Week 3 Bengals @ Packers

MrCincinnati

Will the Bengals score a TD this game? Next up is the Packers who are coming off a bad loss on the road against the Falcons, but didn’t give up a TD to the Seahawks in Green Bay already this year. That’s a great sign. Ugh

HISTORY LESSON

The Bengals are 3-4 against the Packers when playing in Green Bay
The Bengals have beaten the Packers in their last 3 matchups
Last matchup – 2013 season Bengals won 34-30 in Cincinnati
Last matchup in Green Bay – 2009 season Bengals won 31-24
Last Packers win – 1998 season Packers won 13-6 in Cincinnati
Last Packers win in Green Bay – 1995 season Packers won 24-10

GAMEDAY INFO

Game time will be this Sunday 4:25 PM ET on CBS.
Here’s the TV Map: http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=3

5 KEYS TO VICTORY

5. Defense Must Bring A-Game – While the defense has done a great job in the last 2 games, things will be much more of a challenge for this game. Facing Aaron Rodgers just alone is already a problem in itself, so that’s going to be the biggest problem. Run defense has me worried still, but you know the Packers are mostly just going to air it out the whole game. Also the lack of turnovers for this defense is what is really going to kill this team in the long run if they can’t figure that out. The only thing that seems to be on the bright side is the Packers have only average 20 points a game, so I think this team can hold them under 30 points.

4. Lazor’s Second Chance – The team finally fired Ken Zampese, who was surprisingly fired during the season because that’s never happened under Marvin Lewis tenure. The former Dolphins OC from 2014 and middle 2015 Bill Lazor will take over and if he coaches well, he may be the coordinator next year. Lazor made a name for himself originally when he was the QB’s coach for the Eagles and helped Nick Foles have his best year ever in 2013. Eventually he was given his coordinator job, but didn’t do so well as he was fired alongside with Joe Philbin two years ago. His biggest problem was he would abandon the run game too quickly, which could be a problem considering most of would rather see Mixon get the ball more. At this point though, I can’t see how he could be any worse than what Zampese was.

3. Marvin On The Hot Seat – It may seem like a longshot, but I definitely can see Marvin Lewis getting fired before the season even ends now. The fact that Zampese got the axe already tells me more could be on the way in the future. Back in 2008 he had his worst start ever as a coach, when they went 0-8 and the team already missed the playoffs the last 2 years before that as well. But what saved him was the fact that he won his last 3 games of the year and the team was already projected to be terrible that year anyway. Fast forward to 2010 when they finished with 4 wins despite the team expected to make a superbowl push, but because they made the playoffs the year before he wasn’t going to get fired. Now he’s on the verge of not only missing the playoffs 2 years in a row, but with a roster with still a lot of talent on the team. Add to the fact that he misuses the players like Boyd and Ross, and his horrible track record of losing games despite having extra days of preparation, there’s no more excuse at this point.

2. The OL Still Has Problems – Some of you may have seen a profootballfocus graphic I posted yesterday on the previous gameday thread, which showed the grades on the OL players. The grades weren’t pretty, and the highest grade that anybody got was Boling with a 44. I knew the OL was going to be bad, but this is beyond ridiculous. There’s still time for 1 or 2 of these guys to hopefully improve, but it’s not a very good sign that even Boling their best player is struggling. The biggest shock to me was Jake Fisher having the worst grade out of all of them. Right now this team may need to all OL players with their first 3 picks next year at the rate they are going.

1. Dalton Feeling Pressure – For the first time in Dalton’s career with the Bengals, there appears to now be a very legit QB controversy going on. While Dalton played better against the Texans compared to the Ravens, it still was a very forgettable game. Now we know perhaps why the Bengals never traded McCarron, as he could possibly get his shot at some point. News reports even said Bengal players want the team to take a look at Kaepernick. Marvin Lewis has said Dalton’s job is safe though, and it’s not a big surprise. While most of the average fans will say McCarron needs to start, most of them don’t realize that making a QB switch isn’t going to save this team. If Dalton doesn’t show any signs of improvement soon though, then you got to wonder if it’s time to make a change.

PREDICTION

I’ve already mailed in the season, so honestly I want this team to tank. Keep in mind this is probably the fastest time I’ve ever given up on this team during a season. A super bad season would almost guarantee that Marvin Lewis would not be back next season which is what needs to happen. The Bengals have had the Packers number in the past, but they appear to have no chance to win this game. I’m going to stay a little bit hopefully and say this game is close, but still a loss.

