Lions sign DL Nicholas Williams

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Why is everyone getting so worked up over a rotational piece with no guaranteed money? We lack bodies on the DLine. They're bringing guys in. If he can't win a roster spot, he gets cut.

He would've finished 3rd on our team in sacks last year as a rotational player, with Flowers and Kennard each one above him.

Where are you seeing that there is no guaranteed money?  I haven’t seen anything specifically saying that. It seems like the total amount and years is the only thing that’s been reported so far. I would be surprised if he doesn’t have $3-4 million guaranteed. 

4 minutes ago, winitall said:

Where are you seeing that there is no guaranteed money?  I haven’t seen anything specifically saying that. It seems like the total amount and years is the only thing that’s been reported so far. I would be surprised if he doesn’t have $3-4 million guaranteed. 

I've checked every report and none have reported guaranteed money. That information is usually made known. If there is, I'd like to know.

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I've checked every report and none have reported guaranteed money. That information is usually made known. If there is, I'd like to know.

When is the last time an NFL contract was signed without guaranteed money? Side note, guaranteed contracts was something else the players were trying to get in the labor agreement that they did not.  But they can smoke weed so good for them. 

6 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Neither Spotrac or OTC have any details on the deal besides what has been tweeted out. I’d argue it is more likely that info just isn’t out yet than that a player signed a deal on Day 1 of FA with zero guaranteed money. 

18 minutes ago, winitall said:

Neither Spotrac or OTC have any details on the deal besides what has been tweeted out. I’d argue it is more likely that info just isn’t out yet than that a player signed a deal on Day 1 of FA with zero guaranteed money. 

Why do we as fans really care about the money the team is paying a player? Obviously they need to be mindful of the salary cap, but I cannot recall the Lions being in cap trouble for some time now. I have said it before, and it bares repeating... Nfl teams know what they are doing when it comes to the salary cap. We only think we do.

5 minutes ago, BarryTheBest said:

Why do we as fans really care about the money the team is paying a player? Obviously they need to be mindful of the salary cap, but I cannot recall the Lions being in cap trouble for some time now. I have said it before, and it bares repeating... Nfl teams know what they are doing when it comes to the salary cap. We only think we do.

We care because it is a way of comparing results achieved by GMs. If the Lions give $25 million APY to Collins, Williams, and Vaitai, it is worth considering who they could have signed instead. 

• Like 1

Just now, winitall said:

We care because it is a way of comparing results achieved by GMs. If the Lions give $25 million APY to Collins, Williams, and Vaitai, it is worth considering who they could have signed instead. 

I guess my question was in a vacuum.. Good response.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, winitall said:

Good answer, and I also think it helps in understanding who is a good talent evaluator and who isn't.  If you constantly overpay for guys who under-perform, thinking you are smarter than the rest of the league and continually swing and miss, that shows a trend of poor talent evaluation.  If a team recognizes talent and understands they may not be worth what they are going to get on the market and let them go, that is good talent evaluation.  We are trying to be New England by signing their leftovers and trying to overpay the type of players they get on reasonable contracts and develop.  Then when they develop they end up costing too much and coming here.  We have a finite amount of money to spend and good teams tend to spend more on good players that are integral to their teams success and less on fringe starters.  So when we are paying fringe starters money comparable to good starters on other teams, it shows me we are building our team wrong.

Also the guaranteed money is a big thing for future years. If this staff is not here next year, which I sort of am expecting, I am interested in how these signings will impact us into the future.  This one isnt a big deal given its only two years, but would depend on the guaranteed money.  

Also, we aren't a winning franchise, so comparing our contracts to others needs to be understood that people don't want to come here, for whatever reason.  Case in point Richard Sherman.  maybe he is an outlier, but I don't think so and there is no way for me to prove it.  I do think it has to be considered when comparing our GM against others.