Question for 49ers fans:

Lamb may be the best WR in space in this draft. He’s been required to block in OU’s Offense. His hands are outstanding. He is aggressive on the ball and knows at what point to attack the ball. I think he would be great for Shanahan’s O, but there is no way to tell if that is the direction we are looking. Of course, that’s a good thing. But it sure can be frustrating for fans of certain prospects.

the thing about our FO is that we have done some unexpected things in the past. We have made moves that felt way out of left field but somehow worked out. McGlinchy is one in particular. NO ONE saw us taking a T. no one saw us trading buck. 

I read something about the Dee Ford trade that was interesting. It said that we made the trade for ford knowing that bosa was going to be our pick. we decided that bosa and ford were a good pairing of ends because they have different styles, which is true. We saw the draft board and had the awareness to make one move that tied in with another move. 

We clearly have a plan for #13. We wouldnt have made the trade without knowing what we were going to do with it. The buckner trade wasnt "we think its good value and will get a good player" No. It was "we are going to do A, B, or C with it depending on these other factors". Obviously there are contingency plans, but they have a really good idea of who they want there. There is definitely a 'plan A' already set in place. 

I just have a hard time believing that we are going to WR at 13. Kyle does fall in love with guys though, so it wouldnt surprise me that much. Smart money says draft one of the guys that falls to #31 or to develop later on. It would be good value based on how much talent is at the position this year. Tee Higgins, Jefferson, Mimms. Any three of those guys at 31 would be great value. None of them are the types of players that are usually available that late. That would be a good use of resources.

This offense is hard to learn for WRs because of all of the slight variations in how routes are supposed to be run. So, I would be fine with drafting someone in the 4th or 5th with good physical traits that we can mold. Someone that normally wouldnt have fallen but was overshadowed at WR this year due to the deep class. Someone that wes welker can coach up. that would maximize the draft capital that we have. I wouldnt expect a lot year 1 for this player but we DO have other guys in this spot, we just dont have anyone elite (yet). 

Hopefully Hurd can be healthy. Hopefully Pettis grows a pair. Hopefully trent taylor comes back. He and Jimmy were deadly on third down. Hurd especially would add some size we dont have at the position. 

As @J-ALL-DAY said the other day, we have spent A LOT of capital on WRs the last few years. We did do the same thing with DL, and the last guy we drafted was the best one we drafted, so I dont want the sunk cost of other resources spent at WR to change how we approach this pick. IF we believe there is a WR at #13 that would potentially draw double coverage and open up everything else, I have no issue drafting them in that spot. Jeudy really seems like that guy, but no chance he makes it past the raiders. Hard to trade up given where we are, so he doesnt seem likely. Holy **** that guy is a good route runner. He has the deep speed that would be a great fit with Deebo and Hurd. Would be an amazing group of weapons... deebo, kittle, juedy/lamb... ohhh man that would be incredible

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, N4L said:

the thing about our FO is that we have done some unexpected things in the past. We have made moves that felt way out of left field but somehow worked out. McGlinchy is one in particular. NO ONE saw us taking a T. no one saw us trading buck. 

I read something about the Dee Ford trade that was interesting. It said that we made the trade for ford knowing that bosa was going to be our pick. we decided that bosa and ford were a good pairing of ends because they have different styles, which is true. We saw the draft board and had the awareness to make one move that tied in with another move. 

We clearly have a plan for #13. We wouldnt have made the trade without knowing what we were going to do with it. The buckner trade wasnt "we think its good value and will get a good player" No. It was "we are going to do A, B, or C with it depending on these other factors". Obviously there are contingency plans, but they have a really good idea of who they want there. There is definitely a 'plan A' already set in place. 

I just have a hard time believing that we are going to WR at 13. Kyle does fall in love with guys though, so it wouldnt surprise me that much. Smart money says draft one of the guys that falls to #31 or to develop later on. It would be good value based on how much talent is at the position this year. Tee Higgins, Jefferson, Mimms. Any three of those guys at 31 would be great value. None of them are the types of players that are usually available that late. That would be a good use of resources.

This offense is hard to learn for WRs because of all of the slight variations in how routes are supposed to be run. So, I would be fine with drafting someone in the 4th or 5th with good physical traits that we can mold. Someone that normally wouldnt have fallen but was overshadowed at WR this year due to the deep class. Someone that wes welker can coach up. that would maximize the draft capital that we have. I wouldnt expect a lot year 1 for this player but we DO have other guys in this spot, we just dont have anyone elite (yet). 

Hopefully Hurd can be healthy. Hopefully Pettis grows a pair. Hopefully trent taylor comes back. He and Jimmy were deadly on third down. Hurd especially would add some size we dont have at the position. 

