Current "Ring of Honor" for your team?

ET80

On 7/24/2017 at 1:06 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Current players?  Joe Thomas.

All players from the last 2 decades? Joe Thomas.

:(

Phil Dawson. Was the team MVP most years.

Also likely Josh Cribbs. Holds some records and was the MVP years that Phil wasn't.

Maybe Joe Haden if he can get a couple good healthy seasons in before retirement.

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Phil Dawson. Was the team MVP most years.

Also likely Josh Cribbs. Holds some records and was the MVP years that Phil wasn't.

Maybe Joe Haden if he can get a couple good healthy seasons in before retirement.

Just because he was "team MVP" doesn't mean he was actually valuable.  Their perceived value was a reflection of the absolute lack of talent on the team since 99.

Neither are worthy of "Ring of Honor" type acknowlgement IMO.

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just because he was "team MVP" doesn't mean he was actually valuable.  Their perceived value was a reflection of the absolute lack of talent on the team since 99.

Neither are worthy of "Ring of Honor" type acknowlgement IMO.

My opinion differs. Both were among the best in the game at what they did for the majority of their careers. If you don't think a special teamer is deserving I get it (don't necessarily agree) but they were really good players.I guess it also depends on how stringent you want to be with the list, we aren't talking NFL greats (HOF takes care of that) just Cleveland greats.

Still don't know what's taking us so long to officially retire Steve McNair and Eddie George's number. No one has worn 9 or 27 since they've left us, so I don't know what the wait is for.

As far as current players. I could see Jurrell Casey and Delanie Walker's numbers potentially being retired some day. 

2 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Still don't know what's taking us so long to officially retire Steve McNair and Eddie George's number. No one has worn 9 or 27 since they've left us, so I don't know what the wait is for.

As far as current players. I could see Jurrell Casey and Delanie Walker's numbers potentially being retired some day. 

Quoting myself but just read that Bud Adams made one of the requirements to get into our ring of honor/jersey retirement is you must be a hall of famer. So unless things change, the likely hood of any of our current players getting in is slim to none.

1 minute ago, TitanSlim said:

Quoting myself but just read that Bud Adams made one of the requirements to get into our ring of honor/jersey retirement is you must be a hall of famer. So unless things change, the likely hood of any of our current players getting in is slim to none.

If anyone deserves and exception it needs to be #9 and #27

We notoriously don't retire jersey numbers. And we haven't had many franchise mainstays the last decade or so.  I guess the only one who qualifies is Charles Woodson.  Which is cool since he's may favorite Raider of all time.  Been meaning to get his jersey for years.

On 7/20/2017 at 0:11 PM, scar988 said:

The Falcons current Ring of Honor:

QB Steve Bartkowski

RB William Andrews

RB Gerald Riggs

C Jeff Van Note

OT Mike Kenn

DL Claude Humphrey

LB Tommy Nobis

LB Jessie Tuggle

CB Deion Sanders

Guys who should be added:

QB Michael Vick

QB Matt Ryan

RB Warrick Dunn

RB Michael Turner

WR Roddy White

WR Julio Jones

TE Tony Gonzalez

TE Alge Crumpler

C Todd McClure

DL Jonathan Babineaux

DE Patrick Kerney

DE John Abraham

LB Keith Brooking

That's one heck of big ring ya got there.  O.o

57 minutes ago, Pugger said:
On 7/20/2017 at 1:11 PM, scar988 said:

The Falcons current Ring of Honor:

QB Steve Bartkowski

RB William Andrews

RB Gerald Riggs

C Jeff Van Note

OT Mike Kenn

DL Claude Humphrey

LB Tommy Nobis

LB Jessie Tuggle

CB Deion Sanders

Guys who should be added:

QB Michael Vick

QB Matt Ryan

RB Warrick Dunn

RB Michael Turner

WR Roddy White

WR Julio Jones

TE Tony Gonzalez

TE Alge Crumpler

C Todd McClure

DL Jonathan Babineaux

DE Patrick Kerney

DE John Abraham

LB Keith Brooking

That's one heck of big ring ya got there.  O.o

Only nine in currently.

I will admit my Falcons ignorance and say I only recognize Bartkowski, Riggs, Humphrey, and Sanders, and I only know Riggs because he made his way over to the Redskins at the end of his career, and only know Humphrey because he was a senior committee candidate for the Hall of Fame.

16 minutes ago, Woz said:

Only nine in currently.

I will admit my Falcons ignorance and say I only recognize Bartkowski, Riggs, Humphrey, and Sanders, and I only know Riggs because he made his way over to the Redskins at the end of his career, and only know Humphrey because he was a senior committee candidate for the Hall of Fame.

yup. And that's a good place to start. Dallas has like 30-40 people in theirs. I just picked the multi-time pro bowl players or key guys.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:54 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Adrian Peterson and Harrison Smith should be locks.

I don't know if Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson, Matt Birk or Antoine Winfield made it, but they should. Same with the Williams Wall.

Smith is a lock, but Jared Allen might not get in? I don't agree with that at all.

Larry Fitzgerald and Patrick Peterson are both locks right now

David Johnson and Tyran Mathieu are headed in that direction as long as they stay the course and stay healthy.

If we make a run in the playoffs, Palmer is in it as well. 

Although he's gone, Calais Campbell has a damn good argument to be made, if Karlos Dansby delivers a solid year for us this year it'll be hard to keep him out as well. 

Guys on the cusp with the potential to be there are Chandler Jones, Markus Golden, and DJ Humphries but it's very early for all of them. They need more longevity and sustained high level of play 

9 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Smith is a lock, but Jared Allen might not get in? I don't agree with that at all.

I said I don't know, not that he might not get in. you're taking it from a negative viewpoint, when in reality I think it's questionable. he spent...what? half his career in Minnesota? he dominated in that time, even though it wasn't all that long.

I think all of those guys should make it in. I don't know if they will or not.

Broncos who are not on it yet on the Ring of Fame but should be are: 

• Mike Shanahan
  • Champ Bailey
  • Peyton Manning
  • Von Miller
  • Chris Harris Jr. 
  • Al Wilson
  • Ryan Clady (his induction was a subject of discussion on the radio today in fact)

MIke, Champ and Peyton are locks, it's just a matter of when. Von and CHJ are is a locks too but both have long careers left. 

There was actually more debate about Ryan Clady today on the radio and online than I thought there would be. I'm still wondering when Al Wilson, a Broncos lifer who made 5 Pro Bowls, was a perennial defensive captain but retired early due to injury, is not yet in. I think both Clady and Wilson should be a locks but apparently others disagree. There is also the issue of DeMarcus Ware, who is a sure-fire Hall of Famer and meant a great deal to our Super Bowl 50 win, but only spent 3 years with the team and was injured for a portion of all of them. IMO, his contributions were more significant than of John Lynch (a player a love, don't get me wrong) and he was a virtual shoo-in. 

There are also players who are still playing but right now I would classify as "on the bubble" depending upon how the rest of their career turns out. DeMaryius Thomas, Aquib Talib, Derek Wolfe and Brandon Marshall among them. 

Archived