Jets sign George Fant

J_E_T_$

46 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

He sure did a heck of a job knocking us out of the playoff a few years ago, catching 12 passes for well over a 100 yards. When we played  the Bills the last game of the season, if we won we would be in the playoffs.

Great. He cost the Bills two 1st round picks and a 4th round pick and his accomplishment: knocked the Jets out of the playoffs. What a reward for the Bills 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DowNY said:

4th target, but wasn’t signed for that purpose based on that contract.

He also had a clutch super bowl catch in the 4th but sure

Would you have spent the 5th overall pick on what teams have gotten out of him?? I wouldn't have

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Great. He cost the Bills two 1st round picks and a 4th round pick and his accomplishment: knocked the Jets out of the playoffs. What a reward for the Bills 

All that time since then and now the Bills are the division favorite. Crazy.

3 minutes ago, DowNY said:

All that time since then and now the Bills are the division favorite. Crazy.

And they got back to the playoffs with a skill position group consisting of John Brown, Cole Beasley, Isaiah McKenzie, Dawson Knox, Frank Gore, and Devin Singletary. CrRrRrAaAaAzZzZyY. 

In all serious though, it's teams like the Bills why there shouldn't be reason to panic over the way the offense is trending. Build up the unit, add complementary pieces, then make the splash. I would've never made that trade for Diggs, but if the Jets rebuild the line this year and they still need some pop at WR, then go get someone when we can get out of Bell's contract. No need to overpay for one right now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

And they got back to the playoffs with a skill position group consisting of John Brown, Cole Beasley, Isaiah McKenzie, Dawson Knox, Frank Gore, and Devin Singletary. CrRrRrAaAaAzZzZyY. 

In all serious though, it's teams like the Bills why there shouldn't be reason to panic over the way the offense is trending. Build up the unit, add complementary pieces, then make the splash. I would've never made that trade for Diggs, but if the Jets rebuild the line this year and they still need some pop at WR, then go get someone when we can get out of Bell's contract. No need to overpay for one right now. 

I don’t think anyone is saying we should’ve made that trade for Diggs. It’s just that we as of now have 1 NFL caliber WR for our hopeful franchise QB. It’s completely normal for all of us to not be ok with that. And based on our draft history... we have every reason to doubt mid round WRs (Stewart, Hansen, Smith, Evans, Saunders, Hill). And we have every reason to question the next GM. Bc GM after GM with us nothing has changed.

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying we should’ve made that trade for Diggs. It’s just that we as of now have 1 NFL caliber WR for our hopeful franchise QB. It’s completely normal for all of us to not be ok with that. And based on our draft history... we have every reason to doubt mid round WRs (Stewart, Hansen, Smith, Evans, Saunders, Hill). And we have every reason to question the next GM. Bc GM after GM with us nothing has changed.

Another historical fallacy that I'm getting tired of hearing: "Based on our draft history". Unlucky? Yes. But to try and say we won't get a good WR because our drafting record, I don't know whether to laugh or feel infuriated.

The Jets have been unlucky, but to try and compare one administration to the last one is idiotic. "Based on our draft history", every player we select should be a bust. 

It's a literal joke to suggest that Douglas won't be able to find receivers because of the logo on the helmet.

Bottom line: in most drafts, only 30% of the players selected are going to become starters. It's a crapshoot. That being said, every year is different and some teams who take advantage of talented position groups vs. the weaker ones (which is where the whole BPA vs. Need strategy comes to play). 

I respect you Bobby, but you're better than that. Just because past selections didn't work do not predicate that future ones won't - especially when our entire front office and scouting department has been flipped over. You can question the administration - that's fair - but don't give me the dumbass radio host talk that "well the Jets won't get a good player because they never do." That's such a stupid ******* take. I'm sorry

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

Another historical fallacy that I'm getting tired of hearing: "Based on our draft history". Unlucky? Yes. But to try and say we won't get a good WR because our drafting record, I don't know whether to laugh or feel infuriated.

The Jets have been unlucky, but to try and compare one administration to the last one is idiotic. "Based on our draft history", every player we select should be a bust. 

It's a literal joke to suggest that Douglas won't be able to find receivers because of the logo on the helmet.

Bottom line: in most drafts, only 30% of the players selected are going to become starters. It's a crapshoot. That being said, every year is different and some teams who take advantage of talented position groups vs. the weaker ones (which is where the whole BPA vs. Need strategy comes to play). 

I respect you Bobby, but you're better than that. Just because past selections didn't work do not predicate that future ones won't - especially when our entire front office and scouting department has been flipped over. 

And as I stated GM after GM it’s been the same. We’ve been open minded every time a new GM has been brought in and it’s the same results. As a fan I 100% hope JD proves me wrong. But based on our GM history and no draft history from JD (being he's a 1st time GM) there’s reason to worry.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And as I stated GM after GM it’s been the same. We’ve been open minded every time a new GM has been brought in and it’s the same results. As a fan I 100% hope JD proves me wrong. But based on our GM history and no draft history from JD (being he's a 1st time GM) there’s reason to worry.

It's not about being open-minded or close-minded and you're entitled to be worried. But if you feel a certain way and want to express how you feel, maybe cite something with some relevance. Stating that we won't draft a good WR in the future because we have never done so in the past is no difference than the "short QBs will fail because all the ones in the past did" argument. It's stupid. 

Now, if you provide factual data that supports it- then it becomes more informed.

5 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It's not about being open-minded or close-minded and you're entitled to be worried. But if you feel a certain way and want to express how you feel, maybe cite something with some relevance. Stating that we won't draft a good WR in the future because we have never done so in the past is no difference than the "short QBs will fail because all the ones in the past did" argument. It's stupid. 

Now, if you provide factual data that supports it- then it becomes more informed.

The success rate for WRs in mid rounds isn’t good. Obviously that can be said for any position. But it’s true. There’s only around a 25% chance a 3rd rounder will have success at WR. And between a 12-18% chance a 4th or 5th rounder will have success. Compared to Round 1 with a 60% success rate as well as Round 2 with 50%. This shows me to expect success out of mid rounders the odds are stacked against us.

I can’t give you JD stats or history bc he’s never been a GM.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

The success rate for WRs in mid rounds isn’t good. Obviously that can be said for any position. But it’s true. There’s only around a 25% chance a 3rd rounder will have success at WR. And between a 12-18% chance a 4th or 5th rounder will have success. Compared to Round 1 with a 60% success rate as well as Round 2 with 50%. This shows me to expect success out of mid rounders the odds are stacked against us.

I can’t give you JD stats or history bc he’s never been a GM.

Where are you getting these statistics from? Let's see some sourcing and charting.

I've done it already so I'm confident in my take. I've posted it on this site, whereas you seem to just be pulling these figures out of thin air. 

Just now, jetskid007 said:

Where are you getting these statistics from? Let's see some sourcing and charting.

I've done it already so I'm confident in my take. I've posted it on this site, whereas you seem to just be pulling these figures out of thin air. 

These are from SB nation from like 3 years ago, so I’m sure the percentages are off by a few percent with recent draft history. And these numbers were over a 10 year time frame

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

These are from SB nation from like 3 years ago, so I’m sure the percentages are off by a few percent with recent draft history. And these numbers were over a 10 year time frame

It seems like you have some time on your hands considering we've been bantering on here for a while. Pull it up. I'm interested to be convinced that these "statistics" are an accurate reflection of reality. I want to be proven wrong on this topic. 

4 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It seems like you have some time on your hands considering we've been bantering on here for a while. Pull it up. I'm interested to be convinced that these "statistics" are an accurate reflection of reality. I want to be proven wrong on this topic. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round