Phillip Rivers signs with Colts - 1 year, 25M

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fair, but odd they were in talks with JAX til the end if they thought Rivers was clearly the superior option all along and Foles would cost draft compensation.

They were and props to you for calling that before the news came out. A lot of people were calling out all kind of names but Foles wasn't really one brought up that much. It's possible it was a coin flip in their head and the draft pick plus the getting Rivers to only sign for one year probably pushed it over the edge for him. I don't think enough is being made about how much of a win that really is. A one year deal for a qb of his stature(who may be completely done) is huge. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fair, but odd they were in talks with JAX til the end if they thought Rivers was clearly the superior option all along and Foles would cost draft compensation.

There was a report per Ian Rapoport that Rivers asking price was too high for the Colts. So I think the Colts were leveraging Foles and/or giving Rivers time to gauge the market for his value

• Like 1

A few benefits Rivers is going to have on this Colts team Great OL, good run game (top 5 in rushing). If they get a few more weapons on Offense via FA and draft this is going to be a balanced team overall. One more thing he plays 11/16 games inside this year that big for a QB that’s getting up there in age.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

A few benefits Rivers is going to have on this Colts team Great OL, good run game (top 5 in rushing). If they get a few more weapons on Offense via FA and draft this is going to be a balanced team overall. One more thing he plays 11/16 games inside this year that big for a QB that’s getting up there in age.

I hope they can catch ducks.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Meant to say last year. He was good in 2018.

Regardless, he's had a ton of talent to work with in his time there. In Indy it's going to be a step down as far as talent around him (although a better OL). Now, he's going to a be a year older after a not so great 2019 at an already old age.

You're literally continuing to hold onto him being a HOF caliber QB/what he did in the past and acting like being 38 will have zero impact. 

As I said, hopefully he has a resurgence for your purposes/what you're saying (I hope he doesn't). But having a down year, at his age, also can say maybe the end of the road is closing in. Acting like it's crazy talk/making what I'm saying out to be a career comparison between Foles/Rivers is off base.

I wont be the only Charger fan to tell you this. All Rivers needs is a good oline. Give him a good oline and he should be a beast. He doesnt need great skill position players. Indy has atleast a top 5 oline and if their running game is consistent... i wont be shocked if come Nov, in the comparison threads on this forum, in the top 10 qb list.. Rivers is listed around top 3 to 5.  His 2019 play was down because he had 0 confidence in his oline and was rushing and forcing throws. If Indy's oline protects him, even at 38 he will carve up defenses. I'm a Chargers fan, Rivers isnt a Charger. So I'm not being a homer. His 2019 was frustrating and he cost a very very good team a chance at the playoffs (1st year of his career i can say RIVERS cost the Chargers a great season) but as someone who watched him, i know why he struggled. It was oline and a very very inconsistent running game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bearerofnews said:

I wont be the only Charger fan to tell you this. All Rivers needs is a good oline. Give him a good oline and he should be a beast. He doesnt need great skill position players. Indy has atleast a top 5 oline and if their running game is consistent... i wont be shocked if come Nov, in the comparison threads on this forum, in the top 10 qb list.. Rivers is listed around top 3 to 5.  His 2019 play was down because he had 0 confidence in his oline and was rushing and forcing throws. If Indy's oline protects him, even at 38 he will carve up defenses. I'm a Chargers fan, Rivers isnt a Charger. So I'm not being a homer. His 2019 was frustrating and he cost a very very good team a chance at the playoffs (1st year of his career i can say RIVERS cost the Chargers a great season) but as someone who watched him, i know why he struggled. It was oline and a very very inconsistent running game.

After what just occurred...I'm happy Indy went with Rivers.

5 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Rivers better throw the ball now to try to get it to Hilton with that wet noodle arm. Maybe he'll go Danny White and punt it

Had no problem throwing it to Benjamin last year. Guy just couldn't catch.