Malcolm Butler the next Jamie Collins?

Apparition

9 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

It's not like he hasn't had stretches of poor play before. He's played so few snaps this year that I wouldn't draw conclusions from his 2017 body of work. He's a guy who has had work ethic and conditioning issues before so it wouldn't be a surprise if he's just out of shape. 

It wouldn't surprise me either, but what about age-factor? I'd expect a gradual decline if that were the case though. 

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It wouldn't surprise me either, but what about age-factor? I'd expect a gradual decline if that were the case though. 

Guys with that type of size and play style don't usually fall apart quickly unless they're hurt. 

A gradual decline, as you mentioned, is more likely but his play this year doesn't seem symptomatic of a slight drop off in ability 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Kyed is one of the worst beat reporters/bloggers/whatever he considers himself that I've ever read. Awful writer with awful insight

The "Pats will trade Butler because Collins" stuff is lazy writing to an extreme. He even goes as far as to suggest the same compensation.

Could Butler get traded? Sure. Is a 3rd an unthinkable return? No. But all these guys in the media are writing the same stuff with no thought or real analysis.

The Pats have kept far more soon-to-be-free-agents than they've traded. But hey, Collins was moved so clearly Butler is halfway out the door. 

So lazy and brainless. Par for the course for most of these professional "writers" unfortunately.

We have to watch Butler over the next two weeks.

Collins had snap decrease week over week before he was traded. Greg Bedard of Boston Sports Journal, debunked the “mismatch gameplan” myth with Butler.

This is a real benching. 

They also lost value on him. They could’ve sold high in offseason but now they’ll have to take a 3rd round pick. What team will give more for a soon to be FA in, let’s say, October?

It’s the main reason for lack of compensation in Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins trades. It also bears watching with Jimmy G.

12 minutes ago, hollywood14 said:

We have to watch Butler over the next two weeks.

Collins had snap decrease week over week before he was traded. Greg Bedard of Boston Sports Journal, debunked the “mismatch gameplan” myth with Butler.

This is a real benching. 

They also lost value on him. They could’ve sold high in offseason but now they’ll have to take a 3rd round pick. What team will give more for a soon to be FA in, let’s say, October?

It’s the main reason for lack of compensation in Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins trades. It also bears watching with Jimmy G.

Chandler Jones was traded in the beginning of the offseason so he's irrelevant to Butler

Butler and Collins are very different situations no matter how much people want to draw similarities towards them

I'm not sure how the Pats "lost value" on Butler by not dumping him for whatever offer might have been out there. 

Butler gets benched or demoted for one game and everyone starts assuming he's out of here for some low pick. It's not unthinkable but it's nowhere near as likely as people are suggesting. 

Jones, Collins and Butler are similar because of contracts.

You have to find a trade partner to give up value (and contract) to Butler now instead of waiting four months. 

The Saints, for example, aren’t competing this year. They won’t give up a pick now, they’ll wait until March. 

You handcuff yourself with value, IMO. They could have likely got a second from NO in offseason, if I had to guess.

I’m not implying he gets traded, just stating his value WILL decrease because of FA status.

I wouldn't mind the Rams trying to make a deal with NE for Butler. This is kind of a crazy offer because it'll never happen, but this is an idea I had:

Rams Trade

OLB Robert Quinn

WR Tavon Austin

2018 Third Round Pick

Patriots Trade

CB Malcolm Butler

HB Dion Lewis

2018 Second Round Pick

Lewis replaces Lance Dunbar. Patriots get a talented gadget in Austin. Patriots get a talented pass rusher in Quinn. We get a talented cover CB in Butler. We swap picks and get the better pick because Quinn is under contract through 2019. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I wouldn't mind the Rams trying to make a deal with NE for Butler. This is kind of a crazy offer because it'll never happen, but this is an idea I had:

Rams Trade

OLB Robert Quinn

WR Tavon Austin

2018 Third Round Pick

Patriots Trade

CB Malcolm Butler

HB Dion Lewis

2018 Second Round Pick

Lewis replaces Lance Dunbar. Patriots get a talented gadget in Austin. Patriots get a talented pass rusher in Quinn. We get a talented cover CB in Butler. We swap picks and get the better pick because Quinn is under contract through 2019. Thoughts?

Trades of that size are very rare midseason. Austin doesn’t add much to WR core, IMO. I think they keep Lewis around because RB depth is key with skill position injuries.

Archived