoming official.

Hard to assess how big a deal this is until we see how the cap space is otherwise used. Would think Marcel Dareus, Shelby Harris, and Derek Wolfe are all targets for us now. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Well now we have a hole in our starting DE spot, with nobody to fill it. 

Looking over our recent DL draft picks (Wormley, Kafusi, Carl Davis), I'm not optimistic that a draft pick is coming to come in and be productive in year 1. Looking at the remaining free agents, I don't see anyone who is a great scheme fit. Would much rather have Wormley at $2 mil than any of the FAs. 

Meh. Wormley hasn’t really made much improvements from being a rookie. Continuing to ride with a sunken cost makes no sense. Would much rather pay a rookie that has potential $1m to figure it out for the stretch run than to pay Wormley a dime more to be the epitome of average play. He’s not commanding double teams, opposing teams could probably even leave him unblocked to target our other front 7 options. At least with a rookie they have the potential to earn their own clout upfront and learn from a dominant veteran with great habits in Campbell.