Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham, 2 years 16 million

TankWilliams

4 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

Right.... Pace paid his buddy too much money basically....not getting the outrage....9 mil guarantee really isnt even super crazy...maybe 6 or 7 and we would be happy? But he is staying the whole year anyway so the guarantee really isnt even an issue

People are acting like we pulled in a brinks truck to sign him. 

I don't like the signing as a player and I do think Pace overpaid a little but not by a ridiculous amount either. 6 or 7 would have been about the going rate in the open market. 

• Like 3

My question is who else was going to pay Graham 8 million per again? That’s not any less than what he was due for us next year despite it being universally accepted he didn’t live up to his deal here. Seems to be some bidding against yourselves going on. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

None of the TEs you listed are gold.

Graham just got punted by Green Bay after declining for 4 straight years.

Harris got punted after 1 year in Cleveland.

Burton is broken down.

I'll just say that the TE position has never been a big part of the Aaron Rodgers led offense in GB but I do remember Graham getting to us a few times over the past couple of years.

The underrated part about this signing that no one is talking about is that Graham will provide some key insight to the Packers playbook on offense.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'll just say that the TE position has never been a big part of the Aaron Rodgers led offense in GB but I do remember Graham getting to us a few times over the past couple of years.

The underrated part about this signing that no one is talking about is that Graham will provide some key insight to the Packers playbook on offense.

That is an expensive peak at a playbook. That also doesn't happen that often. Jimmy knows his position and probably nothing about the rest of the offense,

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Lets make better moves to improve the offense.

Not rocket science. Your offense is bad, do not sign bad players to fix it.

Graham isn’t a bad player. He’s just not a great one any more. Not every player falls into great or bad - in fact most players don’t fall into either category. 

• Like 1

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Graham isn’t a bad player. He’s just not a great one any more. Not every player falls into great or bad - in fact most players don’t fall into either category. 

This offense needs better then a declining average TE who doesn't block.

This offense needs some legit talent injected into it. Not a physically diminished bandaid.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You didn't change the coach

You didn't change the system

You made this about personnel and now you want to make half measure personnel decisions?

That math doesn't work for me.

You know for some strange reason if the Bears just had the Day 1 of free agency that Miami did I have a feeling you'd still be screaming at Pace. It's Day 1!!! Day 1 of free agency. Day 1....Day 1. 

• Like 1

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

You know for some strange reason if the Bears just had the Day 1 of free agency that Miami did I have a feeling you'd still be screaming at Pace. It's Day 1!!! Day 1 of free agency. Day 1....Day 1. 

That would be a little much.

Pace needed to make one legit move on offense to fix one of the two huge holes [not QB]. Instead, he signed a 33 year old TE that has been fading out of the league for half a decade.

I stated yesterday in a discussion with AZ what my expectations were. I did not expect him to go crazy, I did not expect a bunch of moves, I expected more than this lame *** move.

Just now, WindyCity said:

This offense needs better then a declining average TE who doesn't block.

This offense needs some legit talent injected into it. Not a physically diminished bandaid.

It must really suck to be this angry all the time. Anyone but the status quo only applies at QB I guess. 

Graham isn’t the “upgrade” you wanted even though he’s an upgrade. Fine. Me either. BUT, even in his diminishing ability state he’s still inarguably more talented than every TE we have except for maybe Burton, who you’re incredibly comfortable just assuming will never again be physically healthy without any actual evidence to support it. A healthy Burton makes Graham’s role more complementary, and Graham himself was more productive in his least productive year in 2019 than our entire roster of TEs (in less targets and in an offense emphasizing the TE less than ours) in the event Burton isn’t healthy. The Graham signing is a floor raising one for a team that desperately needed a floor raising signing at TE. Cost is the only problem I have with it, and we don’t even know the 2020 cost yet. 

• Like 1