Raiders sign TE Jason Witten (One year, $4 M, $3.5 M gt'd)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I wish this was a zero year deal. Still makes zero sense. And I don’t get the he can be a mentor stuff. Waller pulled himself out the gutter he don’t need no mentor and the rook was very good. 

We have a good TE coach too but I still like this addition. Just because we have two good TE's already, doesn't mean Witten can't teach them a ton. He's the ultimate professional and likely a first ballot HOFer. His experience is going to be a huge help especially if we make it to the playoffs.

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

We have a good TE coach too but I still like this addition. Just because we have two good TE's already, doesn't mean Witten can't teach them a ton. He's the ultimate professional and likely a first ballot HOFer. His experience is going to be a huge help especially if we make it to the playoffs.

How do you post the news so fast? I’ve been reloading that guys twitter game every 15 mins for the last few days and you beat me to it.

If Gruden starts running a lot of two TE sets, that is going to take someone off the field. Either the FB comes off the field (most likely) or a WR. I thought we were fine in our base sets last year. Jacobs was getting decent running lanes and the passing game was ok. Hopefully two TE sets don't change much. 

1 minute ago, Steins Gate said:

If Gruden starts running a lot of two TE sets, that is going to take someone off the field. Either the FB comes off the field (most likely) or a WR. I thought we were fine in our base sets last year. Jacobs was getting decent running lanes and the passing game was ok. Hopefully two TE sets don't change much. 

I think we all want 2 TE sets like last year.  But those who didn’t like the move don’t like it cause we’d prefer to have Moreau in there then Witten.  Not to mention he wasn’t that cheap and we ran out of cash for a CB/WR.

i don’t think it’s a horrible move.  But it’s an unneeded luxury when other positions are bare. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think we all want 2 TE sets like last year.  But those who didn’t like the move don’t like it cause we’d prefer to have Moreau in there then Witten.  Not to mention he wasn’t that cheap and we ran out of cash for a CB/WR.

i don’t think it’s a horrible move.  But it’s an unneeded luxury when other positions are bare. 

Yeah the $4M would have been better used elsewhere. I suspect Gruden has a man crush on Witten. 

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

But it’s an unneeded luxury when other positions are bare. 

I agree with this. Fair outlook on it. I'm guessing MM saw some contracts for the CB's and thought he could upgrade a couple depth positions (TE, S, WR) rather than one bigger signing.