Panthers signing QB Teddy Bridgewater (3 years, $60 M)

RaidersAreOne

On 3/20/2020 at 9:43 PM, bomont said:

So where does Newton go? 

Well the musical chairs are getting pulled out from underneath him daily. So I'm guessing NE on a cheap, we the only ones left type deal.

He's screwed! Unless Washington  or the Jags comes calling too? Which I doubt.

Based on the contract given by the Panthers to quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, he’s likely not at serious risk of being kicked to the sideline in 2020. Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Bridgewater receives a $15 million signing bonus, an $8 million fully-guaranteed salary in 2020, up to $750,000 in per-game roster bonuses, and a $250,000 workout bonus. That’s $24 million in cash flow for the first year of the deal. That isn’t the kind of contract that a team would give to a player who is destined to take a seat behind a rookie.

The deal also includes a $17 million base salary for 2021, $10 million of which is fully guaranteed at signing, with the same per-game roster and workout bonuses. In 2022, the base salary is $20 million, non-guaranteed. The deal also includes the same per-game roster and workout bonuses.

So that’s $63 million over three years, and $42 million over the first two — with $33 million guaranteed. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/20/teddy-bridgewaters-contract-implies-hell-be-the-2020-and-maybe-2021-starter/

Call me an optimist, but I can see Teddy excelling with our personnel. You’ve got two guys in CMC and DJ Moore who make the majority of their production with catch and run. They don’t need bombs to produce. Then adjust how we use Samuel and he can do damage that way also. An effective short to mid range passing game can work. 

It’s the defense that’ll let us down. 

Edited by DaveDX
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Well the musical chairs are getting pulled out from underneath him daily. So I'm guessing NE on a cheap, we the only ones left type deal.

Me too. Redskins makes no sense, Jags maybe if they have room.

Bridgewater was a lot pricier than I would have expected.

The way I view this contract is that Teddy did really well last year and appears to be a good if not great QB.

20 million is nothing for a QB. He probably ranks around 18th or so in compensation and it will go lower when Mahomes signs his deal.

If you factor out the rookie contract guys who are not eligible for 20 yet then Teddy is really one of the lowest paid starters.

I am OK with Carolina seeing what he can do with McCaffery and those WRs.

This does not stop them from drafting a young kid.

The cap hit for cutting him before year 3 is only 5 million.

If they trade him before year 2 its about 10 million.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

The way I view this contract is that Teddy did really well last year and appears to be a good if not great QB.

20 million is nothing for a QB. He probably ranks around 18th or so in compensation and it will go lower when Mahomes signs his deal.

If you factor out the rookie contract guys who are not eligible for 20 yet then Teddy is really one of the lowest paid starters.

I am OK with Carolina seeing what he can do with McCaffery and those WRs.

This does not stop them from drafting a young kid.

The cap hit for cutting him before year 3 is only 5 million.

If they trade him before year 2 its about 10 million.

I hope that the panthers don’t take a QB early. I want to see Teddy succeed as a starter, seems like a good spot for him in Carolina.

48 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I hope that the panthers don’t take a QB early. I want to see Teddy succeed as a starter, seems like a good spot for him in Carolina.

They could take a guy in round 3 or they could think Kyle Allen can grow into a quality backup with starter potential.

Its always good to have 2 guys you like, especially when your 1 is just on a short deal.

Edited by SkippyX

On 20/03/2020 at 4:48 PM, LowMotorGuy said:

My goodness Panthers just paid 20mill a year for David Garrard.

I can almost wrap my head around this, in the sense that they're spending a lot of money on kinda the definition of "mediocrity" at the QB spot.  Very "surrounding cast dependent" type game manager QBs with limitations.  But other than that...Garrard and Teddy are such different players...

Garrard was a pretty stoutly built dude who could be counted on for probably 20 yards a game as a runner.  Teddy...especially since the injury, has been pretty much strictly a quick trigger pocket passer.

I still like Teddy and hope he finds some success, and i really liked him coming out of the draft...before the long and winding road brought us to here.  But honestly...i think at this point, i'd think about taking Garrard during his prime years, over what we've actually seen from Teddy in his "prime" right now.  

On 21/03/2020 at 11:36 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Jaguars would certainly be an interesting landing spot.  It's totally unclear whether this team is coming or going, and they've got the prospect of trying to capitalize on Minshew at a dirt cheap price if they can surround him with a cornucopia of weapons and simultaneously rebuild the defense somehow.

Throw in the uncertainty of whether Cam will ever really be even close to the same player if his foot never lets him be the same running threat.  It's a lot of balls in the air.  I don't really see it happening...but at the same time, it'd be an interesting scenario.  I wouldn't be upset if they tried it.  Minshew probably even gives the situation some weeks of keeping the team kind of afloat if Newton's rehab takes a while to get him up to speed again.  He'd be walking into a situation where he could get yanked in favour of Minshew after a few bad games though, just like Foles...and this Jaguars team is clearly in the middle of either a rebuild, or some sort of super confusing retool on the fly.  Hard to read.

I really don’t understand this deal but certainly hope that Bridgewater is better than I think he is, because I want to root for him. Given the options out there though, I’m not sure he’s worth this kind of investment or really that much better than Kyle Allen, if you just want a stopgap. Which to me is the best case scenario with Bridgewater. Tyrod Taylor type of signing. In this case though, I think he’s probably good enough to lose you out on a really high draft pick next year but not good enough to compete for a playoff spot.