Bengals sign DT DJ Reader (4 years, $53 M)

RaidersAreOne

12 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

What his pressure rate. To me that’s more important than sacks

We didn't sign him to rush the passer. We signed him to be a load in the middle of the defense and to occupy blockers, making everyone around him better.

It's a lot of money for a DT best suited for 2 downs, but good players cost a lot of money. I'm glad we have him. 

10 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We didn't sign him to rush the passer. We signed him to be a load in the middle of the defense and to occupy blockers, making everyone around him better.

It's a lot of money for a DT best suited for 2 downs, but good players cost a lot of money. I'm glad we have him. 

He'll be in some to rush the passer. At that pay grade, he's going to play a lot. More than the 57% he played in Houston. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

He's by no means a decent pass rusher. Houston usually took him off the field in passing situations and he has less than 10 career sacks, playing next to JJ Watt.

In the TCMD mock offseason Reader got about that much but I signed Shelton for 6 mil and spent the money saved at LB. 

Have you watched him play?  Ever?  Because you are describing someone else.  Reader may only have 6 sacks, but had almost 40 pressures too

11 minutes ago, theJ said:

He'll be in some to rush the passer. At that pay grade, he's going to play a lot. More than the 57% he played in Houston. 

No doubt there is some pass rush upside, but we didn't bring him in expecting him to be a 8+ sack guy.

As much as I like this move, I can't help but feel we're still missing someone beside Geno in pass rushing situations. We need that Wallace Gilberry-type interior rusher. Hubbard hasn't looked great in there and is better suited to rush off the edge, while Dunlap and Lawson are first up on the outside. Maybe Wren can show something this offseason.

10 hours ago, theJ said:

That 57% was just pass downs.  He played 722 snaps last year, so roughly 70% of the time.  He was on the field as much or more than Geno Atkins was.  25 years old, elite run stopper, versatile, 4 year deal, there is literally nothing to not like about this deal unless you are just a contrarian.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

That 57% was just pass downs.  He played 722 snaps last year, so roughly 70% of the time.  He was on the field as much or more than Geno Atkins was.  25 years old, elite run stopper, versatile, 4 year deal, there is literally nothing to not like about this deal unless you are just a contrarian.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/2019-snap-counts.htm

Either i'm looking at this wrong, or you are.  What i'm reading is that he played 621 Defensive snaps (57%), and 70 ST's snaps (16%).  Am i off base here?

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Reader will suck up the double teams which will free up Geno Atkins to take guys on one on one.  Atkins isn't what he once was, but he's still a very good DT.

They also wanted to place an emphasis on keeping Atkins fresher and reducing his snaps. This helps with that.