Jump to content
Webmaster

Where will Drew Brees play next year?

Recommended Posts

I noticed the Saints fans were discussing the possibility that both Sean Payton and Drew Brees could be gone if the Saints can't turn it around after an 0-2.   If that happens, where will Drew Brees go next season?   What team could he turn into a contender?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Texans seem like an obvious choice, Broncos are another option but they might stick with Siemian/Lynch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually was looking at his contract situation a while back, and Saints are in a pretty weird situation.  The Saints can't franchise tag him, and with the void in his deal it has an $18M dead cap hit.  According to Over The Cap, they've got roughly $3M in cap space this offseason which complicates their ability to re-sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arizona. I think he'd be outstanding in that offense, guarantee Fitz would play another year if he came in, and would have the best RB in the NFC with a drastically better defense to help him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacksonville is the first team that jumps to mind.  If they build up their OL a bit, they have the weapons and defense to go a long way.  They just don't have a functional QB.  Brees would give them that and could turn them into a real contender.  Plus, he could think he'd have an easier path to the playoffs as the Colts are a mess and the Texans will have a 2nd year QB.  The Titans look to be the only real threat to win the division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The immediate team that comes to mind for me is the Jacksonville Jaguars.  If Blake Bortles cannot turn it around and consistently produce at an acceptable level, I think there is a decent chance the Jaguars may look to replace him.  Drew Brees more than likely would want to play for a contender, and I believe the Jaguars could be just that with consistently good quarterback play.  

Another team could potentially be the Denver Broncos.  They do not have much money invested in Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, or Brock Osweller.  Still a long way to go, but if none of those guys can get the job done and Drew Brees is available, the Broncos could be a great fit.  Denver obviously is a team with Superbowl aspirations and they are an excellent all-around team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Texans seem like an obvious choice, Broncos are another option but they might stick with Siemian/Lynch.

I cannot see the Texans as a choice.  At this juncture, they should be all-in on Deshaun Watson; He looks very promising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jaguars easily. Their defense is looking good early in the season and their receiving corps is decent. I like Fournette a lot and as long as their OL is respectable, they're in a good place. They should have cap room as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, showtime said:

I cannot see the Texans as a choice.  At this juncture, they should be all-in on Deshaun Watson; He looks very promising.

Yeah, I don't see the Texans being anywhere interested in Brees unless we're talking about a 1 or 2 year deal.  Although, he's 38 years old which a 1 or 2 year deal would make sense for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jaguars are an interesting option because they should be good enough to win six or seven games in the AFC South, which likely knocks them out of the race for one of the top quarterbacks in the draft. My main hesitation is that it looks like Marrone wants to build around a power running game and defense and I can't envision Brees signing up to hand the ball to Fournette 350 times next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The Jaguars are an interesting option because they should be good enough to win six or seven games in the AFC South, which likely knocks them out of the race for one of the top quarterbacks in the draft. My main hesitation is that it looks like Marrone wants to build around a power running game and defense and I can't envision Brees signing up to hand the ball to Fournette 350 times next year.

Actually, if you look at the Saints the year they won the SB, they ran the ball a lot.  468 times to be exact.  And Brees threw it 544 times.  So they ran it 46.24% of the time.  

Not to mention, I think Brees would happily hand it off if it meant a better shot at getting him a 2nd ring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

The Jaguars are an interesting option because they should be good enough to win six or seven games in the AFC South, which likely knocks them out of the race for one of the top quarterbacks in the draft. My main hesitation is that it looks like Marrone wants to build around a power running game and defense and I can't envision Brees signing up to hand the ball to Fournette 350 times next year.

You'd have to imagine that IF Drew Brees signs with Jacksonville, he'd open up the playbook a bit more than if he was with Blake Bortles whose struggled to prevent turnovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Jacksonville is the first team that jumps to mind.  If they build up their OL a bit, they have the weapons and defense to go a long way.  They just don't have a functional QB.  Brees would give them that and could turn them into a real contender.  Plus, he could think he'd have an easier path to the playoffs as the Colts are a mess and the Texans will have a 2nd year QB.  The Titans look to be the only real threat to win the division.

Very interesting idea.   I wonder what the Jags fans think.  @iPwn, @Adrenaline_Flux, @.Buzz, @Tugboat, @Jags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea why the Saints would want to let Brees go when bringing in a new coach, assuming Brees doesn't start regressing. Keeping Brees allows them to keep one of the better offenses in the league and lets the coach just focus on building up a defense and bringing in some QB who can sit for a year or two. All the new FO/coach would have to do is build an average defense and you're looking at a playoff contender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You'd have to imagine that IF Drew Brees signs with Jacksonville, he'd open up the playbook a bit more than if he was with Blake Bortles whose struggled to prevent turnovers.

It's certainly possible. Admittedly, that may be wishful thinking on my part. Especially since I think they're only a Colin Kaepernick kind of quarterback away from being an 8-8 or 9-7 type team. I'll be interested to see what the Jaguars do with Allen Robinson this offseason, because if you're trying to lure Brees, I'd imagine you'd have to be offering him more than a Hurns/Lee combo with virtually nothing from the tight end spot.

I struggle to see Brees leaving New Orleans regardless, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility. I could almost see him ending up with the Redskins when Cousins heads to San Francisco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×