Jaguars sign LB Joe Schobert, 5 years 53.75M (22.5 gtd)

.Buzz

3 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'm happy. Been a big fan of Schobert for years.

Plus improves the WLB position, not just the MLB spot.

Big time get. Now either nab a big NT in FA or grab Brown/Kinlaw at 9.

2 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

i like the signing but i dont like having almost 30 million in 2 starting Lbers. 

Yeah.  It seems like a good signing to patch a glaring need with an established vet.  Ends up being an upgrade at two different LBer spots by kicking Jack to OLB where he hopefully fits better again.

But it is a crapton of money to have invested in a LBer corps.  Though that's really still more about Myles Jack being massively overpaid than Schobert as a FA really.

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It seems like a good signing to patch a glaring need with an established vet.  Ends up being an upgrade at two different LBer spots by kicking Jack to OLB where he hopefully fits better again.

But it is a crapton of money to have invested in a LBer corps.  Though that's really still more about Myles Jack being massively overpaid than Schobert as a FA really.

🤨 both are way over paid you have all this money placed on your new OLB in Jack. + You just overpaid a MLB when your team weakness is the run and the players weakness is stopping the run this is a match made in Jaguars heaven. 

Edited by DuvalsKing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

https://overthecap.com/player/myles-jack/4749/

Seems like we have a decent shot of saving 5 million next year. 

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

🤨 both are way over paid you have all this money placed on your new OLB in Jack. + You just overpaid a MLB when your team weakness is the run and the players weakness is stopping the run this is a match made in Jaguars heaven. 

Jack i agree is overpaid based on his production this far however hes finally gonna play the position hes best suited towards

11 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Jack sure.

Schobert is not way overpaid. He's been listed as a guy that should go for right around 10M for a while and where the ILB position is now $ wise. If he's overpaid, it's by 1-2M per, but the guarantees are so low it has very little impact on how we shape the roster long term. 

3 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

They would have been better off giving 54 mill to Reader (If accepted.. I mean he did sign with the Bengals) I would have been more optimistic about that. I think you could have found a solid MLB in the draft to fill that spot. 

Reader is a 2-down player though. I think I may be with you due to our massive run D issues but that's an unfortunate truth.

Schobertis known as a tremendous leader that gets everyone in the right spot (something we've lacked since Poz) and one of the best coverage LBs out there. He's also a great locker room guy (again, another massive issue).

He's a very good, but not elite, inside LB. Littleton (who is coming off a better year ) but not nearly the track record got 12M and that was considered a steal by most. Blake Martinez who isn't close to Schobert got $10M per.

Edited by .Buzz
  • Like 1