Jets sign George Fant

J_E_T_$

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

That wasn't my thought process.   Look at the round 1 picks vs the mid round wr picks over the last several years,  been better in the mid rounds a lot of the time

And this isn't because the 1st round guys aren't more talented. They are. The midround guys come with significant less expectation and are allowed to flourish within their offense, whereas teams expect the 1st round players to put the offense on their back. 

Throughout the history of the game, the best teams are the ones who build a complimentary WR group of players who are unselfish and willing to operate within an offense, not "lets just throw to our #1 receiver and watch him make plays." Makes for good TV, but not for consistently winning football games. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

First of all, this is hogwash. Every QB needs talent around them; I don't think that Darnold can succeed without some talent around him. And second, I'm not suggested that he is great ATM. I think he has the ability to make the players around him better. He has shown that in his first two years.

You act like the team is totally devoid of talent. You act like 2nd-4th round investments are not enough. You dismiss the idea that Robby Anderson or other potential additions unworthy because they're not "#1 receivers". Just stop with the bull****, PLEASE. For the love of god. 

*Newsflash*: Le'Veon Bell, Chris Herndon, Jamison Crowder are talented, solid receivers. The draft is the deepest, most talented wide receiver class ever. The Jets will have an improved WR group.

My perspective: you don't need a bonafide #1 receiver to be successful. You need a basketball team of receivers. You need complementary guys (which you agree with). Would it be nice to have Julio Jones? Of course. But history shows that teams who funnel through their offense through receivers who demand the ball often don't go very far. 

We just saw that Bell was a shell of himself with a poor OL and we haven’t improved it enough yet to change that. Herndon had a good 1/2 season... can people please tap the breaks on him. And Crowder I do like. But to think we automatically are getting good WRs in the mid rounds is bull****. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The thought process was we’d improve the OL and edge making it to where we can use our picks on WRs. Good WRs. Not mid round guys. I’ve given the example of the fall off of deep WR classes after the 1st couple rounds. Look at the Watkins, OBJ draft class after Rounds 1 and 2.

this wide receiver class is not other wide receiver classes.

first round receivers bust more often than first round quarterbacks. 

relax. 

27 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm so tired of this video game approach to team building. Look around the NFL. Just look. Great QBs make the WRs around them better. I think Darnold will be a great QB. Your take is, "we need to make sure he's going to be a great QB, so let's baby him by overpaying for flashy toys". Just stop. Josh Allen's stats may look better, but newsflash: Diggs doesn't change much for me in terms of how good he'll be. I think Murray was going to be good regardless of Hopkins or not- credit to them for having an opportunity and seizing it. 

Look around the NFL. Young QBs all over have elite weapons and are doing squat with them. The QB makes the WR, not the opposite. 

Bottom line is Jets need to build the OL. That's what the bigger problem is. Losing out on Glasgow was a major sting, but it's not the end of the world. 

You’re tired of an approach we never did?

Our last competitive team we had Brandon Marshall with Eric Decker & Enunwa.

Before that, the playoff Rex era Jets had Santonio, Braylon/Plaxico & Cotchery.

Herm era - Cole, Santana Moss & Cherbet

But instead, you think the Jets are fine with the Justin McCariens & David Clowneys of the world.

Patrick Mahomes just had burners at WRs with a top guy in Tyreke Hill. He’s a great QB and having a great WR doesn’t take away from that. They just won the Super Bowl, with a rather shakey OLine too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DowNY said:

But instead, you think the Jets are fine with the Justin McCariens & David Clowneys of the world.

Patrick Mahomes just had burners at WRs with a top guy in Tyreke Hill. He’s a great QB and having a great WR doesn’t take away from that. They just won the Super Bowl, with a rather shakey OLine too.

KC had a pretty good o line.   Also almost none of the wrs or kc wrs were first round picks

10 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

this wide receiver class is not other wide receiver classes.

first round receivers bust more often than first round quarterbacks. 

relax. 

This WR draft class is literally comparable to the Watkins/Mike Evans/OBJ draft.

