Tom Brady Announces He's Leaving New England

ramssuperbowl99

42 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I'm not wrong about the REASON he's leaving. But it certainly looks like it won't be any of the teams that, in my mind, made the most sense. Assuming it ends up being the Bucs, anyways.

At season's end, I didn't think it would be Tenn or Indy. I thought Vegas was possible but not probable. I just thought Brady would have preferred to be in L.A., NYC, or Miami.

Your point was Brady has been telling of the last few years that he wasn't going to come back. I'm making the point that there was never a realistic market for him outside of NE, and he assumed (and desired) the same. But Belichick and Kraft pulled the rug off from underneath him.

When you look at how the QB market shaped out from the start of Free Agency, the fact that he didn't write his post until the 48th hour into Free Agency, and the tone of his message (along with the reports the Patriots didn't even make an offer) - it all equals the fact that this divorce was Belichick/Kraft's decision, and most of the league shares the same sentiment about Brady at this point about what he can provide as a player given who he may have to settle for..

Edited by Nex_Gen

8 minutes ago, Starless said:

The fact that Kraft didn't step in and intervene to keep Brady in town does carry more than a whiff of Brady having done something to fall out of favor with the team over the past 18 months. I think the turning point was the Antonio Brown situation. Brady clearly wanted them to keep Brown, even after it was clear that the guy was the PR equivalent of raw sewage. That absolutely would've gone over poorly with ownership if Brady was really strident about it inside the facility. 

That's a good observation.  I didn't think of it like that.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

That's a good observation.  I didn't think of it like that.

I think there were a lot of factors that led to this point but the fact that Kraft sided with Belichick on this matter was such a huge shift from what we saw just a couple of years ago when the Garoppolo trade happened that there had to have been something Brady did that caused a big rift with Kraft as well. 

Just now, Starless said:

I think there were a lot of factors that led to this point but the fact that Kraft sided with Belichick on this matter was such a huge shift from what we saw just a couple of years ago when the Garoppolo trade happened that there had to have been something Brady did that caused a big rift with Kraft as well. 

That makes a lot of sense.  Then, when Brown was off the team, he pretty much burned his bridge with Kraft and the Patriots.  If Brady continued to support Brown, that could have been seen as a type of betrayal by Kraft.  Maybe what I just said was way off base.

6 minutes ago, Starless said:

The fact that Kraft didn't step in and intervene to keep Brady in town does carry more than a whiff of Brady having done something to fall out of favor with the team over the past 18 months. I think the turning point was the Antonio Brown situation. Brady clearly wanted them to keep Brown, even after it was clear that the guy was the PR equivalent of raw sewage. That absolutely would've gone over poorly with ownership if Brady was really strident about it inside the facility. 

I think the AB situation was part of it, definitely. Not specifically because of AB the person, but because Brady went out of his way to welcome him, he worked with him, obviously loved playing with him, and then they cut him (maybe without telling Tom, or asking his opinion?). Whatever the details, the team chemistry was totally shot after that, the offense never recovered and the team limped along.

Brady put up with a lot of skimping on weapons, and I think the AB situation just drew it to a head. Especially given the hypocrisy of Kraft cutting someone over off-the-field issues when Kraft himself just had a scandal.

The offensive weapons put together for Brady's possible last season were a joke, and BB's GMing was the worst we've seen from him in a while. From Bennett, to Watson, to Sanu to Thomas to the total lack of addressing the TE position.

51 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I think the AB situation was part of it, definitely. Not specifically because of AB the person, but because Brady went out of his way to welcome him, he worked with him, obviously loved playing with him, and then they cut him (maybe without telling Tom, or asking his opinion?). Whatever the details, the team chemistry was totally shot after that, the offense never recovered and the team limped along.

Brady put up with a lot of skimping on weapons, and I think the AB situation just drew it to a head. Especially given the hypocrisy of Kraft cutting someone over off-the-field issues when Kraft himself just had a scandal.

The offensive weapons put together for Brady's possible last season were a joke, and BB's GMing was the worst we've seen from him in a while. From Bennett, to Watson, to Sanu to Thomas to the total lack of addressing the TE position.

This isn't high school drama. If you looked at this roster after Week 2 and didn't think this team was going to obliterate the league 2007 style, you were lying to yourself. Gordon and AB played their way off the team (and out of the league for that matter), and the Patriots just had terrible luck with how the offensive weapons somewhat completely dissipated into thin air (Edelman injury, Gronk retirement, trading Demaryius after they thought they didn't need him anymore, Harry's injury, Michel turning into a toad, the offensive line being hit by injuries and becoming a sieve etc...).

