Vikings Mock Drafts

The Gnat

Freaking mock computer simulators, did The Draft Network one.  What a bunch of crap.

First one was pretty standard but kind of crazy Austin Jackson would drop to the 2nd, much less John Simpson to the bottom of the 3rd.  And Runyan being there in the 7th or Jordan Elliott in the 5th.  Nothing amazing though but decent.

22 AJ Epenesa DE
25 Jeff Gladney CB
58 Austin Jackson OT
89 Lynn Bowden WR
105 John Simpson OG
132 Antonio Gandy-Golden WR
155 Jordan Elliott DT
201 Tanner Muse OLB/S
205 AJ Green CB
219 Jon Runyan OT/OG
249 Robert Windsor DT
253 Dele Harding LB

But most ridiculous was the 2nd attempt, Tua dropping, Joe Burrow being the #12 pick and Isaiah Simmons being the #1 pick.  Not to mention Wills dropping to the Vikings 1st round.  Then stealing Uche in the 2nd who could be a Griffen clone with his effort and athletic ability.  Getting great value at OL with guys who could play OT or OG in Driscoll and Throckmorton.  Not to mention James Lynch in the 6th round when I think he has 1st or 2nd round potential.  Yeah computers freaking suck man but would be great for the Vikings and they would cut Cousins after this season or in two years.

22 Tua Tagovailoa QB
25 Jedrick Wills OT
58 Josh Uche DE/OLB
89 Brandon Aiyuk WR
105 Amik Robertson CB
132 Jack Driscoll OT/OG
155 Myles Bryant CB
201 James Lynch DT/DE
205 Binjimen Victor WR
219 Calvin Throckmorton OT/OG
249 TJ Brunson LB
253 Jalen Elliott S

Yeah I should stick to doing real human being selections like normal.

Edited by Ozzy

Here's my attempt: By the time 22 and 25 came around there were no CBs or OTs I felt were worth the pick so I traded back with both picks. I know this is probably unrealistic but I was proud of myself for a first attempt. 

Traded 22 to the Colts for 34, 75 and 122

Traded  25 to the Dolphins for 39 and 56

34. Erza Cleveland, OT Boise State

39. Jaylon Johnson, CB Utah

56. Justin Madubuike, DT Texas A&M

58. Tee Higgins, WR Clemson

75. Jalen Hurts, QB Oklahoma

89. Khalid Kareem, DE Notre Dame

105. Chase Claypool WR, Notre Dame

122. Brandon Jones S, Texas

132. Bryce Hall, CB UVA

155. Cordel Iwauagwa, G TCU

201. Benito Jones, DT Ole Miss

205. Trey Adams, OT Washington

219. Julian Blackmon, CB Utah

249. Bryce Huff, OLB Memphis

253. Daniel Thomas, S Auburn 

Edited by AWinfield26
  • Like 3

Vikings trade #22 + #105 for #34 & #44MIN 25.
Austin Jackson
OT USC

MIN 34.
A.J. Terrell
CB Clemson
trade icon
MIN 44.
Tee Higgins
WR Clemson
trade icon
MIN 58.
Matt Hennessy
C Temple

MIN 89.
Darnay Holmes
CB UCLA

MIN 132.
Davon Hamilton
DT Ohio State

pfn-mock-logo-black.png
Vikings get their starting LT (Jackson), CB (Terrell) and WR2 (Higgins)here. They also get a potential starting LG (Hennessy) and Slot CB\Returner (Holmes). With a backup NT in (Hamilton) who can do some dirty work.
Edited by CriminalMind

19 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Austin Jackson is not ready to start at left tackle immediately unfortunately. The dude is gifted with a lot of LT physical traits, but incredibly raw with technique and strength. 

Not sure if this is directed at me, but both Jackson OT and Jones OT where available at 25, in this particular mock

15 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Not sure if this is directed at me, but both Jackson OT and Jones OT where available at 25, in this particular mock

If your plan is to draft a LT and move reiff to LG in year 1, I would draft josh Jones. If you’re plan is to keep reiff at LT, find another solution for guard, I’d draft Jackson knowing you’ll have to sit him at least year 1 before he can be productive....or else you’re gunna have a bad time. 

Edited by battle2heaven

48 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

If your plan is to draft a LT and move reiff to LG in year 1, I would draft josh Jones. If you’re plan is to keep reiff at LT, find another solution for guard, I’d draft Jackson knowing you’ll have to sit him at least year 1 before he can be productive....or else you’re gunna have a bad time. 

Jackson has the better athletic scores and has better technique. Jones i think it going to have difficulties vs pure bull rush. I believe Jackson is younger as well. Jackson will eventually be a starting LT, whether it's day 1 or later.

I think he could start day 1 on either side (if they want to move BO to LT, coupled with releasing Reiff). In this mock I added Hennessey who could develop into the starting LG. (BO\Hennessey\Bradbury\Sam\Jackson) or switch the tackles after one season, if they don't want a rookie left side in 1st season

Edited by CriminalMind

33 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Jackson has the better athletic scores and has better technique. Jones i think it going to have difficulties vs pure bull rush. I believe Jackson is younger as well. Jackson will eventually be a starting LT, whether it's day 1 or later.

I think he could start day 1 on either side (if they want to move BO to LT, coupled with releasing Reiff). In this mock I added Hennessey who could develop into the starting LG. (BO\Hennessey\Bradbury\Sam\Jackson) or switch the tackles after one season, if they don't want a rookie left side in 1st season

I just love how much and how effectively Jones plays in space in the run and screen game. He did that consistently in college and was fun to watch in those situations.

52 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I just love how much and how effectively Jones plays in space in the run and screen game. He did that consistently in college and was fun to watch in those situations.

While I do see that with Jones, that could be partly due to the offense not snapping the ball under center and being in constant shot gun (DL react differently to that formation). I rather someone who has a better blend of both under center and shot gun.

I also prefer the stay at home (bulk) OT (while sacrifing pull\run ability), as opposed to a pull\run OT (while sacrificing gerth and power). ... On 3rd and long (and RZ), the stay at home power OT should do better, since your less likely to be running the ball to take especial adv of LT pull blocks capability.

My best OT attributes in order (reasonableness): 1) weight, 2) "power" (bench press #), 3) "technique", 4) quick feet (10 yard split), 5) arm length, 6) arm size, 7) pulling ability (40 yard time), 8) height

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1