Saints trade Stephone Anthony to Dolphins for a 5th

Dome

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Was it just a scheme fit in NO? Didn't he have areally promising rookie season a couple of years ago?

It's probably more of a "The saints defensive coaching is garbage" thing more than anything. Scheme fit as well.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Was it just a scheme fit in NO? Didn't he have areally promising rookie season a couple of years ago?

Combination of our horrible defensive coaching staff and Anthony not really progressing.  Should be able to turn it around in Miami.

So, I'm just getting up to speed with this Lawrence Timmons thing. Someone said "He didn't show up," and I assumed it was a figurative statement - but this was literal, dude simply did not go to the game at all.

That's really weird. Couldn't he have done this sometime in TC?

My thoughts from the Miami forum:

Dolphins had Anthony in for a pre-draft visit in March 2015. Now-GM Chris Grier was on the college scouting staff back then.

Also, Gase's father-in-law Joe Vitt was the asst. HC and LB coach for the Saints in 2015 and 2016 (he is now 63 and out of football). You know Gase picked his brain.

Anthony's (6'3" 236lbs) physical tools are outstanding, percentile scores among ILBs:
20 yard shuttle 95th percentile
broad jump 93rd percentile
vertical jump 88th percentile
40 yard dash (4.53) 94th percentile
10 yard shuttle 90th percentile

Supposedly he didn't pan out in NO due to mental processing type stuff, reading a defense & reacting, etc. Started every game as a rookie but play time dropped sharply last year.

He'll be under contract two more years, $1.1m in 2017 and $1.1m in 2018.

I figure he'll be competing with Chase Allen for snaps as the SOLB.

Was a beast for Clemson and thought he'd be a better pro. Maybe its the coaching there because even Kenny Vaccaro is having issues there after a good season last year. Good move by the Dolphins as they continue to strengthen their front 7. In a 3-4, Anthony won't be exposed to play in space as much so I think he will turn it around in Miami.

10 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Good deal for Miami. At worst you have a mediocre starter with a ton of upside for a 5th. Plus an option year on his contrat after next year. Great value out for a 5th.

It's indeed a good deal for Miami, but I wouldn't say he's at worst a mediocre starter. At worst he never plays because he can't read defenses for the life of him. He has a lot more wiggle room than just mediocre.

It's a good deal because of the potential though, I agree. 

Archived