Vikings trade WR Diggs to Bills

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

None of those guys are good, let alone elite. They are starters because the team had massive holes. Look, everyone here knows that the huge, vast majority of players taken in round four and later, across the league, never even play more than a year or two. Let's not pretend it is likely any of the picks matter past the first. They could be good, but they aren't likely to be good. Those are the facts of how the draft works.

Odenigo could be elite or very good someday. Odoh could fill the right tackle position for years to come. Kris Boyd was getting better the more he played last year and could be a great depth player. I'm not going to knock them. Championship teams need good depth as much as they need stars on their team. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I've never been all that concerned about on-field antics from Diggs or Thielen (even as I wish they didn't happen).  It's the off-field antics that I'm concerned about.  And Thielen never quit on the team.  Diggs did.  That's the difference.  And it's a huge difference.  I was fine with Diggs and had no qualms about him until that incident.  However, after that point, I felt that he probably needed to be moved, because that made it evident that he didn't want to be there.

Did he quit?  I recall him not attending practice a couple of days after being upset about how he was being used in the offense.  I also remember that after he returned he played really well.  I doubt you'd get his teammates to agree that he quit on the team.

As far as all the "drama"...he's nowhere in the league of TO or Antonio Brown as far as being a problem.  I agree with #JDBrocks, that all the comparisons to even Moss are pretty over the top.

But, you also are right.  If Diggs truly didn't want to be in Minnesota (and the resigning of Cousins was probably the proverbial straw that caused the camel's spinal injury) then Spielman needed to trade him.  He got decent compensation for trade; but I will miss Diggs.

17 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Odenigo could be elite or very good someday. Odoh could fill the right tackle position for years to come. Kris Boyd was getting better the more he played last year and could be a great depth player. I'm not going to knock them. Championship teams need good depth as much as they need stars on their team. 

Nice straw man. In arguing saying those late picks are a great haul is not true, that they are not likely to be good starters. I'm not arguing they can't be depth. 

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

We will all miss Diggs, on the field. Hard to replace a mid 20 year old top 10 WR.

The problem is people don’t believe that. A lot of fans here think he is a good number 2 that wouldn’t last as a number one. When thielen now gets the double coverage and Patrick Peterson’s shadowing him the way diggs was, he WILL struggle. All we needed to do was improve our play calling and everything would have been fine. Mark my words, this will hurt us. 

6 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Nice straw man. In arguing saying those late picks are a great haul is not true, that they are not likely to be good starters. I'm not arguing they can't be depth. 

Randy Moss only fetched a 1st rounder and Napoleon Harris. I think the Vikings did great compared to that trade and the Deandre Hopkins trade.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

YES! 

The offense that would have seemingly made Diggs happy is a model of offense that the league is evolving towards, that the rules are changing to accommodate, and that college football is creating greater talent for. 

Good teams, good coaches adapt and change their schemes to fit the players they have, especially their good players. Right now, the Vikings are devolving into an organization that is deciding to choose a scheme and style of offense over the players because the Head Coach has an antiquated philosophy on football. 

Why should they change when what they're running is working? Losing to the 49ers in the Divisional last year isn't a mark of shame.

They are a good team, and they don't have to adapt to any one good player. Their "antiquated" scheme was successful. Sorry that bothered you so much.

46 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Did he quit?  I recall him not attending practice a couple of days after being upset about how he was being used in the offense.  I also remember that after he returned he played really well.  I doubt you'd get his teammates to agree that he quit on the team.

As far as all the "drama"...he's nowhere in the league of TO or Antonio Brown as far as being a problem.  I agree with #JDBrocks, that all the comparisons to even Moss are pretty over the top.

But, you also are right.  If Diggs truly didn't want to be in Minnesota (and the resigning of Cousins was probably the proverbial straw that caused the camel's spinal injury) then Spielman needed to trade him.  He got decent compensation for trade; but I will miss Diggs.

From what I understand of the culture of a football team, you disappear for a couple of days without a legitimate excuse, that is, in fact, quitting on the team.  You've put yourself above the team.  It was only after being fined a significant amount of money that he returned.  It wasn't because of some devotion to the team that he returned, it was the money.  

As it stands, yes, I will miss his performance, because he clearly is a good player, but as far as the other nonsense that tends to go along with it, I won't miss that...even if it's not in the category of a AB or TO, which is clearly the case.  It's more of the kind that's like a mosquito, where it keeps annoying you and you keep having to slap at it a few times, yet it comes back and tries to bite you again.    

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Randy Moss only fetched a 1st rounder and Napoleon Harris. I think the Vikings did great compared to that trade and the Deandre Hopkins trade.

The Hopkins trade was awful.....and I said the trade might be fair, but people are saying its a HAUL. That those late picks are important. 

I mean, it sucks compared to the Herschel Walker deal, that doesn't make it a bad deal.....

Edited by PrplChilPill

1 hour ago, babababa said:

Why should they change when what they're running is working? Losing to the 49ers in the Divisional last year isn't a mark of shame.

They are a good team, and they don't have to adapt to any one good player. Their "antiquated" scheme was successful. Sorry that bothered you so much.

Beating up on bad teams doesn’t make you a good team. 

• Like 1

Diggs and Thielen wanting the offense to open which it should but to a certain degree. I don't get this "Vikings offensive approach won't work ". 49ers just went to the SB with the same run-heavy offense. NE went to the SB previous year with the same approach. Before KC SB win this past year you can make a stronger case against a pass-happy vs conservative offense. I will miss Diggs his antics were annoying but always played full of passion.    

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 1