Raiders sign DT Maliek Collins (1 year, $6 M, $5.75 gt'd)

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Lol and you are basing this opinion off of what exactly?  I watched the guy play last year and he is a bum.  Washington would be foolish to think he is the QBOTF....

No dog in this fight....but calling a rookie QB who was raw coming out, forced into a bad spot on a bad team seems right on brand for you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

No dog in this fight....but calling a rookie QB who was raw coming out, forced into a bad spot on a bad team seems right on brand for you.

Time will tell who is right and who is wrong and you're right, he was in a bad situation.  From what I saw he clearly doesn't have what it takes to be a successful QB on the NFL level.  I'm calling him and bum and sticking to that until he can prove me wrong.  What I saw last year was bum in the making.  

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Time will tell who is right and who is wrong and you're right, he was in a bad situation.  From what I saw he clearly doesn't have what it takes to be a successful QB on the NFL level.  I'm calling him and bum and sticking to that until he can prove me wrong.  What I saw last year was bum in the making.  

You're just guessing. Guy's first action he was thrown to the wolves. Had typical rookie struggles but put it together the last 2 weeks. Not a fan of Haskins but that's some foolish logic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

According to Vic, Marinelli told the staff that Collins put up those numbers 20 pounds overweight. Now he's down to 300 and the whole "in the best shape of his life" deal.

How do you play an entire season, your 4th season at that, 20 pounds overweight?

id think you’d lose some of that weight during Training camp and the season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

How do you play an entire season, your 4th season at that, 20 pounds overweight?

id think you’d lose some of that weight during Training camp and the season.

Meh, he was still effective clearly. It could be Marinelli and/or Collins believed he was 20 pounds overweight last season, but it was because they thought it would benefit him in the run game or whatever, and it was only after the fact that they realize it hindered him more than helped him and he needed to drop the pounds to play his best football. 

Sports is all about tinkering with things to try and improve your game. Sometimes you have an idea you think will boost performance in an area or overall and it backfires. Unfortunately you don't know until you try.

The fact that his defensive coordinator and position coach said he was overweight and he's dropped the weight tells me it probably wasn't a lack of commitment or laziness and was likely something they came up with to help, or else he wouldn't sign off on the player to be brought over to his new squad. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Raider said:

Meh, he was still effective clearly. It could be Marinelli and/or Collins believed he was 20 pounds overweight last season, but it was because they thought it would benefit him in the run game or whatever, and it was only after the fact that they realize it hindered him more than helped him and he needed to drop the pounds to play his best football. 

Sports is all about tinkering with things to try and improve your game. Sometimes you have an idea you think will boost performance in an area or overall and it backfires. Unfortunately you don't know until you try.

The fact that his defensive coordinator and position coach said he was overweight and he's dropped the weight tells me it probably wasn't a lack of commitment or laziness and was likely something they came up with to help, or else he wouldn't sign off on the player to be brought over to his new squad. 

That’s what I was getting at.  He likely bulked up on purpose, as the team wanted to give him more snaps (he lead team in DL snaps) and throughout the season he and the team realized he was more effective around 300-305 then 320ish.  

i doubt he was just plus 20 pounds of fat due to poor eating and conditioning in the offseason.  
hopefully we get him to play around 305 which is probably his best weight.  Collins was 6’1 7/8” 311 at the ‘16 combine. I’d have to guess 305-311 is his ideal weight for quickness and strength.  He makes plays off quickness and explosion off the snap.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

That’s what I was getting at.  He likely bulked up on purpose, as the team wanted to give him more snaps (he lead team in DL snaps) and throughout the season he and the team realized he was more effective around 300-305 then 320ish.  

i doubt he was just plus 20 pounds of fat due to poor eating and conditioning in the offseason.  
hopefully we get him to play around 305 which is probably his best weight.  Collins was 6’1 7/8” 311 at the ‘16 combine. I’d have to guess 305-311 is his ideal weight for quickness and strength.  He makes plays off quickness and explosion off the snap.

I agree. It seemed like it was by design, one I wouldn't have agreed with, but it happens. Rod was just trying to sell his guy saying he was that efficient and effective even while being a little heavier than he probably should have been because we asked him to. It does go to show that even if he wasn't at his best weight he was still effective doing his job. 

I hope they keep him around 305 as well. We don't need him trying to eat doubles and simply stuff the run. That's what Hankins does best. We need him getting up the field and causing havoc. That's something we haven't had consistently in a while. Lighter and quicker is the recipe for success and Rod seems to realize this as well. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I agree. It seemed like it was by design, one I wouldn't have agreed with, but it happens. Rod was just trying to sell his guy saying he was that efficient and effective even while being a little heavier than he probably should have been because we asked him to. It does go to show that even if he wasn't at his best weight he was still effective doing his job. 

I hope they keep him around 305 as well. We don't need him trying to eat doubles and simply stuff the run. That's what Hankins does best. We need him getting up the field and causing havoc. That's something we haven't had consistently in a while. Lighter and quicker is the recipe for success and Rod seems to realize this as well. 

One hundred percent.  He’s going to be a penetrating 3T or even play some 1gap 1T on passing downs.  He’s here to shoot gaps and disrupt not clog gaps and free up LBs.

i would like to add 20lbs is probably an overestimate.  Coaches aren’t gonna say he was 307 the year before and was 324 the year before.  Then say he was 20lbs overweight.  So 13-16lbs gets rounded up to 20.  20 pounds has a hyperbole.

• Like 1