Vikings trade WR Diggs to Bills

RaidersAreOne

Diggs is good, but he's only had good production here, not great. Now we have a chance to rebalance the roster, which I think was needed if we are going to stay competitive.  We still have to execute and turn those picks and extra flexibility into players that can produce.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

We don't have the cash to get Anderson. He is the best young WR on the market.

All based on how we do the deal. We have about 14 million in cap space. What is nice for next year is, 17 million will be freed up because of dead money this year. We could give him more in year 2.

1 minute ago, Worm Guts said:

Diggs is good, but he's only had good production here, not great. Now we have a chance to rebalance the roster, which I think was needed if we are going to stay competitive.  We still have to execute and turn those picks and extra flexibility into players that can produce.

Agreed totally, and if a team really wants Herbert or Love, and say one of them drop which they will most likely they would be willing to trade to get them.  Or the Vikings could use those two late 1st rounders for a team not in super need of a higher 1st rounder like the Raiders or Miami since they have so many.  Would be amazing to crack into the top 9 picks of the draft but not sure that happens.  Maybe Chicago wants to move into the 1st round and I would trade a 1st rounder for those two 2nd rounders they have.  

The Vikings could get a RB also if they want a future outside of Cook and they could have their choice of almost any one of them.  

What they do with Griffen is important, if he walks with these picks they could pick Gross-Matos or Epenesa potentially if they are there which would be great and instantly fill that void.  Or get a DT like Gallimore or Blacklock, or obviously a corner like Terrell or Diggs.  They just have way more options no doubt about it. 

Would have been a damn circus if they would have kept Stefon around with him not wanting to be a Vikings.  So he can just...

source.gif

Oh no let us keep a guy that does not want to be here just because he is young and has some ability?  No freaking thank you.  The baby can leave and I am glad he is gone.  I have said before he does not have the talent level to dish out the attitude and headache he brings at times.  The talk comparing him to Randy Moss needs to stop, Moss is one of the best receivers to ever play, Diggs is not.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Change the offense to keep him happy?

YES! 

The offense that would have seemingly made Diggs happy is a model of offense that the league is evolving towards, that the rules are changing to accommodate, and that college football is creating greater talent for. 

Good teams, good coaches adapt and change their schemes to fit the players they have, especially their good players. Right now, the Vikings are devolving into an organization that is deciding to choose a scheme and style of offense over the players because the Head Coach has an antiquated philosophy on football. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

All based on how we do the deal. We have about 14 million in cap space. What is nice for next year is, 17 million will be freed up because of dead money this year. We could give him more in year 2.

Yeah I just don't know if committing more future cap to a worse receiver that has had some off the field issues is a good plan. Especially with our holes we have and lack of depth at a lot of positions. We have enough guys paid towards the top of their positions, now we need to fill in with affordable options at multiple spots.

24 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Yup, he only just had back to back 1k seasons, with getting 1k last year off of 63 catches and while being the 34th targeted wide receiver in the nfl. What is gonna happen now that Adam thielen gets all of the attention? The Darius slays and Jaire Alexander’s following him with safety help, he is in trouble. The fact that we do not have a reliable receiver to pick up the slack is not gonna work out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Yup, he only just had back to back 1k seasons, with getting 1k last year off of 63 catches and while being the 34th targeted wide receiver in the nfl. What is gonna happen now that Adam thielen gets all of the attention? The Darius slays and Jaire Alexander’s following him with safety help, he is in trouble. The fact that we do not have a reliable receiver to pick up the slack is not gonna work out. 

Back to back 1K seasons is fine, but it hardly makes you elite.  I guess we'll see who we pair with Thielen and how he responds.  Thielen has been more productive than Diggs when healthy though.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

For those completely against trading Diggs, what would you have done? Change the offense to keep him happy? Tell Kirk to force feed him the ball? Tell him to suck it up up and hope he's a professional? What if he would have held out? 

We change the offense to a REALISTIC offense, that was his issue and will still be our downfall. Adam Thielen said it himself (coincidentally nobody made an issue of it) when he said we can’t run for 180 yards every game and win. He was 100% right. Just like we tried to run for 180 yards and win against San Fran and they completely shut cook down. I’m not saying that diggs is randy moss, but this is the same feeling I had in 05. Watching Vikings fans pretend that was a great move and we could replace his production in the draft and celebrate picking up that scrub Napoleon Harris. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Back to back 1K seasons is fine, but it hardly makes you elite.  I guess we'll see who we pair with Thielen and how he responds.  Thielen has been more productive than Diggs when healthy though.

That level of production for a WR plus the disgruntlement are perfect reasons to get a haul.

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

You could argue that he has been productive when healthy thanks to diggs presence on the field. Thielen has faced a heck of a lot of one on one coverages. That will change without question come September. Thielen is his best man handling cats in the slot, what happens when teams opposing top corners like Darius slay and Patrick Peterson begin shadowing him? This won’t work well, I’m telling you. 

4 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

We change the offense to a REALISTIC offense, that was his issue and will still be our downfall. Adam Thielen said it himself (coincidentally nobody made an issue of it) when he said we can’t run for 180 yards every game and win. He was 100% right. Just like we tried to run for 180 yards and win against San Fran and they completely shut cook down. I’m not saying that diggs is randy moss, but this is the same feeling I had in 05. Watching Vikings fans pretend that was a great move and we could replace his production in the draft and celebrate picking up that scrub Napoleon Harris. 

They also tried DeFiliipos offense which consisted of 70% passing and that was a colossal faiiure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Illadelegend215 said:

You could argue that he has been productive when healthy thanks to diggs presence on the field. Thielen has faced a heck of a lot of one on one coverages. That will change without question come September. Thielen is his best man handling cats in the slot, what happens when teams opposing top corners like Darius slay and Patrick Peterson begin shadowing him? This won’t work well, I’m telling you. 

Maybe you're right, but we still don't even know who's going to be on the other side.  We could also use some of the assets we gained to upgrade the offensive line, which would help Thielen and the rest of the offense. Or maybe we're able to upgrade the defense.  There's still a lot that's going to happen.

• Like 1