Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham, 2 years 16 million

TankWilliams

5 hours ago, soulman said:

I don't think it matters what skill position on offense we talk about players are either a fit with the team who drafts them or they're not.

We see all kinds of players who under perform their draft status then move on and become far more productive with another team.  There are always exceptions who will be All Pros anywhere they play but there are many who won't be.  Team who get too enamored of Combine performance and over look football performance often end up with guys they believe they can teach to play better and end up disappointed when they can't.  White and Shaheen seem to be two examples of this.

Right now look no further than Nick Foles whose thrived in Andy Reid based offenses run by Reid acolytes but hasn't done nearly as well under other coaches in systems that don't fit his skills as well.  Amari Cooper began to have issues playing in Oakland with Carr but just signed the biggest contract any WR has ever been given after only 1 1/2 seasons in Dallas.  Nagy's offense apparently requires a very specific skill set for his "U" TE and so far we haven't found anyone who can produce for him like Kelce did who was a 3rd round pick.

I think we're saying the same thing? Kelce is again, a rare exception where minus his rookie year on IR, he's been a playmaker.

I'm fine with them taking multiple shots in the draft on TE and OL. If those are the most important parts of the offense, give them as many shots as you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The joke wasn’t funny the first time. Who is he talking about?

You’re serious.

Well, that is an interesting take on it.

In this system JG will be targeted 5-8x per game. He is smart and durable, has great size and strength 

I think he easily averages 4 catches and gets to 500 yds with 6-8 TDs ... these #s would far exceed anything we got out of the position last year

Edited by SLCbear

33 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

In this system JG will be targeted 5-8x per game. He is smart and durable, has great size and strength 

I think he easily averages 4 catches and gets to 500 yds with 6-8 TDs ... these #s would far exceed anything we got out of the position last year

Actually, with Trubisky's reliance on the quick passing game and Foles having a fair history of TE utilization, he may actually get those numbers. I imagine Burton's going to be healthy so maybe he will have some of the athleticism back that he clearly lacked last year. We aren't going to get our money's worth out of the TE group IMO but hopefully it takes some of the pressure off of ARob. 

My concern is that even if you have 4 wide with ARob and Miller on the outside and both Burton and Graham in the slots you still have a pretty bad run blocking group. I'm not sure our top 2 TEs are even above average blockers compared to most WRs. 

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

He is cooked and can barely run.

One of us will be right. 

2 hours ago, SLCbear said:

You may end up right, especially if Pace continues to suck addressing the position successfully. 

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is cooked and can barely run.

One of us will be right. 

In all fairness, if he catches 4 passes per game and totals 500 yards then that averages out to an anemic 7.8 ypc. That's a lot of curls and dump offs as Massie whiffs on blocks and Leno gets bullrushed to hell. 

You might both end up being right. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 9:31 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Had we given $7M in 2020 to a more broken down Greg Olsen instead of $9M over 2 years to Jimmy Graham to fill the same exact role fans would have rejoiced. 🤷‍♂️

I would’ve understood what we got and also known he wouldn’t have offered much. Olsen is old and broken but has been fairly reliable in recent years whereas Graham hasn’t been considered good since like 2013 

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

There are several examples here directly refuting that he “can barely run.”

Everyone’s highlight tape looks great.

Can he consistently get open anymore? I don’t see a guy who can consistently get away from LBs.

18 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Everyone’s highlight tape looks great.

Can he consistently get open anymore? I don’t see a guy who can consistently get away from LBs.

That’s a far cry from saying he “can barely run.” He’s not getting away from LBs in that video though - it’s almost exclusively him getting open or making plays against DBs. But whatever fits your narrative I guess. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

There are several examples here directly refuting that he “can barely run.”

Looks pretty OK to me.  But as I said before we aren't getting Graham in his prime and we also aren't paying for Graham in his prime.

GB may have wished they could have kept him but they had even less cap space than we did and clearly Graham no longer deserves to be the highest paid TE in the NFL which he was in GB.  And we sure as hell didn't give anyone else a shot at him.  We jumped right in.

If nothing else he knows how to run routes correctly and he's always had great hands so despite his age he's still an upgrade for us.