Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

12 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Chaps my hide the Broncos aren't going after a WR2 like Breshad Perriman. I get the blocking TE (has PIT ties) buthe's still gonna be a backup. Getting Perriman would prevent predictibility and create flexibility in the draft for us.

First thought is 1) Perriman is not a great WR. He is a specialized deep threat only who cant run a short/intermediate route to save his life. He is going to be on his 4th team in 5 years. If that happens it is not because your good at your job.

2) Vannett is supremely average. (and I am a OSU fan that lives in Columbus) He is also going to be on his 3rd team in 3 years. I have no idea why this move was made considering this team already has Fant, Heuerman, Fumaglai and Butt. Vannett is not a game changer and he is a prototypical backup TE. Jeff Heuerman is a better all around TE than Vannett is so I again, I really dont understand the Broncos infatuation with loading up and spending picks/money on 14 TEs from the B1G every year.

I would have much rather seen Denver pick up Delanie Walker as TE2 behind Fant as opposed to Vannett for probably a cheap deal...

Edited by AkronsWitness

Klis says we’re basically done with free agency tweeting “Elway group expected to pause, there will be a signing here and there but safe for mock drafts to commence.” 

I suppose there’s a chance they do something and I just got word they re-worked Callahan’s deal to open up $2M in cap room. 

We’re sitting here with $20M+ in cap space and we’re done? Either Klis is wrong and Elway has something big planned. 

24 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis says we’re basically done with free agency tweeting “Elway group expected to pause, there will be a signing here and there but safe for mock drafts to commence.” 

I suppose there’s a chance they do something and I just got word they re-worked Callahan’s deal to open up $2M in cap room. 

We’re sitting here with $20M+ in cap space and we’re done? Either Klis is wrong and Elway has something big planned. 

Seems to me that Elway does his best signings after the surge and he will nab one great signing around training camp or am I wrong?  

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I have no idea why this move was made considering this team already has Fant, Heuerman, Fumaglai and Butt. Vannett is not a game changer and he is a prototypical backup TE. Jeff Heuerman is a better all around TE than Vannett is so I again, I really dont understand the Broncos infatuation with loading up and spending picks/money on 14 TEs from the B1G every year.

The move was made because Heuerman will be cut saving almost $4million in cap space. The move effectively makes €2million more available in the salary cap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

First thought is 1) Perriman is not a great WR. He is a specialized deep threat only who cant run a short/intermediate route to save his life. He is going to be on his 4th team in 5 years. If that happens it is not because your good at your job.

2) Vannett is supremely average. (and I am a OSU fan that lives in Columbus) He is also going to be on his 3rd team in 3 years. I have no idea why this move was made considering this team already has Fant, Heuerman, Fumaglai and Butt. Vannett is not a game changer and he is a prototypical backup TE. Jeff Heuerman is a better all around TE than Vannett is so I again, I really dont understand the Broncos infatuation with loading up and spending picks/money on 14 TEs from the B1G every year.

I would have much rather seen Denver pick up Delanie Walker as TE2 behind Fant as opposed to Vannett for probably a cheap deal...

Regarding Perriman, he caught over 50% of his targeted passes ( 6 TD's as well)  and that was from Jameis Winston, not the most accurate QB in the league. But it's more his speed that will open up the opportunity for Sutton and Fant to flourish in the middle of the field. Plus, given that Lock has that cannon of an arm, I'd bet Shurmur  will be able to take advantage of it. Moreover, it's not a given we'll be able to get Ruggs or any other speedster in the draft, plus it opens us up to BPA, leaving us less predictable which is always to our advantage. 

As for Vannett, he's more of a blocking TE and has connections with Munchek via PIT. Given the Gordon signing, a blocking TE makes sense. 

45 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well, Wolfe and Harris are still out there, we could use another Dlineman with experience not to mention another CB or WR2

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think there has to be another CB and DL but they can afford to slow play it with so many guys available and most of the league-wide money off the board.

Yeah I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t address at least one more position. We still have some pretty glaring holes 

On 3/20/2020 at 5:03 PM, jsthomp2007 said:

Well since your son said he hates then we should all hate this deal.

Sometimes I wonder about you JS.  My son is a bronco fan and a minion like the rest of us fans.  Don't see why you had to personalize your response specific to him but I guess I shouldn't have echoed that there are basically two opinions re the signing.  Love it and hate it and guess some indifference as well..  I wonder if it was posters like you who ran him off this board to begin with!  

Since Elway has been addressing our needs though trades with teams who are "in distress", what about trading a 3rd or 4th for CB Quinton Dumbar ??  He's only 27, has good size  was ranked as PFF's #2 CB and WAS doesn't want to give him a new contract, which we have some money to do just that. Would solidify our secondary, alleviate any need in the draft for another young CB and he helps create a stronger defense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Yeah I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t address at least one more position. We still have some pretty glaring holes 

Still need starters at WR2 and outside CB for sure, as well as someone to push Morris for the C job, and another solid DL for the rotation. Can’t imagine we’re gonna sit on $15M in cap space and try to fill all of those at the draft. 

• Like 1