As @J-ALL-DAY said the other day, we have spent A LOT of capital on WRs the last few years. We did do the same thing with DL, and the last guy we drafted was the best one we drafted, so I dont want the sunk cost of other resources spent at WR to change how we approach this pick. IF we believe there is a WR at #13 that would potentially draw double coverage and open up everything else, I have no issue drafting them in that spot. Jeudy really seems like that guy, but no chance he makes it past the raiders. Hard to trade up given where we are, so he doesnt seem likely. Holy **** that guy is a good route runner. He has the deep speed that would be a great fit with Deebo and Hurd. Would be an amazing group of weapons... deebo, kittle, juedy/lamb... ohhh man that would be incredible

Good points all around and why I think it's a tackle they want. They value the position highly and think (probably rightly) that it's really hard to get dudes there that can set the tone on the edge in the running game and be plus pass protectors. Staley is going to retire. The position is hard to find outside of draft positions we should rarely find ourselves in. We have to save money at premium positions in order to open value elsewhere. Nick Bosa does that. McGlinchey does that for a bit. The front loaded Jimmy G contract does that. A tackle or corner probably does that most for us given the roster construction. And this is the best top 15 picks to be hunting a tackle in recent memory. If the guy can play guard brilliantly in the meantime, it's even better, because it turns Person's spot from a liability into a strength. 

I'd jump on the wide outs, but I can follow the line of thought. Unless it's another line of thought. XP

• Like 4

@JIllg excellent point.that was something I noticed when looking at mock drafts in the past few days. I wasn't paying much attention to the top 10 before but there does seem to be a few options there at T 

Would be a good trade from a positional standpoint, trading a DT for an OT makes sense. 

Shhh don't tell anyone we figured it out 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

tenor.gif?ctx=share

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Yeah, I think any of those top three WRs at 13 would be nice but like you stated, how does Kyle feel about them? He said that even with Deebo he wasn't sure but the extended time they had with him at the Senior bowl helped. My belief is that both picks gets traded. We could move from 13 to reload a couple more picks. 31 MIGHT be intriguing to someone like NO(they need an heir to Brees and really I don't think its Hill) as I said in the other thread, I wouldn't mind 31 for Rankins. He is on the last year of his rookie contract but he'll def come cheaper than Defo. However, it depends on what they see as more important. a rookie WR? trading for a veteran WR?(Green, Godwin, OBJ) Are they really going to go into the 2020 season with a rotation at DTs?(Jones, Solly, Taylor) which I hope isn't the case.

11 hours ago, N4L said:

McGlinchy was known about a week or two before the draft that year. Everyone here basically plugged their ears on it (me included) saying no, no, no we don't need a tackle but Peter King mocked him to us several days before the draft as well as several other writers. I actually agree that 13 could be another tackle though.

20 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

McGlinchy was known about a week or two before the draft that year. Everyone here basically plugged their ears on it (me included) saying no, no, no we don't need a tackle but Peter King mocked him to us several days before the draft as well as several other writers. I actually agree that 13 could be another tackle though.

the bolded is exactly my point. No one thought we needed a T, because we didnt (for that season). Brown was a good player but the fit was for sure questionable and he was in a contract year. 

my point was just that this FO has had a different approach than what is considered 'conventional wisdom' around here. Just because our pick got leaked a week before the draft doesnt mean it wasnt a surprise for mostly everyoneThey have certainly thrown us a few curveballs over the past few years. I mean, we took a freaking punter in the 4th round last year when we were 4-12 the year before. That just doesnt happen.  

Side note: Kinda funny how we were in front of the raiders the last two years. We won that coin flip, and that got us McG (raiders took kolton miller who is a huge bust with the next pick, they 100% would have taken McG if he was there). Then last year we picked 2 spots ahead of them despite the fact that we C R U S H E D them on national TV, and that got us bosa. This year we are picking 31 and they are #12, and we make a trade to be #13 lol they may end up taking the player that we want, we probably will never know. 

24 minutes ago, N4L said:

the bolded is exactly my point. No one thought we needed a T, because we didnt (for that season). Brown was a good player but the fit was for sure questionable and he was in a contract year. 

my point was just that this FO has had a different approach than what is considered 'conventional wisdom' around here. Just because our pick got leaked a week before the draft doesnt mean it wasnt a surprise for mostly everyoneThey have certainly thrown us a few curveballs over the past few years. I mean, we took a freaking punter in the 4th round last year when we were 4-12 the year before. That just doesnt happen.  

Side note: Kinda funny how we were in front of the raiders the last two years. We won that coin flip, and that got us McG (raiders took kolton miller who is a huge bust with the next pick, they 100% would have taken McG if he was there). Then last year we picked 2 spots ahead of them despite the fact that we C R U S H E D them on national TV, and that got us bosa. This year we are picking 31 and they are #12, and we make a trade to be #13 lol they may end up taking the player that we want, we probably will never know. 

Lol, very true... I'm kinda 60/40 atm that I think we go tackle with the pick the other being receiver and I would wonder if that is the case if it is Lamb.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Lol, very true... I'm kinda 60/40 atm that I think we go tackle with the pick the other being receiver and I would wonder if that is the case if it is Lamb.

If we take a WR that high, I really want it to be Lamb. Makes something out of nothing so often. Golden hands and feet, in my opinion.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If we take a WR that high, I really want it to be Lamb. Makes something out of nothing so often. Golden hands and feet, in my opinion.

Lamb is my favorite in this draft, but Jeudy would be a fantastic option if the Raiders take Lamb. Jeudy has legit #1 superstar potential as well and his route running is bonkers, which is one reason I think Shanny will fall in love with him. I do like Ruggs and think he's getting a little disrespected by some as being purely a speed guy, but I do think there is a gap between Lamb/Jeudy and Ruggs. I have a hard time with saying Lamb is above Jeudy as well, they are just different players and comes down to what you are looking for. For me it's 1a. Lamb 1.b Jeudy and 3. Ruggs. 

• Like 1