Jets sign George Fant

J_E_T_$

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28913856/sources-ot-george-fant-reaches-3-year-30-million-deal-jets

Terrible, part time OT that graded the 57th best OT in football last year.....................

Halapoulivaati Vaitai, the 22nd rated OT got the same $$$$

J Conklin the 10th rated OT in football only got $4 more per year............

TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE SIGNING

Edited by J_E_T_$

I think the Jets will look at Fant as a swing who can compete to start at 3 spots. As Pauline suggests, Gase’s offense works best when he can spread out the line. Tough for a LG to operate on an island like a T, which is why it wouldn’t shock me the least bit to see someone like Fant or a 1st round tackle start there week 1.

Just now, jetskid007 said:

I think the Jets will look at Fant as a swing who can compete to start at 3 spots. As Pauline suggests, Gase’s offense works best when he can spread out the line. Tough for a LG to operate on an island like a T, which is why it wouldn’t shock me the least bit to see someone like Fant or a 1st round tackle start there week 1.

He’s not a good T though. That’s the point. He’s getting 10mill per and graded out as one of the worst starting OTs in the whole nfl. At LT, RT or LG... history with him shows he won’t be good. So either way we just wasted 10mill in cap on a bad player.

I'm not a big fan of this, but I think he's just penciled in as a starter but won't hold it. I didn't really expect to be able to sign a top offensive free agent unless they were friends of Darnold or Bell. I already scratched this season out, so I'm not stressed about free agency. I'm just focused on the draft.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s not a good T though. That’s the point. He’s getting 10mill per and graded out as one of the worst starting OTs in the whole nfl. At LT, RT or LG... history with him shows he won’t be good. So either way we just wasted 10mill in cap on a bad player.

Bobby, wait until the terms come out before get your panties in a bunch. I don’t think Fant is being looked at as a sure-fire starting T.

• Like 1

Funny you mention the Knicks. I think we’re suffering from the same FA problems as them. All the money in the world but no buzz, or sense we’re a team going anywhere. Not really surprised how today went. We have to over pay for guys like Fant just to build depth. 

Still just day one but its gonna be all about the draft. 

1 minute ago, NYJets4716 said:

Fant is trash, no defending this. 

We are screwed,  our team will go 4-13

Is it wrong that my biggest problem with this is how ugly that number looks? 17 game season is going to make me so uncomfortable.

I hate to sound like the eternal optimist, but the timing of this deal is what should have people up in arms rather than the player. 

We all expected big time OL to sign, and being on the first day of free agency - our first signing - you would expect someone who is a top-rated player. Our patience was rewarded with Fant- very uninspiring. 

I’m certainly skeptical on the state of the line as a while, but this isn’t a bad signing. When we see the terms, it’s going to be a highly incentivized deal low in guarantees, suggesting he’s competing for a spot and will need to prove himself to have a role/spot in 2021.

Also, another takeaway is fit. Fant is a ZBS lineman who has been asked to operate in a power-man scheme. He’s a better fit for this line regardless as a starter or a swing.