Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham, 2 years 16 million

TankWilliams

20 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Once we release Shaheen and Braunecker (both of which seem like just a formality at this point) we will recoup almost half ($2.7M) of Graham’s cap hit for 2020. 

I was gonna go back and add that so good pickup.  Yeah, if we release them that about covers Graham's salary and all we're left with is the hit for is SB.  This is the kind of thinking that goes on inside Halas Hall the media never covers so few posters pick up on it either but the net cost (cash and cap) may well be closer to $3 mil for a proven pass receiver vs signing another 2nd tier or 3rd tier guy simply to compete.  And if Burton does recover 100% our weakness is no longer a weakness but at least Pace assured us of a vet TE  if he doesn't.

Holtz is an ERFA so he should be back on a minimum salary as backup to Harris and possibly as someone who can also play some FB.

And then we have Horsted and Raymond along with a few other bodies in the pipeline hoping one might ascend.  I would not jump on any of these TE's early.  The crop is not that good.  Instead I'd use the higher picks on an OL who can start or worst case be a front line backup and then a BPA at either SS, CB, or WR.  Someone we can't pass up whose fallen in our laps.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, soulman said:

I would not jump on any of these TE's early.  The crop is not that good.  Instead I'd use the higher picks on an OL who can start or worst case be a front line backup and then a BPA at either SS, CB, or WR.  Someone we can't pass up whose fallen in our laps.

This is pretty much where I’m at too, though OL will fall back into that BPA pack once (if) we sign someone capable of starting at RG. I have to think Pace is going to be looking to trade back at least once to recoup some R3/4 pick(s). There is quite a bit of talent at IOL/SS/CB/WR in rounds 2-4. My gut instinct is to find a guy who excels in RAC to take those RPO/screen hits we run frequently and do something with them. Aiyuk and Reagor are my guys for that if it’s round 2. I’d say Shenault too but he’s a health risk right now and we can’t get him in for a physical which I think could scare Pace off. All 3 of those guys are 1st round talents in a lot of draft classes. A little lower I like Devin Duvernay, and late in the draft I like Quez Watkins who is a complete burner in need of refinement.

A guy who doesn’t fit the same mold but who I like is Michael Pittman Jr. The comps for him are Courtland Sutton (NFL.com) and Dwayne Bowe (TDN). That’s pretty similar to Robinson skill set wise which doesn’t address our speed concern but does add a guy who should be able to move the chains and who is a good RAC guy. He’s also a really good blocker at the WR position which we sorely lack right now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He isn't "valueless." He would have to have one hell of a start for a team to take on that cap hit, so again, who really cares? Once more, Pace is a clown but now we're complaining to complain. He gave Graham $9M. That was stupid. This? Who cares, they're stuck with him for a season anyhow.

having a fully healthy Tburton and JG means always having a high level TE target on the field. Not on the field together too much though lmao ...JG will do very well in this system via short quick hits. We will need to add a mauler to block decoy and catch a few. maybe coward can even flex T a little ;)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

having a fully healthy Tburton and JG means always having a high level TE target on the field. Not on the field together too much though lmao ...JG will do very well in this system via short quick hits. We will need to add a mauler to block decoy and catch a few. maybe coward can even flex T a little ;)

Though he's kinda tall and skinny Harris is said to be a very good "Y" TE blocker and at 6'7" with a huge wingspan he could be a very good end zone target inside the ten yard line.

• Like 1

I don't disagree that it was stupid to pay him 9M (I can't defend that) but only 3 of that is fully guaranteed with a base salary of the same amount. We pay him 6M this season and if he sucks next year we get back 7M. 

By comparison, 26 year old Nick Boyle --strictly a blocking TE and ST player with only 104 catches and 2 receiving TD's to his name in 5 years-- signed a 3 year 18M extension last year with 2M upfront, 10M guaranteed, 7M in SB, and if he is released by the Ravens they would only gain 167k this year and 5.5M in 2022. 

Anyhow, the no trade clause was probably nothing more than just contract jargon placed in as another incentive in the contract as per the rules/fine print in the same way that most NLTBE escalators work (Not Likely To Be Earned) as a way to sweeten the deal without having to add in any more LTBE money (Likely To Be Earned). For example, there is literally defensive lineman out there who have escalators in their contracts that guarantee them X amount of money if the have X amount of passing yards.

This is called manipulating the salary cap. Something that all teams do nowadays in a variety of ways-- (see Belichick, who started it, and how Pace uses the voidable years clause in numerous contracts).  

This is not a big deal. Did you guys know that Graham also has NLTBE escalators on in his contract that guarantee him an addition 1M if he is named to the Pro-bowl or a is named a 1st team all-pro. Now many of you believe that in 2020 Jimmy Graham is going to be an All-pro? Yeah, me either. And this no-trade clause is no different.

35 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

Oh god. Don't tell me he's gonna be the 2020 version of Sowell this season.......:D

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

na no more of that ha

just praising cowards versatility .... big fan !

Yeah I know, I was poking fun at it is all, because the last time the staff thought it was a good idea to try and convert a backup OL to a TE (Sowell) he ended up getting released and resigned again seemingly every single week throughout the entire season. 

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah I know, I was poking fun at it is all, because the last time the staff thought it was a good idea to try and convert a backup OL to a TE (Sowell) he ended up getting released and resigned again seemingly every single week throughout the entire season. 

ya sowell is no Idonije 

8 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Well I guess at least only his first year is guaranteed and the next is voidable so it’s pretty much only as bad as Mike Glennon

He's gtd $9 mil.  $6 mil of that is his SB which is paid upfront.  The other $3 mil is his 2020 salary.  So FWIW it's essentially a one year deal for $9 mil but his cap hit is only $6 mil because $3 mil of his SB goes against the 2020 cap and $3 mil against the 2021 cap.

Next year his salary and workout bonus will be $7 mil so it's highly unlikely we'll keep him beyond 2020 when his 2021 cap hit with be $10 mil.  So we release him and take a $3 mil dead cap hit when we can better afford it.  He's essentially a $9 mil insurance policy against Burton failing to deliver again in 2020.  Expensive?  Yes, but also necessary unless we want 2020 to look like 2019 at TE.