Raiders sign TE Jason Witten (One year, $4 M, $3.5 M gt'd)

RaidersAreOne

50 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

If Gruden starts running a lot of two TE sets, that is going to take someone off the field. Either the FB comes off the field (most likely) or a WR. I thought we were fine in our base sets last year. Jacobs was getting decent running lanes and the passing game was ok. Hopefully two TE sets don't change much. 

Ingold played 20% of the offensive snaps last year. Carrier, the 3rd TE, played 17%. There's no starting to run a lot of 2 TE sets because that's already what we did.

29 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

seriously I wouldn’t doubt that or that fact that Gruden  signed O'Leary because he’s a huge Jack Nicklaus fan

Gruden is like an impulsive shopper. He buys everything that excites him. I'm glad we have a GM that will talk him out of things occasionally. Mayock needs to do it more often though. 

• Like 2

It's the running out of money that I have a problem with. Still want a bigger back to spell Jacobs, not 5 TE's...Maybe we thought the Patriots were going to beat us to them.   LOL

If we left Gruden in charge he’d make ever “just need one more piece to contend” type signing and trade, not to mention he’d be trading 2030 1st to get a 6th round QB he loves that’d go undrafted, etc etc .... in the first year of a 10yr contract 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I don’t know details but usually when it’s a guaranteed salary at signing it’s guaranteed if he makes team or not... so he’s 99% making the team 

AB’s contract wasn’t guaranteed till he made the opening day roster hence why we cut him ? 

All veterans deals are guaranteed once they’re on the roster week 1.

Guaranteed salaries usually are guaranteed at signing if they make the team or not.  Example when we signed breno giacomini and he got cut but we still had to pay him 1.0m salary and .3m work out bonus.

22 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

All veterans deals are guaranteed once they’re on the roster week 1.

Guaranteed salaries usually are guaranteed at signing if they make the team or not.  Example when we signed breno giacomini and he got cut but we still had to pay him 1.0m salary and .3m work out bonus.

Didn’t Giacomini get a $1m signing bonus not salary? His salary was $3m.

Edited by Dessie

44 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Didn’t Giacomini get a $1m signing bonus not salary? His salary was $3m.

You may be right about that one.  Sorry I was posting while running errands and not thinking.

but if you look at any FA’s deals with a guaranteed salary on OTC it shows the dead cap it cut og that Amount and no cap savings.

im almost 100% certain even if Witten Is cut during camp were stuck with that cap hit,

I really wish it wasn’t though!  But the Guaranteed salary is just a spread out roster bonus basically.  Vets wouldn’t be signing these deals unless they were guaranteed.