Raiders sign QB Marcus Mariota (2 years, $17.6 M)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

This reminds me too much of the Al Davis reclamation projects. Mayock and Gruden are hoping they can get failed players that thay liked as prospects to reach their potential.... Keep in mind that Mayock liked Kizer too. 

One guy to come in that offers depth and some upside. No harm...

Hey boys. Thought I'd share my thoughts here that I posted in our forum in response to one of your posters.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

2015 - Came out the gates with a resounding statement -  4 TDs, 0 INT, 158.3 passser rating leading our offense to 42 points in week 1 against his counterpart Jameis Winston. All in all put together a very promising rookie year. Something was there.

2016 - We all thought it was abundantly clear he was the franchise guy by putting together a wonderful sophomore year and having us in the playoff hunt.... and then he broke his leg in week 16.

2017 - It was hard to tell what happened. Did he lose confidence after breaking his leg? Was his lack of production a result of the o-line or the running game falling apart? Even still he had a couple legendary moments - a man of a run against Jacksonville's all world defense to clinch a playoff berth in the closing minutes of week 17, and an 18 point comeback in the wildcard round on the road in hostile Arrowhead with a TD pass to himself. Whatever the reason was for his regression, those moments, a playoff W, and what he put together in 2016 still had us believing he was the the guy.

2018 - It all fell apart. He lost his go to guy Delanie Walker for the season in week 1. In that same game he injured his ulnar nerve which effected his ability to grip and caused tingling/numbness in his throwing hand/arm - this turned out to be something he battled all season long. His #1 WR quit on the team in week 3. Then the injuries completely took their toll. Here is what he battled through: a stung ulnar nerve, two neck stingers, a cracked vertebra, plantar fascia tear, a strained oblique, a broken rib, and a sprained AC shoulder joint. All that and he somehow only missed 3 games. The debate amongst us was now on. Was his poor 2018 because of the slew of injuries he suffered, or has he regressed to the point of no return? Was his poor 2017 because he was still trying to work through the mental rigors of returning from a broken leg? What about what he pulled off in week 17 and the wildcard round? And what about the 3 different OC's and 4 different play callers he had gone through up until that point? Maybe he just needs continuity for once in his career? Whatever the answer was to those questions, 2019 was his make or break year.

2019 - Week 1 started off great with the dismantling the off-season darling Cleveland Browns and a 3 TD performance. But as the season wore on it was clear he was just broken. Gun shy, was seeing ghosts, no pocket presence, couldn't progress through his reads, looked down at the pressure instead of keeping his eyes downfield, etc, etc. He was eventually benched in week 6 after failing to lead the offense to a single point in the first half and well, the rest is history.

All in all, I wish he worked out, but there's a lot of reasons he didn't and many of those reasons were nobody's fault but his own. He just never seemed to develop. That being said, we did him absolutely no favors and that's for damn certain lol. 3 HC's, 4 OC's, and 5 playcallers in 5 years is a recipe for disaster for any QB, let alone one with limitations like Mariota. He's a great teammate, tough as nails (while still being fragile), and an awesome human being, but there's a ton of flaws in his game. I think his only chance at success is in a simplistic offense with defined reads where he can utilize his athleticism coupled with a strong running game backing him. Many liken his early years to Alex Smith who went through similar coaching turnover in his early years. Hopefully he can see a turnaround with someone who actually has experience with QB's like Gruden similar to how Smith saw a turnaround with someone who had experience with QB's like Harbaugh and Reid. If memory serves me correctly I believe Gruden's done it once before with Gannon. I'll be rooting for similar results for Marcus under his tutelage. Best of luck with him.

• Like 4

Not all things end the same but reading the comments, it was exactly, I mean exactly what we said when we traded for Tannehill. Lol

Best backup in league. Push the starter. No threat to the starter. Meh. 

All similar. Lol

Either way. Y'all now have a distant follower in me. I loved Marcus. I'll be watching. 

Wish him the best. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Hey boys. Thought I'd share my thoughts here that I posted in our forum in response to one of your posters.

Excellent post, very informative thank you. Seems like Mariota was limited but also a victim if circumstance. Be very interested to see if he can get his confidence back and how he fits with our system.

We got two guys who looked like the franchise QB's until injury took away their mojo. Both are probably two of the nicest QB's in the NFL. LOL Well Chucky's got some fire, so if nothing else this creates a warm seat for Carr. I'd say I like the add but need to see the numbers first. LOL

Edited by G

30 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Take good care of him now, ya hear?!

there will never be a more significant “what if?” in sports for me. His broken leg in 2016 changed everything. EVERYTHING.

First time in his career he will see good protection. And he will love the TEs in Oakland. Gruden will give him every shot to take the job from Carr. He wants a guy who can make plays when things break down.

• Like 1

After thinking about this. I would expect Marcus to have a package of plays designated for him to come in. Plays that will utilize his legs maybe in goal-line packages to use some RPO's which will make Jacobs. Feel like we will see Marcus play this year even if he doesn't beat out Carr.

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1