Vikings trade WR Diggs to Bills

RaidersAreOne

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I still think Diggs’ unhappiness was contract related.

The extension he signed less than 2 years ago? What’s changed since he signed it?

How does getting traded to Buffalo help his contract situation?

• Like 1

Diggs was likely unhappy with the offense.
He was beating his man, and not getting the ball at a high enough clip.
I agree with that.
That is partly due to the offense we run and partly due to Cousins.

We could only hope that Jefferson is as equally talented as Diggs in ~3 years, and we have moved on from Cousins (to a better QB if possible).
But it also shouldn't be hugely surprising if non-local star WRs, want a change of scenario, if they are not getting the ball enough.
Its the nature of the WR diva beast

• Like 3

1 hour ago, battle2heaven said:

Buffalo didn’t pass that much more than the Vikings last year. 

No, but he's going from a 1a/1b situation to a situation where he should be the clear-cut No. 1 option. John Brown and Cole Beasley should be nowhere near Adam Thielen in Diggs' mind in terms of competition for targets.

2 hours ago, Klomp said:

No, but he's going from a 1a/1b situation to a situation where he should be the clear-cut No. 1 option. John Brown and Cole Beasley should be nowhere near Adam Thielen in Diggs' mind in terms of competition for targets.

Until they draft Rashod Bateman or Ja'Marr Chase next year.  

4 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Buffalo didn’t pass that much more than the Vikings last year. 

Buffalo gave up good draft capital for him.
They should have a plan to give him the absolute Lion's share of the passes available (even if the raw total is not drastically higher than minny/other teams)

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Buffalo gave up good draft capital for him.
They should have a plan to give him the absolute Lion's share of the passes available (even if the raw total is not drastically higher than minny/other teams)

The Randy ratio treatment??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Might have worked if we didn’t have a buffoon of a HC at the time.

Mike Tice was doing a lot of learning on the job but I liked him. I blame Red McCombs for Tice's failure. Tice was in way over his head and was short staffed, but I don't blame him for accepting the head coach position. Heck, I would have accepted it had McCombs offered it to me even knowing that I am completely unqualified for the job.

The players liked Mike Tice too. Diggs probably would have been more satisfied here had Mike Tice still been the coach.

That said, I am glad that we have Mike Zimmer right now instead of Mike Tice.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Krauser said:

The extension he signed less than 2 years ago? What’s changed since he signed it?

How does getting traded to Buffalo help his contract situation?

The Vikings also gave Diggs the opportunity to earn base salary escalators in 2022 and 2023; his deal is worth $72 million now, but could earn him up to $81 million through escalators and incentives.

https://m.startribune.com/stefon-diggs-deal-with-vikings-guaranteed-money-early-salary-escalators-late/489877381/

Diggs signed his contract in July, after he got to see the offensive plan laid out by John DeFilippo, and those escalators likely reflected the production he expected in that offense. 

Diggs’ displeasure and social media jabs didn’t start until after the 2018 season, when Zimmer made it abundantly clear that he wanted to be a run first, control the clock offensive team. And he doubled down this offseason. 

Diggs likely saw his chances to reach his contract escalators dwindle, which could have caused his displeasure with the team and desire to go separate ways. 

And I never said a trade to Buffalo would help his contract, but if he believed being in Minnesota wasn’t going to maximize his contract, asking for a trade would give him the potential to elsewhere. 

Again, this is just a theory. But one that makes more sense than he was simply upset with the offense, or that he didn’t like Cousins, etc. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Diggs likely saw his chances to reach his contract escalators dwindle, which could have caused his displeasure with the team and desire to go separate ways. 

Ah that’s really interesting, I had no idea. Makes sense.

Has that been discussed anywhere or did you come up with that yourself?

Do we know how much that incentive would’ve paid off? Was it just 2022-23 or did he already lose money under Kubiak? 

• 4 weeks later...

Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said earlier this month that the team didn’t intend to trade wide receiver Stefon Diggs this offseason, but that the offer from the Bills was too good for them to pass up. Head coach Mike Zimmer sent the same message during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show this week. Zimmer cited the draft picks the team got from Buffalo and the salary cap relief provided by the deal as reasons why it made sense for the team.

Zimmer also referenced tweets Diggs sent about a desire to head elsewhere and other moments when it seemed Diggs was less than thrilled about life with the Vikings. Zimmer said Diggs was like all receivers in terms of wanting the ball, but called the wideout a hard worker and said he wasn’t overly difficult to deal with.

Zimmer: “If you said somebody was a pain in the butt, you probably wouldn’t say him.  I’ve been around way worse guys than him, and I hope he has a great career and finishes up strong.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/29/mike-zimmer-stefon-diggs-wasnt-a-pain-in-the-butt/

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

One player has expressed his concern about playing while COVID-19 cases continue to rise in many places with no vaccine in sight.

Bills receiver Stefon Diggs posted multiple tweets about his feelings Tuesday: “I love football . . . with all of me. But there’s so many unanswered questions with this upcoming season. I’d be lying if I said I was comfortable starting back up. I’ve been training my butt off just trying to stay ready and prepared.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/07/stefon-diggs-id-be-lying-if-i-said-i-was-comfortable-starting-back-up/