Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham, 2 years 16 million

TankWilliams

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I spent last offseason arguing with Packers fans that this guy is washed.  Now we sign him.  LOL.  

Same. This signing sucks. But hey, at least we didn't trade Hopkins to AZ for peanuts lol

5 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

He can play though. That was half our problem last year at that position. Rotating guys in and out. If he's there and healthy **** it lets see what happens. Also this won't be the only move we make there. Guaranteed he's only here for a year anyway. Biggs said weeks ago they weren't going to sign Hooper. 

He can play but he can't play. Follow? Want to go sign a guy who can actually play and doesn't completely suck too? Sign Nick Vannett for less. This is a waste

• Like 1

Instead of immediately bashing the bejeezus out of this move (which is justified - I’m certainly not a fan) I’m going to look at the things Graham can still do that we didn’t have last year at TE:

-Red zone target

-Short to intermediate chain mover 

As essentially a 1-year insurance plan for Burton while a DP is presumably developed it’s not inconceivable move. It’s a bad deal at the price though. There is ZERO defending that. He adds something we needed in the short term. We paid 2015 Jimmy Graham price for 2020 Jimmy Graham for it though. That’s absurd. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Lol, no, it's not that bad. It's not even close to the same contract Hooper got.

This is probably the same type of deal that Jared Cook got last year.

2 yr $15M/ $6M SB, and $8M in guarantees.

What Windy said. Cook doesn't suck a$$.

I know the contracts are way different- length, guarantees, etc- but it's not like 2 years of guaranteed money (Hooper) is a worse deal than Graham's 1 year of guaranteed money.

Give me Hooper 365/365 days over this bum.

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Instead of immediately bashing the bejeezus out of this move (which is justified - I’m certainly not a fan) I’m going to look at the things Graham can still do that we didn’t have last year at TE:

-Red zone target

-Short to intermediate chain mover 

As essentially a 1-year insurance plan for Burton while a DP is presumably developed it’s not inconceivable move. It’s a bad deal at the price though. There is ZERO defending that. He adds something we needed in the short term. We paid 2015 Jimmy Graham price for 2020 Jimmy Graham for it though. That’s absurd. 🤦‍♂️

Putting lipstick on a pig.  Pace got fleeced.   Who was even bidding against him?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He can play but he can't play. Follow? Want to go sign a guy who can actually play and doesn't completely suck too? Sign Nick Vannett for less. This is a waste

I don't agree with your assessment though. Blocking bad yes but he is still useful in the passing game. 

Just now, beardown3231 said:

What Windy said. Cook doesn't suck a$$.

I know the contracts are way different- length, guarantees, etc- but it's not like 2 years of guaranteed money (Hooper) is a worse deal than Graham's 1 year of guaranteed money.

Give me Hooper 365/365 days over this bum.

Hooper got 23M in FULLY guaranteed money upfront ontop of his 4/44 deal. Highest paid TE in history.... there's a big difference.

• Like 2

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

Hooper got 23M in FULLY guaranteed money upfront ontop of his 4/44 deal. Highest paid TE in history.... there's a big difference.

And he can be cut in 2 years without much of a cap issue. Graham can be cut in 1 year without much of a cap issue. One is good, one blows. Big difference there, too.

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Putting lipstick on a pig.  Pace got fleeced.   Who was even bidding against him?

I said it was a bad signing at the price. Not even ambiguously. That being the case and Graham providing something we desperately lacked last year can both be true.

Pace needed to do something at the position. Are we just assuming Hooper and Ebron want to come here over CLE? Fells signed before FA opened so we didn’t have a shot at him. The move reeks of desperation, but Pace may not have had any other better options right now. Our offense isn’t exactly a highly desirable place for FA with the unsettled QB situation. I don’t like it any more than you do, but this is the hand we’ve got right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

One is good. The other is not.

23 million guaranteed over 4 years for a productive 27 year old Pro Bowler.

9 million guaranteed over 2 years for a washed up 33 year old.

Spend a little more and get a good player.

• Like 2

Just now, WindyCity said:

One is good. The other is not.

23 million guaranteed over 4 years for a productive 27 year old Pro Bowler.

9 million guaranteed over 2 years for a washed up 33 year old.

Spend a little more and get a good player.

I'm not debating on who is better.