Raiders sign DT Maliek Collins (1 year, $6 M, $5.75 gt'd)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Roninho said:

If we can get Mayowa and Dion Jordan back imo we have a very strong rotational d-line

Ferrel - Nassib - Jordan

Hankins - Hall

Collins - Hurst

Crossby - Mayowa - Key

Minimum imo we need at least one of Benson/Dion or another guy, and preferably both.

It’s pretty solid but I just don’t see that elite difference maker there to be honest. Maybe I’m downplaying Collins and maybe Crosby steps up again and becomes an elite edge defender (which seems the most likely) but it seems like we have a bunch of quite good guys and no real focal point. If this DL was going against us wouldn’t be overly worried if I’m honest, solid but not spectacular though I hope they all grow and give me a pleasant surprise.

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

It’s pretty solid but I just don’t see that elite difference maker there to be honest. Maybe I’m downplaying Collins and maybe Crosby steps up again and becomes an elite edge defender (which seems the most likely) but it seems like we have a bunch of quite good guys and no real focal point. If this DL was going against us wouldn’t be overly worried if I’m honest, solid but not spectacular though I hope they all grow and give me a pleasant surprise.

My issue on defense right now too. They are lacking that star player on defense. Collection of lunchpail types right which is great, but really need that piece to bring it together. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

My issue on defense right now too. They are lacking that star player on defense. Collection of lunchpail types right which is great, but really need that piece to bring it together. 

Yeah.  We need that star player or really we need 1 in the front 7 snd 1 on the back end.

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Oh i agree. I see it as a very good rotation, imo very little drop off when we sub our starter.

That should be a force late in the season and late in games. 

As for the base starting d-line, yeah that in itself is not impressive, i would not be to worried playing them.

However not sure what we could have done in FA to make it much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What do you think it would take to trade up for Simmons? 19 this year and the 2021 1st we got from the Bears? More?

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Abram??? A draft pick this year. Crosby?? I mean I get what you saying. But Rome ain't built in a day. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

What do you think it would take to trade up for Simmons? 19 this year and the 2021 1st we got from the Bears? More?

If you're going to give up a ton of draft capital you trade up for Chase Young, an apparent stud player at an impact position.  I like Simmons a lot but our need for another LB after FA has diminished quite a bit.  We also don't have the Bears 2021 1st round pick. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

43 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Abram??? A draft pick this year. Crosby?? I mean I get what you saying. But Rome ain't built in a day. 

Exactly! We were bad on defense last year, I mean we had guys like Compton, Jordan and Swearinger roll off the couch and come in and start for us. Now, after FA we have a very solid Front 7, full of young guys, or guys just entering their prime. In the secondary we can use a stud FS and CB, but we have Mullen who looks legit and Abram who is going to be a tone setter. Add to that, we still have 5 picks in the top 100, with a GM who killed his first draft. 

We haven’t had the sexiest FA, but we had the one we needed. We added a ton of depth and rotation guys, that will allow us to stay fresh, healthy and if someone goes down one of us won’t have to suit up lol. We had probably the worst depth in the league last year, that won’t be the case this season.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't mind this defense at all.  I'd rather have a bunch of great players than 10 turds and Khalil Mack.  This is definitely a step in the right direction compared to last years defense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

I don't mind this defense at all.  I'd rather have a bunch of great players than 10 turds and Khalil Mack.  This is definitely a step in the right direction compared to last years defense.

I agree 100 percent and said that from the second we traded Mack.  Look at how screwed the Cowgirls are now with all that money tied up in Dak, Zeke, Cooper, DLaw and that Oline.  They are beyond screwed with depth and keeping anyone on that D.  They should be able to get LVE signed but they literally will have nothing else.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

100%. I like the direction. Just saying that via the draft, they need to find that "dude" who brings it all together. That said, outside Okudah, Young and Simmons... I don't see a star defensive player. Plenty of potential though. Murray might be that guy... skills, speed and leadership.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

100%. I like the direction. Just saying that via the draft, they need to find that "dude" who brings it all together. That said, outside Okudah, Young and Simmons... I don't see a star defensive player. Plenty of potential though. Murray might be that guy... skills, speed and leadership.

I think Abram is going to become that dude who brings it all together.  He just looks the part, talks the part, acts the part, everything in terms of personality and demeanor.  We all remember that hit on the Denver WR.  Hit so hard the guy couldn't get two feet in bounds.  If my bet was on anyone to become that dude, it would be Abram.

2 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think Abram is going to become that dude who brings it all together.  He just looks the part, talks the part, acts the part, everything in terms of personality and demeanor.  We all remember that hit on the Denver WR.  Hit so hard the guy couldn't get two feet in bounds.  If my bet was on anyone to become that dude, it would be Abram.

I can see that. I need to see him in coverage. That was his knock coming out. And he plays reckless which could lead to a lot of injuries in his career.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If you're going to give up a ton of draft capital you trade up for Chase Young, an apparent stud player at an impact position.  I like Simmons a lot but our need for another LB after FA has diminished quite a bit.  We also don't have the Bears 2021 1st round pick. 

nvm. my bad o.O