Where will Drew Brees play next year?

Webmaster

15 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

My main hesitation is that it looks like Marrone wants to build around a power running game and defense

I wouldn’t worry about what Marrone wants to do. He shouldn’t have a job with us come next season. But then again, we are the Jaguars, so who knows.

At this point though, I’d be all for signing a vet or trading for someone like Alex Smith. 

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It's certainly possible. Admittedly, that may be wishful thinking on my part. Especially since I think they're only a Colin Kaepernick kind of quarterback away from being an 8-8 or 9-7 type team. I'll be interested to see what the Jaguars do with Allen Robinson this offseason, because if you're trying to lure Brees, I'd imagine you'd have to be offering him more than a Hurns/Lee combo with virtually nothing from the tight end spot.

I struggle to see Brees leaving New Orleans regardless, but I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility. I could almost see him ending up with the Redskins when Cousins heads to San Francisco.

Like I mentioned, New Orleans is in cap hell.  They've got ~$3M in cap space going into next offseason.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You'd have to imagine that IF Drew Brees signs with Jacksonville, he'd open up the playbook a bit more than if he was with Blake Bortles whose struggled to prevent turnovers.

Pretty much this.

3 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

Very interesting idea.   I wonder what the Jags fans think.  @iPwn, @Adrenaline_Flux, @.Buzz, @Tugboat, @Jags

I'd be all for Brees or another veteran guy to come in. Draft a guy hopefully in the first round and let him sit back and develop. Sort of like what the Chiefs are doing with Mahomes.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Pretty much this.

I'd be all for Brees or another veteran guy to come in. Draft a guy hopefully in the first round and let him sit back and develop. Sort of like what the Chiefs are doing with Mahomes.

That I think Brees would take issue with.  If he came in, I think he would want some kind of guarantee that Jax wouldn't spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB for the...two? years he was there.  He'd want guys who could contribute immediately and help him win that second ring. 

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Like I mentioned, New Orleans is in cap hell.  They've got ~$3M in cap space going into next offseason.

Aren't they almost always in cap hell though? Looking at their roster on overthecap, I have no real idea how they are in such rough shape.  Not a ton of dead money and only a few truly big deals. I'd expect Loomis to do whatever he can to keep him (if they end up being legitimately terrible, the idea of luring a new coach with Brees and the chance to take your pick on a QB of the future would have to be enticing). Though I guess it's possible that he just can't make it work at this point.

Sidenote: Mickey Loomis has been with the Saints since 2001. That's almost unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

That I think Brees would take issue with.  If he came in, I think he would want some kind of guarantee that Jax wouldn't spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB for the...two? years he was there.  He'd want guys who could contribute immediately and help him win that second ring. 

Not sure how he can expect a franchise to not look into the future at all though. Not like our luck with QB's has been great so I'd be ok building up the trenches on both sides and bringing in more weapons offensively too but not sure how great of an idea it'd be to not draft a guy for the future with him just being a short-term option. If we're competing for the division/going deep in the playoffs we aren't likely going to have a chance to draft as high as we will again after this year (although we still may be out of the top QB's range if we get 6-7 wins).

Just now, .Buzz said:

Not sure how he can expect a franchise to not look into his predecessor though. Not like our luck with QB's has been great so I'd be ok building up the trenches on both sides and bringing in more weapons offensively too but not sure how great of an idea it'd be to not draft a guy for the future with him just being a short-term option. If we're competing for the division/going deep in the playoffs we aren't likely going to have a chance to draft as high as we will again after this year (although we still may be out of the top QB's range if we get 6-7 wins).

Well...it is a win-now league.  A deep playoff run or two would give Marrone the capital of having a few years to get a young QB and develop him.  But if I was Brees, I would look at what the Broncos did when Peyton signed in drafting Osweiler, and try to make sure that that didn't happen.  At least not the first year he was there.  

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Aren't they almost always in cap hell though? Looking at their roster on overthecap, I have no real idea how they are in such rough shape.  Not a ton of dead money and only a few truly big deals. I'd expect Loomis to do whatever he can to keep him (if they end up being legitimately terrible, the idea of luring a new coach with Brees and the chance to take your pick on a QB of the future would have to be enticing). Though I guess it's possible that he just can't make it work at this point.

Sidenote: Mickey Loomis has been with the Saints since 2001. That's almost unbelievable.

Their situation isn’t even bad. They have $31M available next season (after factoring in Brees’ current $6 mill on the cap for that season) and no real contracts expiring other than Brees when his contract is voided. And they get hit with an $18M penalty in 2019 if the contract is voided and they don’t rework it. 

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Well...it is a win-now league.  A deep playoff run or two would give Marrone the capital of having a few years to get a young QB and develop him.  But if I was Brees, I would look at what the Broncos did when Peyton signed in drafting Osweiler, and try to make sure that that didn't happen.  At least not the first year he was there.  

That's a fair point. 

I'd be totally fine with inking Brees and building up the rest of the team in hopes that we could finally start competing. Just feel like it'd be hard for us to not take into account that he likely is just a short-term option and would have no fallback plan behind him. Would likely need to package draft capital in a year or two to move up and get a guy. 

Think I speak for most Jaguars fans when I say we just want to have success and not be in draft mode come late September/early November every year. I think Brees would do that with the current roster/another set of draft picks & free agency next offseason (Telvin and/or ARob (hopefully both) need to be locked up though).

13 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I think I misused the calculator.  I think I was using their 2017 salary cap space.

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

That's a fair point. 

I'd be totally fine with inking Brees and building up the rest of the team in hopes that we could finally start competing. Just feel like it'd be hard for us to not take into account that he likely is just a short-term option and would have no fallback plan behind him. Would likely need to package draft capital in a year or two to move up and get a guy. 

Think I speak for most Jaguars fans when I say we just want to have success and not be in draft mode come late September/early November every year. I think Brees would do that with the current roster/another set of draft picks & free agency next offseason (Telvin and/or ARob (hopefully both) need to be locked up though).

Oh, I absolutely get your point and it's the way the Jags should look at it.  But if I was Brees and looking at signing with Jax...I'd point out that Lavonte David, Vinnie Curry, and Kelechi Osemele were the three picks right after Brock.  Is one of those guys good enough quick enough to help Peyton get two rings instead of one?  

So I'd try to get a clause saying no QBs before round 4 the first year or two I was there.  

Archived