Ravens will NOT be signing DT Michael Brockers

RaidersAreOne

55 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Well now we have a hole in our starting DE spot, with nobody to fill it. 

Looking over our recent DL draft picks (Wormley, Kafusi, Carl Davis), I'm not optimistic that a draft pick is coming to come in and be productive in year 1. Looking at the remaining free agents, I don't see anyone who is a great scheme fit. Would much rather have Wormley at $2 mil than any of the FAs. 

My point was that the team clearly knew this was a possibility when they dealt Wormley. They were actually the only ones potentially aware of it for a while there (other than Brockers and his agent). I doubt they would have made the trade if they would be dying to get Wormley back now that this fell through. 

The team could obviously draft someone with first 5 picks and/or add one of the names that's still out there.

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. Wormley hasn’t really made much improvements from being a rookie. Continuing to ride with a sunken cost makes no sense. Would much rather pay a rookie that has potential $1m to figure it out for the stretch run than to pay Wormley a dime more to be the epitome of average play. He’s not commanding double teams, opposing teams could probably even leave him unblocked to target our other front 7 options. At least with a rookie they have the potential to earn their own clout upfront and learn from a dominant veteran with great habits in Campbell.

I've said it before, but this undersells the value that Wormley did have a bit. The "epitome of average" =/= being frequently unblocked and a non-factor. He was a useful player who largely justified his draft status. The bigger issue is that he didn't exceed his draft position and he only has one more season of cheap control. We need to get younger on the DL (thinking about the talent pipeline for the future) and he was taking a 53 man spot that could be occupied by one of our (as it stands now) 9 draft picks, who would have the potential to exceed his average level of play.

• Like 2

Well, darn. There goes the idea of starting an iron wall along the defensive line. This probably isn't too big of a blow considering the Ravens only used 1.9 defensive linemen per play on average, but that would have been a nice front when they actually did go with more guys up front. Looks like that spot should be added back to the top draft needs list. Or maybe they just play Ward there more often this year. That doesn't sound bad. 

Whatever happens, just let Williams move back to NT full-time. That's one of the biggest upgrades the team has made so far. No more spotting him out at the DT slot in the odd front. 

8 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I've said it before, but this undersells the value that Wormley did have a bit. The "epitome of average" =/= being frequently unblocked and a non-factor. He was a useful player who largely justified his draft status. The bigger issue is that he didn't exceed his draft position and he only has one more season of cheap control. We need to get younger on the DL (thinking about the talent pipeline for the future) and he was taking a 53 man spot that could be occupied by one of our (as it stands now) 9 draft picks, who would have the potential to exceed his average level of play.

Unless it's a first round pick, I don't think we can expect a rookie to exceed what Wormley would have provided this season. Since we are a Super Bowl contender, I don't like the idea of downgrading our roster and losing production at DL. 

Now, if we sign another FA to replace Brockers who is comparable, that would be a different story. From what I see out there:

Shelby Harris is probably the best fit. 

Mike Daniels and Snacks Harrison are a bit older, injury concerns. 

Derek Wolfe would probably be the most comparable to Wormley. 

Timmy Jernigan I though never really fit in the defensive scheme, that's why they traded him in the first place.