Tom Brady to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers

showtime

• 3 weeks later...

This is the strangest pickup to read in a long time. For one, I don’t think he’s physically capable of giving anything more than an average season at this point. But he comes in being Tom Brady, which means everyone on the roster now thinks they have a Super Bowl team and that he’s the magic ingredient it takes, which elevated everyone else’s play. Tom Brady is like schrödingers quarterback at this point cause he doesn’t add what it requires to make it far in the playoffs and he does. 

3 minutes ago, Tyty said:

This is the strangest pickup to read in a long time. For one, I don’t think he’s physically capable of giving anything more than an average season at this point. But he comes in being Tom Brady, which means everyone on the roster now thinks they have a Super Bowl team and that he’s the magic ingredient it takes, which elevated everyone else’s play. Tom Brady is like schrödingers quarterback at this point cause he doesn’t add what it requires to make it far in the playoffs and he does. 

I think he can offer more than that. It's clear from watching last season he still has the arm (unless that goes in the off-season), maybe lost a little zip, but he can still missile a ball in if he needs to. He's still got the pocket step, in fact this is at its peak. He probably doesn't have the same reflexes or snap judgement, that's inevitable. He won't have lost any of his intelligence or defense reading abilities, but does have to learn an entire new system. He's smart though.

He'll be better than last season, simply due to having genuine weapons to throw to. Mike Evans is the best WR he's had since Moss, comfortably. If the run game and D is good enough, he'll take them further than last season.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 4

On 5/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

He won't have lost any of his intelligence or defense reading abilities, but does have to learn an entire new system. He's smart though.

I wonder how much Tom will be learning a new system, as well as Arians changing his system for a guy who you honestly might just want to let run as much of his own system as you can

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

How some of it could work offensively. As long as Bruce isn't too stubborn about his vertical scheme.

https://theathletic.com/1683618/2020/03/19/how-tom-brady-and-bruce-arians-will-adapt-to-each-other/

NFL.com’s Michael Silver had a conversation at the combine with Arians about how he and Brady would potentially adapt to each other, and Arians expressed that he was willing to collaborate with Brady on the playbook and “meet in the middle.” Silver summarized the conversation in a tweet thread.

When I asked Arians about the notion that some viewed Brady as a poor fit for his offense — because the coach likes using seven-stop drops, deep throws and other routes that don’t always develop quickly — he shrugged and said it wouldn’t be an issue,” Silver wrote. “Again, he seemed willing to adapt his approach to Brady’s strengths, and to the things with which Brady is most comfortable. He viewed it as a collaboration.”

Brady will likely get to add some of his favorite plays from New England to Tampa Bay, but there are parts of Arians’ offense that already fit Brady’s strengths. For example, Arians has an extensive empty package that he seemed to use a lot more when he was with the Cardinals. In his empty sets, he had running backs run wide receiver routes. Brady would feel right at home throwing option routes to running backs.

Edited by Xenos

Yeah Tom can still throw zingers, people. They'll keep a lot of verticality in their playbook. There will be options underneath though, and I think instead of forcing it to Evans, he'd take the underneath options to the RB or TE or slot. This will mean fewer jump ball attempts for Evans, a lot fewer interceptions and childish fans claiming 'see Brady can't throw deep'. :D