Panthers signing QB Teddy Bridgewater (3 years, $60 M)

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Serious question. If Teddy never suffers that catastrophic injury and has the feel good story of returning from it. Would he still be this Overrated by the masses? 

I just don't get the hype, never have!

He's basically Mariota at that point. The silver lining to his injury is that it reset the "are we sure Teddy is good" debate into "rising star tragically struck down by injury." I was a big fan of Bridgewater coming out of the draft but I agree that nothing stands out to me at the pro level. Both Teddy and Marcus are A+ dudes so they also get a bigger leash because no one wants to criticize those players. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong on both (I'm always rooting for more good QBs, not fewer) but both seem like career backup types.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:19 PM, Gmen said:

Consider me unimpressed by Teddy.  Part of it was the offense, but the next gen stats are not kind to him. They tell the story of a dink and dunk game manager type.  Not a crazy contract though.  I expect the Panthers will be in the QB hunt in next year's draft.  Maybe even in this one.

I'm with you. I don't understand this one at all. That was a 13-3 caliber team in every respect, one that normally would be a #1 seed let alone fall out of a bye completely. It's kind of the opposite of the Foles situation in that the 2019 fit served to boost Bridgewater's stock too high. If you get into one of those typical NFL games these days with traded touchdowns and requiring 30+ points at the end I don't know how you have any hopes with Teddy Bridgewater and his swing pass reliance. The stats were not good last season and they basically have not been good throughout his career, other than above norm for a rookie. 

I've always loved Teddy Bridgewater the person. No surprise at how popular he was in New Orleans. My fellow Miami Hurricanes fan base was absolutely criminal in how it attacked Bridgewater while he was still in high school at Miami Northwestern. This was when Jacory Harris was flopping late in his career with the Canes, after a big start to his collegiate career. Jacory was also from Miami Northwestern. It became a case of sloppy comparison and outright vile. Bridgewater was a  prized early Hurricanes commitment. But then he switched to Louisville once Randy Shannon was fired as Canes coach but primarily because of the online hostility from Miami fans who savaged him repeatedly as nothing but a Jacory Harris clone. Canes fans within the stadium are a great atmosphere and far above the national reputation, but no question the online group is low class and still in denial that the glory years are gone and likely never coming back.

3 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

He's basically Mariota at that point. The silver lining to his injury is that it reset the "are we sure Teddy is good" debate into "rising star tragically struck down by injury." I was a big fan of Bridgewater coming out of the draft but I agree that nothing stands out to me at the pro level. Both Teddy and Marcus are A+ dudes so they also get a bigger leash because no one wants to criticize those players. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong on both (I'm always rooting for more good QBs, not fewer) but both seem like career backup types.

To be fair to Teddy, he was a bad fit for a Norv Turner offense in the first place. He needed to be in more of a WCO where he could utilize his mental acumen more.

• Like 3

Contract isn’t bad, but I just don’t understand this love for Bridgewater... he’s done absolutely nothing to warrant this cult following that he seems to have... 

it’s also amazing to see folks (media mostly) have so much contempt for a guy like Mitch Trubisky, and yet be all in for Bridgewater...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, frenchie said:

Contract isn’t bad, but I just don’t understand this love for Bridgewater... he’s done absolutely nothing to warrant this cult following that he seems to have... 

it’s also amazing to see folks (media mostly) have so much contempt for a guy like Mitch Trubisky, and yet be all in for Bridgewater...

Well he looked like a legit QB coming out of Louisville with several traits that you'd see out of a franchise QB, but was drafted by the Vikings and he was put in a crappy archaic offensive scheme with the Vikings that had little to no talent at WR when he was there. The offense was designed to revolve around AP. Then he went to the Saints and went undefeated as a starter last season, and essentially looked pretty good especially the last few weeks as a starter for the Saints when he started to show some more confidence making more difficult throws. As a starter last year he had 99.1 QB Rating, 9 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, and completed 68% of his passes. As mentioned before he continued to look better in the Saints offense as the season went on as he posted QB Ratings of 131.2, 94.7, and 100.9 in his last 3 games as a starter, and had 7 touchdowns to 1 interception in those 3 games. If anything, I think the Panther got a really good deal on this one. Generally it seems when a player goes to a division rival fans bad mouth the player and try to play up the negatives with the player leaving, but despite him going to the Panthers I can't help but say they got a quality player with some upside at QB going forward.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

As a starter last year he had 99.1 QB Rating, 9 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, and completed 68% of his passes.

IIRC both interceptions were passes that hit their intended target in the hands. One off Ginn’s hands, one off Kamara’s.

Edited by Dome

1 hour ago, Dome said:

IIRC both interceptions were passes that hit their intended target in the hands. One off Ginn’s hands, one off Kamara’s.

Bridgewater is insanely accurate. I'd say that and his football knowledge (understanding of the game) are top 5 in the NFL. His play style is conservative and effective.

Getting into a rhythm early is important though, so a few short passes usually help open up passes 10-25 yards down the field.

2 hours ago, Dome said:

That's true, but he also had several sure picks dropped, so I'm calling it even.

But yes, he was very safe with the football and you knew he wouldn't lose you the game even if he didn't carry the team.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:04 AM, Teen Girl Squad said:

Lol at the dudes here trash Mariota when he’s been way better than Teddy.

• Like 1

Happy that it looks like Teddy has finally managed to find a spot that looks like he could get the chance to really show what he can do as a starting NFL QB again.  But the whole Cam Newton situation still kinda looming...it'd be just Teddy's luck for that to blow up on him and send him back to the bench or something.