Bears sign TE Jimmy Graham, 2 years 16 million

TankWilliams

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Burton may actually be in trouble. They can June 1st him and save 3 million.

How many TEs can you have that cannot block?

I don't think Graham can be relied on to play the U at this point in his career. I think they'll keep Burton, Graham, Harris, and try to put Horsted on the practice squad.

5 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't think Graham can be relied on to play the U at this point in his career. I think they'll keep Burton, Graham, Harris, and try to put Horsted on the practice squad.

He can’t play the Y. He might be the worst blocking TE in the league.

I have to say this is totally depressing to me..... I had supported Pace up until this point but honestly this signing really disgusted me. I expected much better from him. I know a few of you guys feel people are being overly harsh with negative reactions, but I feel the anger is very much justified for this. 

I just don't think there's any way of defending Pace for handing out this much money to a guy who looks to be just a shell of himself. To throw away our limited resources on a TE who can barely run or jump anymore is inexcusable. It's one thing if he brings Jimmy in on the cheap .. but how tf does anyone let Pace hand out that contract to him??? Where is the accountability within the organization? Who the hell is Ryan consulting with???? I think everybody agrees that no other team was giving Jimmy anything close to that. The main point here is that this was irresponsible & in my opinion showed incompetence. - Not only from Pace, but also within the organization as a whole. There's just no way this ever should have been ok with anyone within upper management. I guess I don't know how these things work & who has a say in these decisions, but I really don't think it's overly harsh to be extremely upset about this. There are so many different approaches we could have taken to address the TE position & almost any of them would have be better than this imo.

I understand we can be done with JG after 1 yr, but we could have spent that $$ on OL (or another need).. To see this happen was shocking to most of us & very disheartening. It makes me lose all faith in the direction of the organization and with Pace being able to make winning decisions. I backed him up with the Trubisky decision and was hoping things would turn around this year, but that's looking far fetched now. Bears fans deserve better. But it's the same story decade after decade after decade... 

I think when you support a franchise for such a long time, and you constantly refill yourself with new hopes each year, only to see similar frustrating results and questionable management decisions, there's nothing wrong with being angry about it & not supporting it. As fans, we want & deserve to have good decision making people in the positions that build our teams. That's not too much to ask for. And I don't believe the amount of money Pace decided to give Graham showed him to be making a good decision. I'm done making excuses for him.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Good attempt at humour. Perhaps a little more workshopping and it will get there. It doesn’t come naturally to some, but keep plugging away.

Look, I'm not starting a Jimmy Graham Fan Club or anything like that but your raw dislike for Pace should be saved for someone who deserves it far more than he does.  I'm sure a few others appreciated it more than you did.  LOL

Given what we have to work with the Bears are doing what they can.  It's not like they're sitting on their hands.  If FAs don't want to sign here because of Mitch or some other reason then he'd better find a way to deal with that first and he seems to be doing that. 

You can do as you wish but maybe your blood pressure would come down if you gave it a break.  Just sayin'.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

Look, I'm not starting a Jimmy Graham Fan Club or anything like that but your raw dislike for Pace should be saved for someone who deserves it far more than he does.  I'm sure a few others appreciated it more than you did.  LOL

Given what we have to work with the Bears are doing what they can.  It's not like they're sitting on their hands.  If FAs don't want to sign here because of Mitch or some other reason then he'd better find a way to deal with that first and he seems to be doing that. 

You can do as you wish but maybe your blood pressure would come down if you gave it a break.  Just sayin'.

What they have to work with is a direct result of Pace’s mismanagement.

Jimmy Graham is a crap signing no matter the qualifiers.

My blood pressure would be better if this team was consistently competitive.

Just now, WindyCity said:

What they have to work with is a direct result of Pace’s mismanagement.

Jimmy Graham is a crap signing no matter the qualifiers.

My blood pressure would be better if this team was consistently competitive.

Not gonna debate it with you Windy.  We're all in the same boat it's just that you always seem to choose rowing in the opposite direction as the rest of us.  I'll save whatever critiques I have for after the season.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

Not gonna debate it with you Windy.  We're all in the same boat it's just that you always seem to choose rowing in the opposite direction as the rest of us.  I'll save whatever critiques I have for after the season.

I changed my critique after this season. 

Being in this position in year 5 of a GMs tenure is unacceptable. 

Everything here Pace has built and it’s not good enough.

Not a real fan of the move but it's like a NE one year rental deal where ya' find a productive vet to plug a hole and hope it works out.  Price only seems high in comparison to the past but the new CBA is already causing the lid to blow off some positions.

$20 mil a year for a WR?  Two or three years ago that was a top QBs pay.  Now they're getting $30 mil + and the pass catchers are getting $20 mil.  Top OL will be getting $15 mil and up soon enough.  It's all getting like Monopoly money now anyway.

1 minute ago, soulman said:

Not a real fan of the move but it's like a NE one year rental deal where ya' find a productive vet to plug a hole and hope it works out.  Price only seems high in comparison to the past but the new CBA is already causing the lid to blow off some positions.

$20 mil a year for a WR?  Two or three years ago that was a top QBs pay.  Now they're getting $30 mil + and the pass catchers are getting $20 mil.  Top OL will be getting $15 mil and up soon enough.  It's all getting like Monopoly money now anyway.

Then why not spend on a better player? You just made a compelling argument for spending more to get a better player and longer term answer.

New England gets away with that because they are exceptional evaluators and have a great system. The Bears arent that.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Then why not spend on a better player? You just made a compelling argument for spending more to get a better player and longer term answer.

New England gets away with that because they are exceptional evaluators and have a great system. The Bears arent that.

You say that as though you know the only thing that took a guy like Hooper to CLE was money. Maybe he didn’t want to play for Nagy. Maybe he didn’t like our QB situation. Maybe he and Baker Mayfield know each other. Maybe he clicks really well with Stefanski. Maybe he likes that he’s going to get crazy good matchups in CLE with OBJ, Landry and Chubb all also in the offense which we couldn’t offer. Could be a lot of reasons he didn’t sign here. 

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You say that as though you know the only thing that took a guy like Hooper to CLE was money. Maybe he didn’t want to play for Nagy. Maybe he didn’t like our QB situation. Maybe he and Baker Mayfield know each other. Maybe he clicks really well with Stefanski. Maybe he likes that he’s going to get crazy good matchups in CLE with OBJ, Landry and Chubb all also in the offense which we couldn’t offer. Could be a lot of reasons he didn’t sign here. 

So pivot to Glasgow.

If he has no interest in playing here then maybe you need to ask why no one likes your team or situation.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If he has no interest in playing here then maybe you need to ask why no one likes your team or situation.

OK, I will.  So why don't you like our team and our situation?  I mean you seem unhappier with it than anyone else I know.

Jeezus Christ reading your posts is like reading a script from an Alex Jones InfoWars broadcast.  All that's missing a a good conspiracy theory that Ryan Pace was a Packers plant to mess us up so bad we'd never win another championship.  And what about his emails?  :ph34r:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

OK, I will.  So why don't you like our team and our situation?  I mean you seem unhappier with it than anyone else I know.

Jeezus Christ reading your posts is like reading a script from an Alex Jones InfoWars broadcast.  All that's missing a a good conspiracy theory that Ryan Pace was a Packers plant to mess us up so bad we'd never win another championship.  And what about his emails?  :ph34r:

All jokes aside, this was the best analogy I have seen in a while. :D Well done.

• Like 1