Bengals 21 Packers 24

Good write up. To your points...

5.  The defense has been bringing it, but against less than stellar offenses.  This is the game for a coming out party by Willis, Lawson, Jackson and Smith.  The packers can't run it, which is good, since the one big play each week was a long run and a tunnel screen (with the aid of an illegal pick).  If the defense keeps them under 30 at Lambeau, they are legit, asnd about to get Burfict back.

4.  let's hope lazor can dial up a plan to offset the line.  See the other thread about him for what I hope he does.

3.  Marvin's seat isn't hot.  Win, lose or draw, he finishes the season and the contract, then retires, unless he wants to return after a brilliant rebound to a season that I hope happens, but with this o-line.........

2.  The line is still trash, but I think Boling and Johnson played better than their PFF scores.  When every other player on the line is a sieve, the guys at guard will suffer as well.Zeitler's scores when up when he didn't have to play his man, plus help the bumbling fools on either side of him last year.  Fisher came in, and Zeitler's scores rebounded.  Yes, we are drafting three to five offensive linemen, and I'd trade lower picks up to get quality guys.  What really scares me is we have yet to see this line on the road in a loud environment before the snap.  It just might get worse.

1.  Andy can play better.  We've seen it before.  Give him time, he will settle down.

Green Bay in a shootout  256-244

- Marvin will finish this season regardless of what happens. He just might not be brought back, but it wouldn't surprise me if we are horrible and he comes back somehow again on a 1 year deal. 

- offensive lines across the league are suffering right now, so at least we aren't alone. However those teams are still scoring touchdowns

- we have to score touchdowns to win this game (which I don't see happening)

- expect a heavy run dose before the Packers score too many points and we are forced to throw the ball in the 3rd/4th

Bengals- 13

Packers- 24

Just so you guys are aware the Packers are really really banged up. Currently we don't know if the following players will even suit up for the game:

1. Jordy Nelson (Starting WR)

2. Randall Cobb (2nd string WR)

3. Mike Daniels (Best defensive player)

4. Bryan Bulaga (Starting RT)

5. David Bakhtiari (Starting LT)

We are also missing our back up left tackle, our back up OLB that spells both Perry and Matthews, and our 3rd safety in our 3 safety sets which we are playing a lot this year. It will be really interesting to see who actually suits up for this game for the Packers. 

47 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Just so you guys are aware the Packers are really really banged up. Currently we don't know if the following players will even suit up for the game:

1. Jordy Nelson (Starting WR)

2. Randall Cobb (2nd string WR)

3. Mike Daniels (Best defensive player)

4. Bryan Bulaga (Starting RT)

5. David Bakhtiari (Starting LT)

We are also missing our back up left tackle, our back up OLB that spells both Perry and Matthews, and our 3rd safety in our 3 safety sets which we are playing a lot this year. It will be really interesting to see who actually suits up for this game for the Packers. 

Good info.  So far that kind of thing hasn't hurt the Bengals opponents, but we'll see if the Bengals offense can pull a rabbit out of their hat on Sunday.

8 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I almost picked the Packers as my Eliminator pick this week, but I just didn't have the heart to pick against the Bengals in that type of competition.

It's a trap game IMO.  I didn't feel safe taking the Packers.

Not that i necessarily think the Bengals will win, but i think there are safer picks this week, and better times to use a team like the Packers.

2 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I think we'll make it competitive but we'll lose.  Something like 24-20 Packers.

My only hope is that we get the ball to Ross in this game.  For once it would be nice to see a first round pick actually get utilized on this team...

I didn't know the Bengals had first round picks tbh.

20 minutes ago, theJ said:

It's a trap game IMO.  I didn't feel safe taking the Packers.

Not that i necessarily think the Bengals will win, but i think there are safer picks this week, and better times to use a team like the Packers.

This year I'm taking games I think will be more lopsided.  I always got too cute in the past trying to "save" some of the best teams for later in the season and I was almost invariably out in the first week or two.  This week, I'm taking the Patriots over the Texans in Foxborough.   They got embarrassed at home in game 1, I think they'll be out for blood.

15 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm still going to this game.  Looking forward to the experience, but not the outcome.

It's Lambeau.  If I could get tickets and the opportunity to go I'd go if AJ, Geno, Jones, Dunlap, and Eifert were all going to be out.

Archived