Jump to content
WindyCity

Bears sign OLB Robert Quinn 5 years 70 million

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Remember the hit he put on Eric Hipple from the Lions.  I thought he'd killed the guy.

He's was a killer OLB and yet Mikey McCaskey let him walk away in FA.  He virtually destroyed that team.

The Lions were not fans of Marshall.  I think he ended two of their QBs. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 2:20 PM, soulman said:

He's was a killer OLB and yet Mikey McCaskey let him walk away in FA.  He virtually destroyed that team.

Let's not dabble in revisionist history. 

That decision was Ditka, pure and simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Let's not dabble in revisionist history. 

That decision was Ditka, pure and simple. 

I don't believe that.  McCaskey wouldn't spend to keep that team together and once he fired Jerry Vainisi it was a clown show at Halas Hall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, soulman said:

I don't believe that.  McCaskey wouldn't spend to keep that team together and once he fired Jerry Vainisi it was a clown show at Halas Hall.

Ditka had issues with Marshall. It was well known at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Ditka had issues with Marshall. It was well known at the time. 

In what way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be honest here, as much as everyone loves Ditka he was more of a reason why that team broke up than McCaskey.  After the Superbowl season Ditka wanted more control of the team and personnel.  Bill Tobin was basically Ditka's yes man and Ditka had control over free agent signings and the draft.  Ditka controlled football operations until he was fired and that's why McCaskey was so inept hiring his replacement.  He didn't have a GM to fall back on and stupidly tried to do everything himself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will still say that it was the firing of GM Jerry Vainisi who along with Jim Finks helped to build that team that was a huge difference maker.

Even Ditka was upset by that and pissed Mikey off when he commented about it on a late night talk show and bad mouthed McCaskey.  Bill Tobin was essentially a super scout and personnel guy.  After Vainisi was let go Mikey became the defacto GM not Bill Tobin.  Ditka was never the brightest personnel guy on the planet but it was McCaskey's penurious management that did a whole lot of damage.

It wasn't until after Ginny finally fired him and replaced him with Ted Phillips as team President and they hired Jerry Angelo that we had a true GM running the player personnel stuff and hiring coaches.  From that point on the purse strings were loosened and the Bears began to lose their reputation as one of the cheapest organizations in the NFL.  Look back at McCaskey management in the late '80s and the '90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember back then and unfortunately there was enough blame to go around. I feel like Ditka and Michael hand in hand blew up a dynasty Finks and Vanisi built

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditka's stint in New Orleans didn't do much for his legacy.   The Ricky Williams trade has to be one of top 3 worst in NFL history.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So apparently Quinn was deciding between the bears and falcons.  He couldn’t decide, so he flipped a coin.  That’s how he became a bear lol.

 

Dont feel like lookin for the tweet now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2020 at 3:47 AM, soulman said:

In what way.

We never knew. We just knew there was a lot of friction there. And there was a sort of sense among the football media Marshall felt he was a bigger factor in the defense's success than Ditka did. True, or not, we'll probably never know. 

On 3/30/2020 at 8:23 AM, GBHalas said:

Let's be honest here, as much as everyone loves Ditka he was more of a reason why that team broke up than McCaskey.  After the Superbowl season Ditka wanted more control of the team and personnel.  Bill Tobin was basically Ditka's yes man and Ditka had control over free agent signings and the draft.  Ditka controlled football operations until he was fired and that's why McCaskey was so inept hiring his replacement.  He didn't have a GM to fall back on and stupidly tried to do everything himself.

I don't love Ditka. He was, and probably will be until the end of time, ridiculously overrated. In truth, he was a knucklehead who kept his team from becoming a dynasty. I was on the "fire Ditka" train years before he was actually let go.  

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

So apparently Quinn was deciding between the bears and falcons.  He couldn’t decide, so he flipped a coin.  That’s how he became a bear lol.

 

Dont feel like lookin for the tweet now.

It was a figure of speech. He didn't actually flip a coin.

 

Edited by beardown3231

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...