Free Agent Frenzy

jsthomp2007

11 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

We've had a top 5 CB since Champ; I am hoping the Broncos can draft a guy to be in that tier.  

They clearly need another guy to toss in the CB2-3 mix. I would either wait until camp cuts to see if a good veteran gets released because of $$$. There are always a few big names that become available that we just don't know yet.

That or I say Elway goes big and trades up to 7-10 range if he sees Okudah sliding if teams get OT/QB crazy. That would be awesome.

Not sure the pick value but maybe a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year could get it done.

Edited by AkronsWitness

We’re sitting on over $28M according to Spotrac and both Klis and now Legwold (heard him on Altitude 92.5 today on the way home) both say we’re done, by and large. 

This is an outrage IMO. Even if they’re budgeting $10M for rookies (which would be very excessive) that’s still enough to sign at least two more key FAs and have more than enough money left for in-season contingencies. 

What the hell is going on at Dove Valley? Has Matt “pour me another drink” Russell been sharing his flask? I kid but but good freakin’ grief. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We’re sitting on over $28M according to Spotrac and both Klis and now Legwold (heard him on Altitude 92.5 today on the way home) both say we’re done, by and large. 

This is an outrage IMO. Even if they’re budgeting $10M for rookies (which would be very excessive) that’s still enough to sign at least two more key FAs and have more than enough money left for in-season contingencies. 

What the hell is going on at Dove Valley? Has Matt “pour me another drink” Russell been sharing his flask? I kid but but good freakin’ grief. 

So one more time:

That’s $28M not including Glasgow and Vannett, which will most likely cut that number in half. However, the draft pool doesn’t work like that at all. DRAFT PICKS REPLACE SALARIES ALREADY ON THE CAP SHEET. If the team only signs their top 5 picks (the ones who will make more than the current minimum on the roster), the most that it can possibly increase our cap hit is ~$2.75M (dead money cuts not included). 

• Like 1

It’s really 10-15 million they can realistically use, and cash budget is not being accounted for, which may mean non-guaranteed or minimal guarantee contracts the rest of the way. Which may mean it’s in a lot of these players’ interests to wait for better offers with more security. It’s also been a week in a climate where players can’t visit teams or take physicals. Relax. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Think you can pencil Glasgow in at RG. 

I'm just curious to see how it shakes out. Morris, Schlottman and Glasgow can play all three IOL positions. Morris and Schlottman being ex TCU centers but Schlottman now with 5 games starting at RG.

I think you're right, gut feel is that Glasgow starts at RG, Morris or Schlottman at center and the one left over as our IOL backup.Better position than we've been in in some time.

• Like 2

I'm just curious to see how it shakes out.

There is literally zero chance this team doesn't start Glasgow after spending on him. Zero. Even ignoring the fact that he is a monumentally more talented and tested player than the two TCU guys, he could come in and stink in TC and likely still get the nod as no GM wants to admit a sunk cost the same offseason a guy was signed. But that wont be the case because he is a very good player and will help cover whomever is our weak link at C. 

Also, regarding our minimal FA signings, is it possible that the FO realizes we are not close to contending and thinks we should aim for comp picks in 2021 and roll the space over for a year to make splash moves once Lock is going into his junior year? That likely is when we will know if a window is truly open for the team to make a playoff splash. It would give us Lock on a rookie deal for two seasons while we spend big around him. 

We are set to have 71M in cap space next year with only Simmons, Lindsay (RFA), AJ (RFA), Bolles and Purcell to resign. And to a lesser extent Walker and Bausby. Assuming Lock develops we may be in a good position to have a 2014 like FA spending spree while the QB is still on that rookie deal. Rolling over another 10-15M could be the smart move. This offseason may be seen as a year too early to really go hard at the FA talents. Let this season play out and if it goes well, and if it seems the foundation is set but the 'put them in the mix' pieces can be paid for in FA, spend like hell in 2021. 

Just as possible that we are holding back because of ownership uncertainty or lack of liquid cash but I prefer my hypothesis lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Also, regarding our minimal FA signings, is it possible that the FO realizes we are not close to contending and thinks we should aim for comp picks in 2021 and roll the space over for a year to make splash moves once Lock is going into his junior year? That likely is when we will know if a window is truly open for the team to make a playoff splash. It would give us Lock on a rookie deal for two seasons while we spend big around him. 

We are set to have 71M in cap space next year with only Simmons, Lindsay (RFA), AJ (RFA), Bolles and Purcell to resign. And to a lesser extent Walker and Bausby. Assuming Lock develops we may be in a good position to have a 2014 like FA spending spree while the QB is still on that rookie deal. Rolling over another 10-15M could be the smart move. This offseason may be seen as a year too early to really go hard at the FA talents. Let this season play out and if it goes well, and if it seems the foundation is set but the 'put them in the mix' pieces can be paid for in FA, spend like hell in 2021. 

Just as possible that we are holding back because of ownership uncertainty or lack of liquid cash but I prefer my hypothesis lol

I’ve been thinking along these lines as well.  
Some of that goes into all the picks this year Denver has.  If a decent chunk of them are contributors by next year that leaves only a few spots ideally to upgrade via FA.  Can spend top dollar for the top guys and be super selective. 

Now that might be optimistic but with 6 picks in the top 95, 6 in the top 108, it’s not inconceivable to me that there are 3 valuable contributors by 2021.   

The offense should ideally be set with a 3rd year Fant, Sutton, a couple 2020 rookie WRs and Lindsay/Gordon

I like your hypothesis a lot the more I think about it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

There is literally zero chance this team doesn't start Glasgow after spending on him. Zero. Even ignoring the fact that he is a monumentally more talented and tested player than the two TCU guys, he could come in and stink in TC and likely still get the nod as no GM wants to admit a sunk cost the same offseason a guy was signed. But that wont be the case because he is a very good player and will help cover whomever is our weak link at C. 

I never said they wouldn't start him, of course they will. I'm just not sure whether it's center or RG.

Thats why I said I'm curious how it shakes out. Do you know who will eventually line up where? I sure don't.

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I never said they wouldn't start him, of course they will. I'm just not sure whether it's center or RG.

Thats why I said I'm curious how it shakes out. Do you know who will eventually line up where? I sure don't.

Honestly, I think it takes about three shakes.  Any more than that you are playing with yourself.