Saints trade Stephone Anthony to Dolphins for a 5th

Dome

Anthony had a great rookie year. He led the team in tackles and had some big splash plays (pick 6, big hits, fumbles, etc). With that said, he didn't do a great job as the QB of our defense and was out of position quite a bit in coverage. Its no surprise that was the year we let up the most passing yards in NFL history. We tried moving him to SLB last year to take off some of the responsibilities of making the calls and adjustments. He wasn't very good there. He can be a great ILB with better coaching,

2 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

It's indeed a good deal for Miami, but I wouldn't say he's at worst a mediocre starter. At worst he never plays because he can't read defenses for the life of him.

I think the most realistic option for him is taking the 12 - 15 snaps per game at the SAM spot, currently occupied by UDFA Chase Allen.

4 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

I was kind of annoyed the Saints drafted Anthony since I liked him coming out. I have a feeling he could work out well for Miami. I don't think you can have a rookie season that he had if you're absolutely unable to read defences. 

What happens is Saints defenders still remember their college coaching their rookie year and by their 2nd they're completely overcome by the Saints coaching.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

What happens is Saints defenders still remember their college coaching their rookie year and by their 2nd they're completely overcome by the Saints coaching.

We've seen plenty of examples of this. Anthony wouldn't shock me.

When a team has defensive failure after defensive failure, eventually one has to look at the brass.

Since Sean Payton arrived in 2006 (10 full seasons ago) he has had 5 defensive coordinators. 

I think it's fair to assume that we don't draft ALL bad defenders, and ALL bad defensive coordinators.

BTW, Rob Ryan did a great job with Anthony. The minute Ryan left, Anthony kinda left too.

Archived