Outside perspective on the Saints game

MookieMonstah

Late to the party but I don't think the sky is falling quite yet for you guys.

Really I thought the offensive play calling was good, if not great. You had two, maybe even three if I remember correctly, huge blown opportunities because of drops by Ted Ginn and Brandon Coleman. If Willie Snead plays this game I think it comes down to the wire.

Vaccaro did as good a job on Gronk as anyone I can remember, he let up catches but he was always in great position and Gronk just made the play but the key is that he was always making the good tackle and holding him to no YAC.

Saints pass rush is absolutely atrocious, I won't sugar coat that.

Lattimore is going to be a sure fire stud, he had some great plays that made him look like a 5 year vet out there. I also really like Marcus Williams. Bell is kind of meh and I already touched on how well Vaccaro looked on Gronk.

Overall, I dont think the score really indicates how well the Saints played. Two-three big drops really changed the outcome of this game for you guys and its tough to beat a Patriots team that just got embarrassed at home, I don't think it was any surprise that they came out with every thing they had.

With all that said, I do think its time for you guys to move on from Payton. I don't think he's a bad coach, but much like Reid in Philly I think its just time for both parties to go in different directions...Although that hasn't exactly worked out for the Eagles.

6 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Late to the party but I don't think the sky is falling quite yet for you guys.

Really I thought the offensive play calling was good, if not great. You had two, maybe even three if I remember correctly, huge blown opportunities because of drops by Ted Ginn and Brandon Coleman. If Willie Snead plays this game I think it comes down to the wire.

Vaccaro did as good a job on Gronk as anyone I can remember, he let up catches but he was always in great position and Gronk just made the play but the key is that he was always making the good tackle and holding him to no YAC.

Saints pass rush is absolutely atrocious, I won't sugar coat that.

Lattimore is going to be a sure fire stud, he had some great plays that made him look like a 5 year vet out there. I also really like Marcus Williams. Bell is kind of meh and I already touched on how well Vaccaro looked on Gronk.

Overall, I dont think the score really indicates how well the Saints played. Two-three big drops really changed the outcome of this game for you guys and its tough to beat a Patriots team that just got embarrassed at home, I don't think it was any surprise that they came out with every thing they had.

With all that said, I do think its time for you guys to move on from Payton. I don't think he's a bad coach, but much like Reid in Philly I think its just time for both parties to go in different directions...Although that hasn't exactly worked out for the Eagles.

Dunno how you thought the playcalling was good.  It was ok, much better than how atrocious it was in the first game, but Payton is still calling 40 yard bombs to butterfinger Ted Ginn on 3rd and 2, and very predictably calling running plays when everyone in the stadium knows it's about to be a run.  And sure enough, it gets stuffed at the line.  I thought the red zone playcalling could be a lot better also.  Maybe we're just spoiled with years of great playcalling though, I do admit it's possible.

Cam Jordan is a great pass rusher, but he has zero time to get to a QB because our secondary can't cover anything.

Gronk looked like he might not be 100%, I wouldn't bet my money that Vacarro or anyone else slowed him down.  And even an 80% Gronk is more than enough to embarrass our defense.  An easy drop or he could have had 2 TDs.

There were some key drops that hurt us big time, I'm hoping Snead helps to remedy that problem.  

The crux of the problem is the fact that our defense is so bad, that our gameplan is ruined before the first quarter is over.  The running game becomes a nonfactor quick when you're down by 3 scores.

Yes, it's time to move on from Payton.  We're going nowhere with consistent historically bad defense.

Gronk was 100% before he left the game, definitely. Vaccaro did a great job on him. Gronk isn't a guy you can stick a man on and shut him down, but once Vaccaro was covering him it was pretty close. Gronk was making good catches but Vaccaro was giving him nothing to work with after that, which is about the best you can hope for.

A coach has to trust that his NFL level talent can make the play...The playcalling was good, and Ginn was often open. He just needs to produce and make those plays. You can't fault Payton for Ginn not catching open passes. I know he has the history of not being the most sure handed guy, but thats the risk you take with a guy like him. Had he made those 2 catches, which he's fully capable of, this would be a totally different discussion.

I don't think the Saints are a Super Bowl contender but I wouldn't be surprised if they finished this year at 9-7 or 10-6. You guys also need to get your OL healthy, man oh man was Brees struggling to find time in the pocket.

While i can appreciate your optimism, sadly its fallen on deaf ears around here. We have been hearing that type of rederioc from our coaching staff and front office for 4 years now. Willie Snead dont play defense so his impact wpuld have made little to no difference in this game IMO. 

This staff put all their eggs into this season and its lookong worse than the years prior. The seams are starting to come apart and you can see it in the desperarion ploys by this head coach and by the subliminally comments by certian players.

Its over and its about time.

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

While i can appreciate your optimism, sadly its fallen on deaf ears around here.

I'm still optimistic depending on how these next couple games go. If we lose both, my optimism is completely gone. Ultimately, I'm ready to move on from Payton and Brees but I still want to see these guys win. As mentioned above, we may just be spoiled to fantastic offense and won't settle for less B|

5 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

Worm, you really gotta stop using that word lol

I know, thats that coona** butching of the english language. Hard to get out the ol bayou boy! ?

Now Brees comes out and tells the fans to hang in there and that they believe. I truly feel Brees is a great guy who cares and its his job to believe that but you have to think that behind closed doors hes got to be bangin his head aganist the wall. 

Im just really intrested to see how this season plays out because if this team goes 7-9 or worse and whole sale changes arent made... I cannot support this team through another season like the last 4.

It kills me to say that!

Archived