Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham, 2 years 16 million

TankWilliams

Just now, WindyCity said:

That would be a little much.

Pace needed to make one legit move on offense to fix one of the two huge holes [not QB]. Instead, he signed a 33 year old TE that has been fading out of the league for half a decade.

I stated yesterday in a discussion with AZ what my expectations were. I did not expect him to go crazy, I did not expect a bunch of moves, I expected more than this lame *** move.

It's Day 1 of Free Agency. Hey if we go out and get Foles and then sit here for the rest of the offseason I'm going to be extremely angry. But I'm going to wait it out and see what he does. If memory serves me right we didn't sign Akiem Hicks Day 1 of Free Agency. Same with Prince. Remember how much we were screaming about us losing the top corners in that free agency and cursing Pace? Didn't turn out too bad. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

It's Day 1 of Free Agency. Hey if we go out and get Foles and then sit here for the rest of the offseason I'm going to be extremely angry. But I'm going to wait it out and see what he does. If memory serves me right we didn't sign Akiem Hicks Day 1 of Free Agency. Same with Prince. Remember how much we were screaming about us losing the top corners in that free agency and cursing Pace? Didn't turn out too bad. 

It didn't? Since then, the Bears have won 0 playoff games. Yippee

2 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

That doesn't make signing Jimmy Graham less of a bad signing.

He could still find us an Akiem Hicks, that is true, but he could also find us more Glennon, McPhee, Burton, Royal, Rolle, Sims, which have been bad signings. 

We need some legitimate talent added to the offense. This isn't it and a lot of guys who would have been significant upgrades were signed. 

Just now, beardown3231 said:

It didn't? Since then, the Bears have won 0 playoff games. Yippee

Uh huh...it was because that free agency period sucked. Gosh I should have known all this time. It's much easier to say that than give Pace credit. Wouldn't want to accidentally do that. 

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

That doesn't make signing Jimmy Graham less of a bad signing.

He could still find us an Akiem Hicks, that is true, but he could also find us more Glennon, McPhee, Burton, Royal, Rolle, Sims, which have been bad signings. 

We need some legitimate talent added to the offense. This isn't it and a lot of guys who would have been significant upgrades were signed. 

I have no problem with passing on the guys that have signed today. People are going for huge money. If the cap went up more than 10 million maybe we would of been in the mix for some of them. Go day 2 shopping and see what you can use Floyd's cap space for. 

2 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Uh huh...it was because that free agency period sucked. Gosh I should have known all this time. It's much easier to say that than give Pace credit. Wouldn't want to accidentally do that. 

Pace has hits and he has misses.

But above individual personnel decision his results haven't been impressive.

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

I have no problem with passing on the guys that have signed today. People are going for huge money. If the cap went up more than 10 million maybe we would of been in the mix for some of them. Go day 2 shopping and see what you can use Floyd's cap space for. 

The chances of getting legit talent go down significantly.

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

No other GMs make bad signings. Nope. Doesn’t happen. 

Other GMs make the playoffs and win playoff games.

No one is saying that Pace doesn't make good moves. The point is that despite the good moves, on field results have been mediocre at best.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The chances of getting legit talent go down significantly.

What they need to focus on is adding a legit starter to the QB position right now. That's what they need to do tomorrow. Complete the trade for Dalton and get him in here(Assuming Teddy is off the table). 

Edited by GOGRIESE

29 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

What they need to focus on is adding a legit starter to the QB position right now. That's what they need to do tomorrow. Complete the trade for Dalton and get him in here(Assuming Teddy is off the table). 

Dalton is not going to thrive behind this line and with this TE group.

Pace said we need to build around the QB. They talked about the lack of talent around the QB and supporting the QB.

When is that happening? Regardless of the QB.

18 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

So which TEs do the Bears keep? I thought Horsted showed some promise last season but it seems like he's gone unless they keep 4 TEs on the roster.

Graham and Harris combined to catch less than 60% of their targets last season. That's really bad.

It would seem Shaheen is gone, and probably Braunecker too. Cutting both saves about $2.7M against the cap which isn’t insignificant. If we draft a guy too (I expect we will) I’d guess we keep Graham, Burton, Harris and the draft pick, with Horsted on the PS. Remember there are 2 extra roster spots now too and as such we could potentially keep a 5th TE with one of those. Could see it being Holtz too since he can do some lead blocking.

Graham was at a 63.3% catch rate last year and is 64.3% for his career. I’m fine with that. Better than Ebron and better than Vance McDonald for some other potential signees discussed this offseason. I’m far less concerned about the catch rate of Harris as with this signing I don’t expect he sees a large volume of targets anyway.

Edited by AZBearsFan

9 minutes ago, soulman said:

Hey......any of you guys know where I can find the Windy City Whinery?  Huh?   You mean THIS IS IT?  :P   xDxD

Good attempt at humour. Perhaps a little more workshopping and it will get there. It doesn’t come naturally to some, but keep plugging away.