It's not completely Brady's fault, but I think they saw enough drop off in him, and the fact that he couldn't carry his supporting cast along with finding a way to adapt/play with them anymore, to decide it was time to move on. This team operates on winning football games and what they think is best for the team, and this is no different.

Edited by Nex_Gen

I'm old enough to remember a time before either Brady or Belichick was in New England, but it's been a while. There are football fans all over the country who have grown up, graduated, and had kids with Tom Brady as the Patriots' franchise QB. It's pretty incredible when you think about it.

I've been a fan of him ever since that Cinderella 2001 season. Can't wait to see which team he signs with. Tennessee was easily the best option for him, but Tanny's new deal takes them out of the running, so I have to predict Tampa Bay. Seeing him go to an NFC team will be even more surreal. As long as it's not in the Vikings' division I'll continue to support him.

If it is Tampa Bay, those new uniforms better be damn good.

7 hours ago, SBLIII said:

he will try to win games as does every coach. Thing is he might not be able to. Also I don't see how anyone can say with a straight face that NE won't have one of the worst rosters in the league.

I've heard, for TWENTY YEARS, about how BB is the best HC of all time.

This team, as constructed is far from "worst roster in the league". Weren't Pat's fans just bragging about having the "boogeyman" defense starting "the best cb in the league"?

On D they lost van noy and collins... two exceedingly mediocre players. Is that really the difference between what patriots fans were calling the greatest defense of all time and one of the worst in the league?

If Bill finishes with a bottom 10 record with this team he is severely overrated.

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

Your point was Brady has been telling of the last few years that he wasn't going to come back. I'm making the point that there was never a realistic market for him outside of NE, and he assumed (and desired) the same. But Belichick and Kraft pulled the rug off from underneath him.

When you look at how the QB market shaped out from the start of Free Agency, the fact that he didn't write his post until the 48th hour into Free Agency, and the tone of his message (along with the reports the Patriots didn't even make an offer) - it all equals the fact that this divorce was Belichick/Kraft's decision, and most of the league shares the same sentiment about Brady at this point about what he can provide as a player given who he may have to settle for..

I think deep down, Brady WANTED to remain a Patriot, but what he was looking for, Belichick wasn't willing to give. So, in many ways it was kind of mutual. Each side would have been okay keeping things together, as long as it was on their respective terms. When this has happened in the past, Brady had routinely capitulated. This time he didn't.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I think you're partially right, but I also think it was an intelligent calculation by Kraft: In the past, he's stepped into football affairs on Brady's side (trading Garoppolo, not trading Gronk). I think he knew that if he did it again, he would probably permanently fray his relationship with Belichick (weird how a few months ago there was a brief round of "rumors" that Belichick may be willing/looking to coach elsewhere). So, if he had to lose one, Kraft decided to stick with the guy who's running the football operation and has 5+ more years left, rather than the QB who MIGHT have 2 years left.

Brady's incessant Instagram love affair with that used condom Antonio Brown certainly did NOT help ingratiate himself with Kraft.

34 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I've heard, for TWENTY YEARS, about how BB is the best HC of all time.

This team, as constructed is far from "worst roster in the league". Weren't Pat's fans just bragging about having the "boogeyman" defense starting "the best cb in the league"?

On D they lost van noy and collins... two exceedingly mediocre players. Is that really the difference between what patriots fans were calling the greatest defense of all time and one of the worst in the league?

If Bill finishes with a bottom 10 record with this team he is severely overrated.

the defense was designed to play with a lead. That is much less likely to happen with what becomes a bottom 10 offense with no clear offensive star. The defense will have to adapt in a big way. We also started the best defensive player overall in the league last year at CB, check the hardware. They were exposed by Henry because they werent meant to stop the run consistently because teams would be passing to keep up with Brady. The entire dynamic changes and the adjustment needs to be made. They still have a ton of talent on that side of the ball but expecting the same results is a pretty myopic view.

1 hour ago, Starless said:

I think Kraft cashed in his only 'override' of Bill when he forced the Jimmy G trade. Bill might have told him 'if you ever interfere with football operations again, I will leave'. Its pretty plausible. I don't think Bill likes being overruled and probably wouldn't want it to happen more than once. 

So its probably less of Kraft and Brady not getting along, or Brady doing something that Kraft didn't like, as much as Kraft knowing Bill will write a note on a napkin telling him he is quitting (lol) if he does that again

• Like 1