Bears sign OLB Robert Quinn 5 years 70 million

WindyCity

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Remember the hit he put on Eric Hipple from the Lions.  I thought he'd killed the guy.

He's was a killer OLB and yet Mikey McCaskey let him walk away in FA.  He virtually destroyed that team.

The Lions were not fans of Marshall.  I think he ended two of their QBs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Let's not dabble in revisionist history. 

That decision was Ditka, pure and simple. 

I don't believe that.  McCaskey wouldn't spend to keep that team together and once he fired Jerry Vainisi it was a clown show at Halas Hall.

Let's be honest here, as much as everyone loves Ditka he was more of a reason why that team broke up than McCaskey.  After the Superbowl season Ditka wanted more control of the team and personnel.  Bill Tobin was basically Ditka's yes man and Ditka had control over free agent signings and the draft.  Ditka controlled football operations until he was fired and that's why McCaskey was so inept hiring his replacement.  He didn't have a GM to fall back on and stupidly tried to do everything himself.

• Like 2

I will still say that it was the firing of GM Jerry Vainisi who along with Jim Finks helped to build that team that was a huge difference maker.

Even Ditka was upset by that and pissed Mikey off when he commented about it on a late night talk show and bad mouthed McCaskey.  Bill Tobin was essentially a super scout and personnel guy.  After Vainisi was let go Mikey became the defacto GM not Bill Tobin.  Ditka was never the brightest personnel guy on the planet but it was McCaskey's penurious management that did a whole lot of damage.

It wasn't until after Ginny finally fired him and replaced him with Ted Phillips as team President and they hired Jerry Angelo that we had a true GM running the player personnel stuff and hiring coaches.  From that point on the purse strings were loosened and the Bears began to lose their reputation as one of the cheapest organizations in the NFL.  Look back at McCaskey management in the late '80s and the '90s.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:47 AM, soulman said:

In what way.

We never knew. We just knew there was a lot of friction there. And there was a sort of sense among the football media Marshall felt he was a bigger factor in the defense's success than Ditka did. True, or not, we'll probably never know. 

On 3/30/2020 at 8:23 AM, GBHalas said:

Let's be honest here, as much as everyone loves Ditka he was more of a reason why that team broke up than McCaskey.  After the Superbowl season Ditka wanted more control of the team and personnel.  Bill Tobin was basically Ditka's yes man and Ditka had control over free agent signings and the draft.  Ditka controlled football operations until he was fired and that's why McCaskey was so inept hiring his replacement.  He didn't have a GM to fall back on and stupidly tried to do everything himself.

I don't love Ditka. He was, and probably will be until the end of time, ridiculously overrated. In truth, he was a knucklehead who kept his team from becoming a dynasty. I was on the "fire Ditka" train years before he was actually let go.  

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CBears019 said:

So apparently Quinn was deciding between the bears and falcons.  He couldn’t decide, so he flipped a coin.  That’s how he became a bear lol.

Dont feel like lookin for the tweet now.

It was a figure of speech. He didn't actually flip a coin.

Edited by beardown3231