A deep draft class doesn’t mean you get starters from round 1 til round 4. It’s just better odds. But as Bobby posted, look at the picks after round 2 during that draft class.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

KC had a pretty good o line.   Also almost none of the wrs or kc wrs were first round picks

Sammy Watkins was literally the first WR taken in the “deepest WR draft class” of the past decade.

1 minute ago, DowNY said:

Let me clarify: I'm tired of the suggestion that it's the right way to build a team. 

• How did we acquire Marshall? Traded a 5th round pick. Enunwa? A 6th round pick. Decker? Acquired as a modest FA signing that most people on this board didn't like. 
  • Santonio? Traded a 5th round pick. Braylon? Traded a 3rd round pick? Plaxico? A cheap FA contract. Cotchery? A 4th round pick
  • Laveranues Coles? A 3rd round pick.  Santana Moss? Yes, a 1st round pick. Chrebet? Undrafted.  

I'm not against signing a WR nor am I against using a 1st round pick on one. But what needs to happen first and foremost is build an offensive line. I believe a team with a solid QB and solid OL can win without great receivers. I don't think a team with a poor OL can win regardless how good the receivers are (See Cleveland Browns, 2019). 

Build up the OL and the offense will be OK. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DowNY said:

This WR draft class is literally comparable to the Watkins/Mike Evans/OBJ draft.

A deep draft class doesn’t mean you get starters from round 1 til round 4. It’s just better odds. But as Bobby posted, look at the picks after round 2 during that draft class.

Not even close dude. If you're quarantined and have some free time, you should spend it here: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtBCRt-5IbP1uggiqCdUvdQ/videos

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Let me clarify: I'm tired of the suggestion that it's the right way to build a team. 

• How did we acquire Marshall? Traded a 5th round pick. Enunwa? A 6th round pick. Decker? Acquired as a modest FA signing that most people on this board didn't like. 
  • Santonio? Traded a 5th round pick. Braylon? Traded a 3rd round pick? Plaxico? A cheap FA contract. Cotchery? A 4th round pick
  • Laveranues Coles? A 3rd round pick.  Santana Moss? Yes, a 1st round pick. Chrebet? Undrafted.  

I'm not against signing a WR nor am I against using a 1st round pick on one. But what needs to happen first and foremost is build an offensive line. I believe a team with a solid QB and solid OL can win without great receivers. I don't think a team with a poor OL can win regardless how good the receivers are (See Cleveland Browns, 2019). 

Build up the OL and the offense will be OK. 

That is exactly why some people want Jets to go after WR with "better" resume.  Some guys still care about 1k machine. Some guys are tired of going cheap on WR hoping we get steals.    With proven track of Jets, it is hard to win the "patience" debate with those guys.

All I can say for every fan is that I really want for Jets to step up and be successful for long term.  No matter who is on the roster.

Edited by JetsandI

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

That is exactly why some people want Jets to go after WR with "better" resume.  Some guys still care about 1k machine. Some guys are tired of going cheap on WR hoping we get steals.    With proven track of Jets, it is hard to win the "patience" debate with those guys.

All I can say for every fan is that I really want for Jets to step up and be successful for long term.  No matter who is on the roster.

If the Jets don't draft a top 75 receiver and avoid selecting another one in the 4th round or earlier, then I would say that the team is doing a disservice to the position. But I think a fan who throws their hands up in the air in disgust because they either don't acquire a "bonafide #1" WR via FA/trade or draft one in round 1 is either high or doesn't know a lick about the game of football. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rampantjet said:

Hence me saying almost none.   Also Watkins was like their 4th or 5th target on offense. 

He sure did a heck of a job knocking us out of the playoff a few years ago, catching 12 passes for well over a 100 yards. When we played  the Bills the last game of the season, if we won we would be in the playoffs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Hence me saying almost none.   Also Watkins was like their 4th or 5th target on offense. 

4th target, but wasn’t signed for that purpose based on that contract.

He also had a clutch super bowl catch in the 4th but sure