LB Blake Martinez signs with Giants

Acgott

13 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I hope this takes you out of the Isaiah Simmons race

I don't think it does. This is a replacement for Ogletree. Fackrell is a replacement for Golden, who I suspect won't be resigned. With just replacements, our defense still needs a massive influx on talent and upgrades. Simmons definitely shouldn't be counted out yet.

23 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I don't think it does. This is a replacement for Ogletree. Fackrell is a replacement for Golden, who I suspect won't be resigned. With just replacements, our defense still needs a massive influx on talent and upgrades. Simmons definitely shouldn't be counted out yet.

I don’t think we got any better or plugged any holes despite spending the cash. I don’t believe CB was gonna be an early need.  We still need a LT, RT, OC, ILB, FS, Edge. Estimates are we have about $11M in cap space left so we are likely done. 

Our best bet is to trade back several times and accumulate picks and hope we can walk away with Queen, Baun/Uche, Ruiz/Cushenberry, and a tackle. 

3 hours ago, Kodaraw said:

I don’t think we got any better or plugged any holes despite spending the cash. I don’t believe CB was gonna be an early need.  We still need a LT, RT, OC, ILB, FS, Edge. Estimates are we have about $11M in cap space left so we are likely done. 

Our best bet is to trade back several times and accumulate picks and hope we can walk away with Queen, Baun/Uche, Ruiz/Cushenberry, and a tackle. 

I truly believe this is whats coming. He is going to trade back and allocate picks. In my mock i wrote on this website, i have only 1 trade down from DG in rd1 but i think now it could be more coming with him. 

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, our fan base hates all of our ILBs. Don't believe too much of what they say about Martinez. 

If you want to get a fair look at Martinez, check out the first half of the Seahawks playoff game:

g4gQtiJ.gif

The entire defense does a good job here, but Martinez does a good job of scraping over the top and staying tight enough to the line to avoid the crack block from Metcalf.

kcLsY6O.gif

He didn't get to shoot gaps aggressively in our defense, but when he did, he was pretty good at it.

nJKTNjr.gif

If you hear anybody talk about having to make Z. Smith "right" this is what they're talking about. Martinez is stuck here trying to read if he's got the A gap or the C gap. Still makes a pretty good fill and tackle.

PzdtX8F.gif

I bring this game up because Wilson forces the defense into doing some things they don't often do. Here's Martinez handling Lockett in the slot. He's got enough speed in his backpedal to get good depth and a good feel for the passing game to stay on top of guys in the zone fills. 

6TPCqVQ.gif

This should have been an interception. Martinez is gonna bump the deep crosser off his route. Wilson's going to throw to the adjusted path whereas the receiver is going to fight to get back on the original path. The end result is a ball thrown over the receiver's head hitting our CB between the number.

4gfUw9s.gif

Stride for stride with Lockett on the corner route. I'm about 99% sure it's a dummy route, but Martinez is there with him.

De3IdKt.gif

Again, there's a ton of hate on the dude for his coverage and his athleticism. Both of which are more than fine. He gets plenty of depth in his backpedal.

HzGQkJ7.gif

Good depth in the backpedal. Good open field tackle. That's what your ILB to do on 3rd and long.

G51kePE.gif

If the DL is going to get beat, fill fast and aggressive. Kenny Clark is a phenomenal NT and the rest of our DL was terrible. It's a credit to Martinez that we weren't way worse in the run game.

6WszqoE.gif

He gets the spy role against Wilson here. He does a good job with it and forces the throwaway.

qvoCVQ4.gif

TE is gonna have a killshot on him. Martinez is going to handle the block, keep an arm free in his gap and then close for the tackle.

+++

Just sort of for your own knowledge, look at these plays and count the number of blockers vs the number of defenders. Note how many plays there's a safety in the box to help in run defense (there's only 1 and it's against the 3 TE set in the redzone). This was a defense the entire year that was built around stopping the pass first and counting on the fact that nobody can do enough damage running the ball in 2020 to kill you. 

Martinez was also left on an island a lot this year. The Smiths were pretty much allowed to decide whether they wanted to inside or outside rush, which is great from a pass rushing perspective, but when you're the ILB trying to fill the gaps behind them in run defense, it's a nightmare. 

Don't let our fanbase turn you against the guy. He's gonna do well for you. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You need a pass rusher in the worst way. Unfortunately it's not a good draft for that need, especially at 6. Fackrell is a nice complimentary piece, but he's not that guy. 

Agreed, it’s the reason I been pushing so hard for Simmons. While not a pass rusher, we need a difference maker on defense.

1 minute ago, Acgott said:

Agreed, it’s the reason I been pushing so hard for Simmons. While not a pass rusher, we need a difference maker on defense.

I don't know if I could get on board with that.

I know your QB is cheap, but 5 of your 8 biggest cap hits this year are to guys playing a non premium position. 

Of the three guys playing the premiums, Solder, Williams, and Bradberry, Bradberry is the only one I would be happy about in terms of pay for play. 

I think the foundation is still a little shaky to be sinking a 10per contract and a top 6 pick into ILB. 

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't know if I could get on board with that.

I know your QB is cheap, but 5 of your 8 biggest cap hits this year are to guys playing a non premium position. 

Of the three guys playing the premiums, Solder, Williams, and Bradberry, Bradberry is the only one I would be happy about in terms of pay for play. 

I think the foundation is still a little shaky to be sinking a 10per contract and a top 6 pick into ILB. 

I don’t like the scenario and I know very little about the prospects but I think it’s the  right decision.

QB/Pass Rusher are the premium positions. I think teams do very well with an average OL. The Giants do have a trash OL, and it’s a major concern, but last year I saw an average offense with their best player injured and their top three receivers trading off suspension/injuries. I don’t think an OL is the right use of a top 5 pick. I think a serviceable player there in the middle rounds or a late veteran addition is a much better use of assets.

I looked at a few big boards and I see Simmons higher than the OL, which keep trading spots with each other. The Giants are dying for a leader on their defense. They need a playmaker there in the worse way. For a player that can do so much on the field, I believe it’s the right decision.

Of course, I already know the Giants will go OL at #4, it’s where everyone is leaning towards, and it be another misuse of a top 5 pick.

24 minutes ago, Acgott said:

I don’t like the scenario and I know very little about the prospects but I think it’s the  right decision.

QB/Pass Rusher are the premium positions. I think teams do very well with an average OL. The Giants do have a trash OL, and it’s a major concern, but last year I saw an average offense with their best player injured and their top three receivers trading off suspension/injuries. I don’t think an OL is the right use of a top 5 pick. I think a serviceable player there in the middle rounds or a late veteran addition is a much better use of assets.

I looked at a few big boards and I see Simmons higher than the OL, which keep trading spots with each other. The Giants are dying for a leader on their defense. They need a playmaker there in the worse way. For a player that can do so much on the field, I believe it’s the right decision.

Of course, I already know the Giants will go OL at #4, it’s where everyone is leaning towards, and it be another misuse of a top 5 pick.

A good Tackle impacts the game more than a good ILB. QB/OT/DE/DT/CB are your premiums. There's a reason those are drafted so much higher than the other spots. 

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A good Tackle impacts the game more than a good ILB. QB/OT/DE/DT/CB are your premiums. There's a reason those are drafted so much higher than the other spots. 

A good OT may impact the game more than a good LB, but the impact between a good LB to an average LB is bigger compared to OL

I disagree about the premium positions, but that’s a different argument

At the #4 pick,  you should be taking the BPA. Simmons is the better player than the OL. Maybe if one was ranked higher, or there was a consensus, I’ll feel differently, but there is too much varying information between them.