Jaguars sign LB Joe Schobert, 5 years 53.75M (22.5 gtd)

.Buzz

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

This is all well and good.  Deals that are easier to get out of are better for the team and future flexibility.

But at some point, it'd be nice if we were going into a big FA signing and weren't just immediately trying to justify it by talking about how easy it will be to get rid of the player later, when they don't live up to the deal.  It's so defeatist.  Even if in this case (and many others), it's probably absolutely correct to start worrying about the outs before the ink is even dry.

20 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

This is all well and good.  Deals that are easier to get out of are better for the team and future flexibility.

But at some point, it'd be nice if we were going into a big FA signing and weren't just immediately trying to justify it by talking about how easy it will be to get rid of the player later, when they don't live up to the deal.  It's so defeatist.  Even if in this case (and many others), it's probably absolutely correct to start worrying about the outs before the ink is even dry.

Justify it? 

Schobert is and has been well regarded. He was one of my favorite targets of FA. If a few here don't like him that's fine, but no one is trying to make sense of it. It's just being heralded as a very team friendly deal while being a big addition.

25 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

He might’ve been a favorite but he still has a fatal flaw in his ability to make tackles consistently. Its going to be so frustrating to see a RB need to get to the 50 for the 1st the RB is met at their own 45 and he misses the tackle and the RB gets the 1st

Yes, he has some struggles in that area. He's still seen/viewed as an above average inside linebacker and one of the best coverage inside backers in the league (in a pass heavy era) and forces a lot of turnovers.

He'll miss a tackle here and there, sure, but the guy can tackle. He's going to be a huge improvement to our LB corps and give us a similar presence leadership wise/making sure people are in the right position as Poz. He was easily the second best LB behind Littleton on the market.

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yes, he has some struggles in that area. He's still seen/viewed as an above average inside linebacker and one of the best coverage inside backers in the league (in a pass heavy era) and forces a lot of turnovers.

He'll miss a tackle here and there, sure, but the guy can tackle. He's going to be a huge improvement to our LB corps and give us a similar presence leadership wise/making sure people are in the right position as Poz. He was easily the second best LB behind Littleton on the market.

Didn't he have like the 2nd highest missed tackle rate for qualifiers last year? That doesnt sound like someone who can tackle consistently. 

11 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Didn't he have like the 2nd highest missed tackle rate for qualifiers last year? That doesnt sound like someone who can tackle consistently. 

Yet he still finished top 11 in the league in tackles. He is always around the ball and has very good instincts. You'd wish he was a more sure tackler but he also has more opportunities than pretty much anyone when you take into account how often he's involved with a ball carrier.

As I said, he definitely has issues at times in the run game. But I'd much prefer a vastly superior all around player in Schobert than Blake Martinez who may be a thumper/sure tackler yet gets put on skates and is below average when you get him out of the box.

If Schobert didn't have his questions around his run D, he'd be elite and would be getting paid in that $16-$17M per year range like Mosley and co. No one's saying he's going to come in here and immediately change the D by himself. But he's going to be a large upgrade while likely helping fill/improve WLB as well.

No other LB outside of Littleton on the market would have been a better get. It also allows us to focus on other positions in the draft and not force us into Murray/Queen at 20 who you'd hope to be at the level Schobert has proven to be when all is said and done.

You guys will love him, IMO. Just one of those dudes who's easy to root for. Certainly not elite, but a really solid LB. Like you guys said, he excels in coverage but isn't the most physical LB and is a bit inconsistent as a tackler. But hell, our entire defense has sucked at tackling for the past couple of years.

I get why we didn't resign him, but I wish we would have. I'll still be rooting for him.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DawgX said:

You guys will love him, IMO. Just one of those dudes who's easy to root for. Certainly not elite, but a really solid LB. Like you guys said, he excels in coverage but isn't the most physical LB and is a bit inconsistent as a tackler. But hell, our entire defense has sucked at tackling for the past couple of years.

I get why we didn't resign him, but I wish we would have. I'll still be rooting for him.

Appreciate the insight.  I don't mind the signing.  There wasn't much else out there in FA, and i think anything to help our trash LBer corps is bound to be a positive.

I think the problem i'm having at least...is that what i know of Schobert, and what you and everyone else is describing there...basically sounds like a more polished version of Myles Jack.  Who was totally exposed as a MLB for us - yet got a big money extension.  We already have basically that player, and it was infuriating to watch.  Now we're going to have less physical, non-imposing, missed tackle twinsies at MLB and WLB on the field at all times?

Granted, i think Schobert in what i've seen, has much better instincts to at least get to the right place more regularly.  But it's a ton of money piled up in a pair of guys who are going to be your every down LBers...with very similar profiles and weaknesses.  As much as it's a passing league, you still need to stop the run, or teams will happily grind away all day.  You still need sure and decisive tacklers who can jump in and blow up all the fly sweep, screen game, goofing around in the flats business that is all the rage lately.  And deal with the mobility and running threat of a bundle of QBs these days.

I'd probably feel a lot better about Schobert, if we still had Telvin Smith around playing at a top level...instead of Myles Jack playing at a poor level i guess.  It's less about not liking Schobert as an addition, and more about just not really liking the overall composition of the LBer corps with both of them together.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I guess maybe that reputation is healing...But it's hard to feel like it's really anywhere close to actually "healed", with other stuff that's going on.  Between Calais comments on the way out, Dennard contract falling apart, Yan refusing to play for this team, etc.

I'm glad Schobert apparently talked to people who have had a good impression of playing in Jacksonville/London...and seems to be excited to play for Wash and Co.  There are certainly Jaguars and former Jags who i'd imagine would speak highly of the organization.  But at the end of the day, it has a whiff of hyping the hand that feeds.  Not many players are gonna come out and straight up say, "i just signed here because they offered the most money in a low tax state".

• Like 1